Overclocking my AMD

Boardin087

Gawd
im getting a barton 2500 and right now im getting 512 mb of mushkin level 2 pc3200 ram...... how important is bus speed in overclocking.... i may get the pc3500 for a little more or i may even even get the pc2700 at 1 gig (2x512) for like 190.... they are all mushkin level 2 but i was just wondering how important bandwith is in comparison to a p4 where its very important. thanks

also what heatsink/fan should i get with my ship.... the retail one is not going to be enough will it????? IM getting a antec lanboy for the case btw. thanks agian

well, if its post week 43 barton bus speed is all you can overclock (unless you do the mobile trick, at least, that's what it seems). As for HSF, if you want best get a sp-97 or a cnps7000a-cu

if you dont get 240x12 YOU SUCK!

;) jk, if your chip is after week43 like the above poster said, all you will be able to do is OC the FSB

but, if you manage an older one id first get your FSB to 200(pretty much stock for 2500's now a days:rolleyes: ) and then try both roads of FSB and multiplier OCing

what's your budget? the less you spend on the heatsink, the more you worry about heating problems

what do you mean by "cheaper heatsink"? Like under 50 bucks, or sub 30 bucks

I currently use this Zalman to cool my barton [email protected] (1.7v) It gets my idle to 35C and 39C prime95 load temps, using a low noise 120mm fan with a duct to better direct airflow. Ambient is measured as 29C by the mobo sensor. At 20 bucks you cant beat it. Temps with a 92mm for me were only a little higher with load in the mid 40's. I've had this sink since it first came out 2 years ago and loved it ever since.

sink.jpg

zalmans are quite quiet (try typing that ten times fast...)

i would personally recommend the zalman 7000CU over just about any other air cooler if quiet is what you want. it works really well and is pretty close to silent in normal mode. (w00t) however it is $43 at newegg rather than $20. it's up to you.

with those flower sinks, i've seen some simple mods that drop temps drastically (add a fan blowing away from the heatsink next to the one blowing in if you get one of these)

Back