outlook and exchange, simple question

f1y

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a PC connected through VPN to an exchange mailbox.

I understand that the connection might drop if the server doesn't have enough bandwidth or something, but it's never "down"

If the VPN is shaky, becuase the user is on a hotel network or something they get hit with

exchange offline, or "trouble contacting exchange server" pop-ups.

Is there a way in outlook to increase the timeout to 5mins of downtime, and then it says exchange is offline?

change the timeout period in the options for outlook to more time.

this.

Not sure what version of Outlook your running, but in 2007 it's under:
Tools -> Account Settings -> Change Exchange Account Settings -> More Settings button

then there's a option at the bottom for "x Seconds Until Server Connection Timeout"
default is 30, I believe.

Or you could use Outlook Anywhere to get around possible VPN issues.

Absolutely, as long as the OP is running Exchange 2007 or 2010, Outlook Anywhere is the way to go. Even if the user needs the VPN for files and such, I'd bet that it's more often that just email alone is needed.

Absolutely, as long as the OP is running Exchange 2007 or 2010, Outlook Anywhere is the way to go. Even if the user needs the VPN for files and such, I'd bet that it's more often that just email alone is needed.

We have it setup, but we're currently going through issues.

That's a whole other can of worms.

Exchange is in-house, but the mail server is external. It causes internal email not to reach people setup on rpc over https because exchange tries to send it locally seeing that local user id. So moblie users outside of the domain don't get emails from internal people.

So i'm not a fan of outlook anywhere right now. The VPN connection had an timeout option as well, it was set for 20seconds, I bumped it to 300

Back