Overclock testing

manny1222

Gawd
So, what's everyone testing overclocks with theses days?
Since I got my 4790K I've just left it at stock/boost clocks with XMP profile. Looking to overclock to see how far I can push my chip. When I built my previous PC in 2012 with a 2500K (4.5 @ 1.25v) I remember testing with Prime95. Is this still what is being used today?

I use Prime95 v26.6 and I run it for several hours using the different tests that it has.

V26.6 is important for folks with newer CPUs as newer versions use AVX extensions which tax new CPUs too much and can damage them.

I use prime, then finish it with handbrake. I find that prime isn't enough, can pass prime relatively easily then crash 5 minutes into an encoding job in handbrake.

Thanks for the replies. I'll plan on using Prime95 then, though I've heard that too about Prime95 not being so nice on newer CPUs.

Thanks for the replies. I'll plan on using Prime95 then, though I've heard that too about Prime95 not being so nice on newer CPUs.

Nah, its not that hard on new cpus, when what it really comes down to is what you consider stable? Like I wrote I can go thru Prime95 for an hour yet crash within 5 minutes of running an encode in Handbrake. Prime95 is NOT the hardest workload your cpu will see.

Nah, its not that hard on new cpus, when what it really comes down to is what you consider stable? Like I wrote I can go thru Prime95 for an hour yet crash within 5 minutes of running an encode in Handbrake. Prime95 is NOT the hardest workload your cpu will see.

Handbrake uses AVX extensions, does it not?

And one runs Prime95 v26.6 specifically to avoid running ANY AVX extensions, yes?

So.... yeah.

Handbrake uses AVX extensions, does it not?

And one runs Prime95 v26.6 specifically to avoid running ANY AVX extensions, yes?

So.... yeah.

You should re-read what you wrote a couple times more. What's the point of Prime if it means jack to actual stability? Is my cpu going to die using AVX? That was the whole point of getting said cpu lol. My final test isn't Prime anhyways, its handbrake. Test it in what yer gonna use it in.

You should re-read what you wrote a couple times more. What's the point of Prime if it means jack to actual stability? Is my cpu going to die using AVX? That was the whole point of getting said cpu lol. My final test isn't Prime anhyways, its handbrake. Test it in what yer gonna use it in.

Gaming doesn't use AVX extensions.

Using a test that uses AVX extensions for game rig stability testing is... not needed. It puts new CPUs in higher stress / higher heat than is required.

That's the point.

If you use handbrake for encoding in addition to gaming on your rig, then yes by all means use it for stability testing.

Gaming doesn't use AVX extensions.

Using a test that uses AVX extensions for game rig stability testing is... not needed. It puts the CPU in higher stress / higher heat than is required.

That's the point.

Re-read my post at #6. It depends on what your definition of stable is. You seem to be in the less stable group with higher clocks. It doesn't matter either way, just down to what one deems stable. That said game stable isn't what the OP specifically asked for, it's what you think everyone wants, which is a bit self indulgent.

Re-read my post at #6. It depends on what your definition of stable is. You seem to be in the less stable group with higher clocks. It doesn't matter either way, just down to what one deems stable. That said game stable isn't what the OP specifically asked for, it's what you think everyone wants, which is a bit self indulgent.

Since you want to nit pick - assuming everyone wants stable with AVX is also self indulgent.

Have a good night.

Sorry guys, didn't mean for it to get heated. I use my rig for gaming (mostly iracing) and streaming my races. I don't really know much about AVX (or what it even means). Just trying to see if additional overclock will maintain my fps above 60 while streaming

Sorry guys, didn't mean for it to get heated. I use my rig for gaming (mostly iracing) and streaming my races. I don't really know much about AVX (or what it even means). Just trying to see if additional overclock will maintain my fps above 60 while streaming

What are you going to use, quick sync? If so yea, you're gonna be using the new extensions which is where all that free speed comes from. But at the end of the day, you'll find out just exactly how stable you are or are not when you run with an OC and encode at that same time.

I've been using Nvidia NVENC recently. Haven't had time to test yet, but I'd rather not have the pc crash in the middle of a race

Back