Overwatch Is Proactively Scanning YouTube For Toxic Behavior

Unless I am an executive, I don't represent the company outside of work hours. I have the right to privacy and a life outside of work. Again, unless I have a percentage ownership of the company, or cut of the profit, I have zero vested interest beyond employment, and should not be treated like I AM the company, unless it is during work hours.

Fatty usually means a blunt.

You mean to tell me words can mean different things?

I agree with companies checking your Facebook. You represent them.

This is nothing like that.

S
I'm okay with this. Youtube, Twitch, or even just normal play - give them the ban hammer. Now if RIOT only had the cojonés to ban for life.

But then there's the argument of "Grow thick skin", "This is the internet", "Snowflake" comes up whenever someone wants to take action against "Toxic" behavior.
So what happens when a Snowflake offends a Snowflake? Do they just ban both?

Honestly today’s youth and some older adults need to thicken thier skin, or maybe I am just an ass who doesn’t care if people are offended by words...

I've never played overwatch because I thought it looked stupid... but they can absolutely suck it..

all the snowflakes must be protected all the time...f*ck you snowflakes.. f*ck you... I think like many people I enjoy online gaming to some extent for the opportunity to talk shit to other players.. hell to get shit talked to...nice way to blow off steam in a world full of PC bullshite all the time.

I mean.. it doesn't really matter if some dumb ass calls you a name on the internet / game chat.. just call the a dumb ass and move on... I'm sure you can mute people / block them ? (i don't know don't play OW but in most games you can).

how creepy that a video game company is going to monitor your actions outside the game to determine if you should be allowed to play...

The future is going to be more and more stupid....
want to make a republican act like an entitlement whore? threaten to take his bullying away. bet it really stings that you wouldn't be able to call people n***er and f*ggot anymore, doesn't it? "just name calling" right? "just shit talking" right?

that "just" doesn't transfer to the recipient you asshole, no matter how much people like you think it "should". real life and real humans are a bit more complex than your tidy little binary of "snowflake" or "not snowflake".

and don't forget that these victims paid for overwatch. you're ruining their investment with your apparent need to harass others. BAD REPUBLICAN!

but seriously dude, this is NOT about "just name calling" or whatever. this is about being constantly abused and harassed in a place that people SPEND MONEY ON. if i owned a bar, i'd throw your ass out immediately for acting the way you would on overwatch. if i were a theater employee and you were heard saying "n***er f*g" over and over, i'd throw your ass out and NOBODY WOULD ARGUE!

in YOUR house, you talk however you want, even to your guests. but overwatch is NOT "your house" and other players are not YOUR guests, they're BLIZZARD'S.

so fuck off like you're entitled to act however you want to others in someone else's house.

It's common in sports now to check footage from the game after and, for example, discipline a player for faking a dive in the penalty box (football/soccer).

Don't see this as being any different and think it's a good idea.

This kind of shit is building tension and pressure on society. It all keeps adding up and 'toxic' behavior will be nothing when it finally does blow.

As long as they only worry about what players say using the Blizzard chat, they might have a good case. Start banning folks that are using a 3rd party chat system and they are probably crossing the line.

Unless I am an executive, I don't represent the company outside of work hours. I have the right to privacy and a life outside of work. Again, unless I have a percentage ownership of the company, or cut of the profit, I have zero vested interest beyond employment, and should not be treated like I AM the company, unless it is during work hours.
Yeah, yeah, grandpa. Telling your stories again about back when workers had rights.

want to make a republican act like an entitlement whore? threaten to take his bullying away. bet it really stings that you wouldn't be able to call people n***er and f*ggot anymore, doesn't it? "just name calling" right? "just shit talking" right?

that "just" doesn't transfer to the recipient you asshole, no matter how much people like you think it "should". real life and real humans are a bit more complex than your tidy little binary of "snowflake" or "not snowflake".

and don't forget that these victims paid for overwatch. you're ruining their investment with your apparent need to harass others. BAD REPUBLICAN!

