P4/Mobo info

budec

Gawd
I've been out of the loop for awhile, and also (err was) a staight edged AMD guy... but I've been looking around for awhile and going to give one of these fancy P4 @ 800s a go (strictly for gaming purposes of course)...

Have two questions though... what is Prescott? I know it's a new core, but what's it do and why would I want (or not) want one?

Also, the second quetion, is I need a good recommendation for a P4 (candlewood? the 800 ones).. here are the requirements:

Must be stable (not even going to OC this thing).
Must support up to 2 gigs of RAM
APG 8x

No onboard audio/video/extra junk (I got a really sweet sound card and don't like obboard stuff... just had conflict problems in the past and the extra caps make it run hotter).

Any suggestions?

Oh, and the 3.2 ghz are a lot more green then the 3.0 ghz procs... is the cost worth it?

What is Prescott?
It's a P4 with 1MB L2 Cache instead of 512KB. This doubling of cache is suspect to increase performance across the board by a "good" amount. (nothing specific yet)

Prescott will require newer voltage regulation units, and will use 1.5V instead of the 1.6V-1.7V people use now.

Prescott will also have 3.4Ghz versions, whereas the regular P4s can only do 3.2Ghz.

Prescott will also have improved HyperThreading.
---------------------

If you're not going to OC at all, get the Intel D875PBZ motherboard. Does everything you want and is rock solid.

------------

Also, 3.0Ghz is fine if you dont want to spend the extra cash w/o OCing. Just remember the 2.4Ghz C is the best bang for your buck right now.

Back