OWA issues - help?

Berg0

[H]ard|Gawd
Having some trouble with an OWA install. I didn't do the install, just need to fix it.

Server has multiple private IP addresses, we'll call them 1.1.1.1 1.1.1.2 and 1.1.1.3

in IIS: (iis7 on win2k8)
.1 is for autodiscover
.2 is for a bunch of internal apps; autodiscover, EWS, Exchange, OWA, etc, etc
.3 is for external OWA

DNS a record for owa.company.local goes to .2 (internal DNS)
DNS a record for owa.company.com goes to .3 (external DNS)

Hitting https://owa.company.local works
hitting https://owa.company.com does not work. It used to work.

Unchecking "require ssl" on site bound to .3 allows me to hit the site on port 80 and login to OWA. Firewall rules are all present and working, haven't been changed in a long while.

Valid certificate is installed on the server, and works fine for OWA internally.

I'm stumped.

We need some more info...

It sounds like you're trying to get this to work from the outside world right? If so have you verified that all the routing and DNS are setup properly as well as any FW rules? When you say it "doesn't work" what specifically is happening?

Why so many ip addreses for exchange? One address should be plenty for what your doing. Also are you sure your firewalls are configured to allow traffic on the same interface. owa.company.com would have to go out and back in the firewall (assuming you don't have split dns setup). I know for our sonicwall we had to setup a rule to allow traffic to come back into the exchange server. We do not have split dns setup.

Whoa there. Way too many IP addresses. There should be no reason to run the IIS websites on more than one IP. You're only asking for problems. I get everything to run off the primary IP of the server, rebuild your OWA virtual directories.

Step 1: Delete and then re-create the Outlook Web Access-related virtual directories

To delete the Outlook Web Access-related virtual directories, follow these steps:
Start the Exchange Management Shell.
Type the following commands. Press ENTER after you type each command.
Note These commands are case-sensitive.
Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory "exchange (default web site)"
Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory "public (default web site)"
Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory "exchweb (default web site)"
Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory "owa (default web site)"
To re-create the Outlook Web Access-related virtual directories, type the following commands at the Exchange Management Shell. Press ENTER after you type each command:
New-OwaVirtualDirectory "exchange" -OwaVersion Exchange2003or2000 -VirtualDirectoryType Mailboxes -WebSiteName "Default Web Site"
New-OwaVirtualDirectory "public" -OwaVersion Exchange2003or2000 -VirtualDirectoryType PublicFolders -WebSiteName "Default Web Site"
New-OwaVirtualDirectory "exchweb" -OwaVersion Exchange2003or2000 -VirtualDirectoryType Exchweb -WebSiteName "Default Web Site"
New-OwaVirtualDirectory -name "owa" -OwaVersion Exchange2007 -WebSiteName "Default Web Site"

I would ditch the current setup and put everything on one IP with one certificate. Then configure your SRV DNS record for Autodiscover.

Thanks for the help guys. Captain: that will be particularily useful I'm sure, I'll give that a shot sat night during their maintenance window.
This particular server (virtual machine) ins't long for this world. I don't like how it was set up, so it will be replaced anyway. I just did not want to have to do it now, too many higher priority items in the pipe.

Thanks for the help guys. Captain: that will be particularily useful I'm sure, I'll give that a shot sat night during their maintenance window.
This particular server (virtual machine) ins't long for this world. I don't like how it was set up, so it will be replaced anyway. I just did not want to have to do it now, too many higher priority items in the pipe.

No problem and good luck!

Back