P4 2.4A overclocking and (lack of) stability, other ramblings

Zap

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all. My first post here. Been at AT forums since the dawn of time. Maybe I'll hang out here too.

I have an MSI PT880 Neo-LSR board that I got from Newegg recently. I had been running it with a P4 2.53 overclocked to 3.33GHz (175 FSB). Been gaming on it at LANs, etc. Benchmarks, no prob.

I just read the [H} article on overclocking the 2.4A chip. I actually got similar results and saw similar problems of being almost but not quite stable.

After reading the [H] review of my motherboard a few weeks back (well, the one with Firewire) and seeing the blurb at the end of the mobo review about good results with a 2.4A, I ordered a 2.4A chip from Newegg and got it a few days ago.

Initial results were okay. The MSI board won't let me go over 1.6v, and strangely sometimes at full voltage the board would not POST with the 2.4A, though that's the voltage I ran the 2.53 with. At a more leisurely 1.5v I was able to push the FSB up to around 180 or so (3.24GHz). Hmmm, a bit unstable, and still occasional no POST. I kept reducing the FSB and trying anything from default voltage to full 1.6v. I even encountered instability at a mild 2.7GHz/150FSB overclock. Things like... Windows XP just randomly saying "whoops, recovered from a serious error," or machine rebooting either while booting Windows, or right after booting into Windows. But... othertimes it would work fine. Put my [email protected] back in the motherboard, everything's fine again.

Ah well, definately YMMV with this chip, though I'm concerned about the lack of TOTAL stability while overclocked. Still, $150 for two nights of entertainment is still cheaper than ½ hour at my favorite strip club.

Anyone want a used retail box 2.4A chip for cheap?

Tonight I'm permanently (until the next chip :D ) back to my Northwood chip. Gotta have stability for my weekly Thursday night LAN. My entertainment was fiddling with a Duron 1.4 Applebred on a Biostar M7NCG-400 board. It is a mATX board with many OC friendly BIOS options - more than any other mATX board I've personally worked with, and I've worked with a bunch. Highest my setup will POST is around 2150 (10.5x205). 11x200=2200 won't POST, no matter how much juice I give it. Been dropping the speed... 10.5x200=2100 will error out while copying files for a Windows install. 10x200=2000 almost finished the Windows install, until towards the end of the install got a spontaneous reboot. I'm using a Thermalright ALX-800 heatsink with a medium speed Panaflo fan. Has anyone noticed that when you open a Thermalright box you see what looks like the [H] logo?

Well, gotta wake up in six hours for work. ZZZZzzzzzzzzz

It actually didn't run hot at all (assuming you're asking about the 2.4A). I used two coolers with it. First was some cheapie one that looked like the old style stock cooler with a 60x60x20mm fan. That kept it cool just fine, but since I still couldn't clock very high I put on a Zalman CNPS-7000A-AlCu unit running full speed without the fan mate just to see if it could do better. It didn't.

For sale. Pentium 4 2.4A retail box. Hardly used. $110 plus shipping.

Originally posted by Zap
I just read the [H} article on overclocking the 2.4A chip. I actually got similar results and saw similar problems of being almost but not quite stable.

are you sure you werent reading an article about the 2.4c or 2.4e?

oh ok...its the prescott, i thought he had a 200fsb 2.4 or something

maybe there are some bios updates for the board to support prescott better?

Back