but seriously dude, this is NOT about "just name calling" or whatever. this is about being constantly abused and harassed in a place that people SPEND MONEY ON. if i owned a bar, i'd throw your ass out immediately for acting the way you would on overwatch. if i were a theater employee and you were heard saying "n***er f*g" over and over, i'd throw your ass out and NOBODY WOULD ARGUE!

in YOUR house, you talk however you want, even to your guests. but overwatch is NOT "your house" and other players are not YOUR guests, they're BLIZZARD'S.

so fuck off like you're entitled to act however you want to others in someone else's house.

you mad bro? thanx for proving my point about "snowflakes" however..good job snowflake...

nothing I said has anything to do with calling people racial epitaphs ... I do not , and I will try to intervene / discourage others from doing so...

on the other hand I will call you a "stupid f*cking noob" or "idiot" ..etc...

don't presume to guess my feelings on politics or race you...your parent's basement dwelling neckbeard. (yes i did just make wild presumptions... about you.. deal with it)

I don't see how this is a bad thing. Why shouldn't a company protect its game and users from openly shitty people?

aa113d061853ce23578fd7d38d616062.jpg

There are better ways than to "proactively", which is really reactively, ban hammering rage players by scouring social media. They can come up with better tools allowing players to eject ragers and assess a counter for such ejections that when targets are hit in certain periods of time those players face an increasing amount of lengthier forced timeouts.

Miss the old days of Q2, when people played and typed shit (at the same time) to one another without the players in a match crying like babies! Back in those lower tech days, it seems, we also had better tools to eject REAL ragers from matches/servers and ban them if we needed. No help from the studio that made the game. Just players and match admins working hand in hand to make it fun:)

I don't see how this is a bad thing. Why shouldn't a company protect its game and users from openly shitty people?
830.png

Fine. Then MAKE them act on real time reporting of illicit behavior. This Orwellian attempt to snake their way through social media feeds to find offenders is plain creepy as fuck!

^ You make it sound like somebody's rights are being treaded upon, but a company (or individual) is free to judge you based on your public behavior.

People can lose things like private club memberships for similar reasons, why are games any different? You want to use a private service? Follow the rules.

^ You make it sound like somebody's rights are being treaded upon, but a company (or individual) is free to judge you based on your public behavior.

People can lose things like private club memberships for similar reasons, why are games any different? You want to use a private service? Follow the rules.

Online gaming areas have become a true snowflake space! If you have a thin skin, then you probably shouldn't be online gaming, as if it's not someone saying something that triggers you, it will definitely be something the game does to trigger you...and then you become a target of Big Brother.

And as I stated above, they seem reticent to police the active space in real time or provide adequate tools for players in a match to do so. This after the fact stalking by Blizz does nothing to help a player who may have been truly "harmed" by "words" during play as they'll never tell the reporting party of actions taken against offenders on their behalf. They also don't give people they ban much of a reason/date/time for bans much less ways in which a player might be able to return to community. It's a poor policy if it doesn't allow for options for rehabilitation and return.

Online gaming areas have become a true snowflake space! If you have a thin skin, then you probably shouldn't be online gaming, as if it's not someone saying something that triggers you, it will definitely be something the game does to trigger you...and then you become a target of Big Brother.

And as I stated above, they seem reticent to police the active space in real time or provide adequate tools for players in a match to do so. This after the fact stalking by Blizz does nothing to help a player who may have been truly "harmed" by "words" during play as they'll never tell the reporting party of actions taken against offenders on their behalf. They also don't give people they ban much of a reason/date/time for bans much less ways in which a player might be able to return to community. It's a poor policy if it doesn't allow for options for rehabilitation and return.

It's obvious that Blizzard doesn't have the in-game tools to police the game in a reasonable way, the current model seems to be if player has X number of reports then ban for Y amount of time. This proactive Banhammer is a way to not only eliminate the worst offenders but "send a message" to the community at large that "we care, see us caring?". never mind that No one really cares about people getting butthurt over a few in game insults. Someone griefing or hacking, Ban the shit out of them. but expending resources to track down people yelling "lrn2play noob!" in a twitch feed? Get rekt Blizzard.

Back