overclocking the gtx295

Kellygtp

Weaksauce
what app are you using...

Ive been using Riva...however I don't think Im clocking this card right....

I did try Precision and sometimes i would set the clocks and then hit apply and they would drop back down to what i previously had them at and wouldn't stay...

Am i doing something wrong here?? or are these correct settings?

yjiaqf31smmrdn39yqn.jpg
wuslcwi6xiu6sq684mq.jpg
540alzmfl8ip3em5ggnh.jpg

the monitoring tool in Riva is stating my memory is at 300

im only getting 50FPS in Far Cry2 bench...and online i see benches of 90+...

is this C2D holding me back that much?

I'm not sure what but I hope something is holding the card back because I was getting those rates on my 260...and I just stepped up to a 295 (it's en route now).

Have you tried running it at stock just to see how it does?

I think Farcry 2 is very CPU dependent, more so than almost any other game.

hmm ok well i guess im going to have to read up on the different game benches...

thanks for the insight guys!!

I'm not sure what but I hope something is holding the card back because I was getting those rates on my 260...and I just stepped up to a 295 (it's en route now).

Have you tried running it at stock just to see how it does?

I know!! i was getting almost the same frame rates with my 8800GT's in SLi

I definately think something is going on there with Riva Tuner. Try using Nvidia System Tools . I got my GTX 295 core OC'd to 610 MHz. It will bench around 620-625 but will lock up in games. At 610 core, 1199 memory, 1414 shader I get an average framerate of 67fps in FarCry 2 Benchmark Tool @ 1920x1200 (4x, Ultra Quality) on a C2D 3.7 GHz. So yeah, 50fps seems a bit low at 4GHz, but you didn't specify your bench settings.

at that rez with that card, you will be cpu bound. with my system sig, q6600 at 3.6, I see approx 40fps at 1920x1200.

Are you sure multi-gpu mode is enabled in your drivers? I dropped my res down to 1680x1050 to match yours and still got 67fps (Ultra Quality @ 4xAA). Something is not right with your setup. Your CPU is the one in your sig, a C2D @ 4GHz? Check your task manager to make sure both CPU cores are there.

at that rez with that card, you will be cpu bound. with my system sig, q6600 at 3.6, I see approx 40fps at 1920x1200.
really? with what settings because that seems low for your overclocked quad core and gtx280 setup? I get 43fps average at 1920x1080 all Ultra settings and 4x AA with a just a 192sp gtx260 and e8500.

really? with what settings because that seems low for your overclocked quad core and gtx280 setup? I get 43fps average at 1920x1080 all Ultra settings and 4x AA with a just a 192sp gtx260 and e8500.

i didn't look at the settings very close. everything maxed out, 8x AA, nets me approx 40fps. with 3.6 quad and my gtx.

i didn't look at the settings very close. everything maxed out, 8x AA, nets me approx 40fps. with 3.6 quad and my gtx.
well that sounds about right since youre using 8x AA and I am using 4x AA and a 10% smaller res.

my bad. should have read the settings closer. i guess the point that stuck out to me was 1680 with a 295, you will be cpu bound.

hmmm ok well it looks like its CPU bound then...

i dont know what else would be messed up on the system...its a fresh vista x64 install with farcry 2 and 3dmarks vantage and 06 installed.oh and WoW.

multi-gpu is enabled....i just keep thinking something isnt right like im missing some setting or something...

both cores are working on the CPU...maybe its just time for a quad../.

you actually need a bigger monitor to enjoy that card with some high rez. :)

hmmm ok well it looks like its CPU bound then...

i dont know what else would be messed up on the system...its a fresh vista x64 install with farcry 2 and 3dmarks vantage and 06 installed.oh and WoW.

multi-gpu is enabled....i just keep thinking something isnt right like im missing some setting or something...

both cores are working on the CPU...maybe its just time for a quad../.

Yeah, but we both run the same CPU. Yours is clocked to 4GHz and mine is a E8400 clocked @ 3.7GHz and I'm getting 67fps with Ultra Quality setting 4xAA (1920x1200). As I mentioned before, I dropped my res down to yours and still got the same average fps. What is your 3DMark 06 and/or Vantage scores - I wonder if those check out ok.

thats true there...

ill run vantage and 06 tonight...I dont recall what they were off the top of my head..
ill post screen s with it too..

im wondering if this card is faulty?? or what else it could be...

Back