Overclocking and htpc?

sniper991122

Supreme [H]ardness
alright, so my HTPC will be as follows...
3.2ghz p4 prescott, 1gb of pc4300 ddr2, x800 xt, some asus mobo (this and the case are the only parts i dont have right now) with 2x pci-e slots also have the hauppage pvr-150... probably plan on getting an HDTV tuner card as they become more advanced and capable of capturing HD better...

anyway, the HTPC... will also.. have a raid-5 array in it.. using a pci-e raid card and anywhere from 4-7 hard drives.. the raid card will take care of all the thinking so it wont use much if any processing power when accessing data and what not...

my question is if I do plan on watching HD (even anything 1080i/p) I think they recommended the minimum requirements to be a 3ghz p4... It wouldn't be hard at all to overclock the p4 to 3.6ghz or so since I will be buying a new case and doing extensive air cooling...

would I see slow downs when watching some HD that would warrant oc'ing the cpu?

Don't bother OCing it, for starters you're using a Prescott CPU and a X800 XT so heat is already a major issue that you're going to have to deal with and on top of that you're going to dump several HDDs into the system which is going to add even more heat componding the problem.

this is true, however for cooling im doing everything short of water cooling it... should i expect any stuttering with the 3.2ghz prescott? (thats the only reason i'd really want to oc it)

Back