OTA HD DVR recorder

Budman

I put the Bad in Bad Grandpa!
Come friday we are pulling the plug on cable tv here. We will have an antenna setup that will pull in about 30 or so stations over the air. What do you guys recommend for a DVR recorder? We currently have the ones from Brighthouse and we will admit we have become spoiled. I was looking at the Channel Master TV CM-7400 Over-The-Air HD DVR but was wondering if there is anything cheaper out there? Would getting a TV tuner card in an old PC be better solution? We want to cut any monthly fees so Tivo is out.

Windows 7 Media Center and Silicon Dust products, in particular the networked tuners. No sense in not being able to watch TV on ANY computer in the house. In addition, any additional Windows PCs with WMC in your house become DVRs.

I did what you want to do a year ago and cancelled my DirecTV. Even with the hardware expense I've saved a lot of money so far.

I use the HD Homerun Dual and love it. You can use multiple for more tuners.
http://www.silicondust.com

Channel Master has always made great products and their tuners/DVRs are no different, but by going with one of those you really limit yourself.

Maybe I should clear something up 1st. I have 4 tv's a 55" two 32" & a 19" that I want to use this on. I would prefer using the TV's over using the PC monitors.

Use a PC as a DVR, stream content to TV's using a boxee, roku, or other media connector. However the channel master looks like a decent all in one solution.

Last edited:
Back