P4 Motherboard for a NAS

ptruzzi

n00b
I need a motherboard suggestion. I've a Pentium 4 / 2.4C GHz 800MHz CPU sitting aorund and want to build a Network Attached Storage (NAS) server using a SATA RAID. I've already got the 4 x WD SATA 250 GB drives, a nice 3Ware Escalade 9500S-4LP controller and a beautiful Chenbro RM311 case.

Motherboard Requirements
Must Have:
- Stable
- On board SATA (Don't need RAID I have a real harware card for that). I'm going to run the OS off a 36 G raptor.
- USB2 ports
- 64 bit PCI slot (for the RAID card)
- Stable
Nice to have:
- 1 Gb LAN

I thought a nice Inter server board would fit the bill. But couldn't belive the prices for them. The S875WP1-E is $200. I'm looking for a nice stable system, what do these boards have that my Abit IC7-MAX3 don't?

As for slots, I don't need a lot many PCI. I need one for the RAID card, and two others for LAN cards (even if the Motherbaord has built in NICs I've had them die). So what Motherboard do you suggest?

AGP slots aren't something I really need as my server will probably be headless. I took a quick look at the P4SCT and P4SC+II specs and it looks like the main difference is the +II has support for 6 SATA drives via both a Intel (2) and a Marvell (4) chip. Since I'm just using the SATA to load the OS and the storage will be on the 3Ware card I think 2 SATA is enough.

I really like that SuperMicro comes out and states that they support Operating Systems other than Windows. I will be loading Fedora Core 2 (well probably 3). Linux is pretty good about eventually supporting most all chips, but it is better when the vendor states up front they are compatible. [It looks like SuperMicro's support for Linux is only partial. The P4SCT+ and P4SCT+II use a Marvell SATA controller for four of the six ports which does have a GNU license - pst 11/08]

However, it looks like the board is ~$220. Ouch! Now I think the Intel S875WP1 for $200 looks pretty good. But then again it only has three 32-bit/33MHz PCI slots <sigh>.

Paul

Back