OSX question

BDV

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got a Macbook pro and was wondering something... is there no full screen button?

i.e. Like in windows you click the little "squares" to make the window fit the screen?

Yes, and no.

OSX doesn't force fullscreen in most windows.

Instead it forces to max-size of the window.

I.E. you're looking at something that is 640x480, pressing the green maximize button only makes the window 640x480.

You can drag the bottom right corner, but by default OSX doesn't do that.

It is supposedly coming with 10.7 but /shrug, it's one of those things I missed for a few weeks/a month, and now it kinda makes sense (honestly, why have the white space, if the image/whatever is only that size, why maximize the window around it.) /shrug

The green + is zoom, not maximize. According to the Apple interface guidelines it is supposed to resize the window to fit the contents and expand no further. Seems to be about a 50/50 split between apps that adhere to this and the ones that just go and maximize like a Windows application instead.

I still miss the full screen button after 6 years of having OSX. Mainly for changing web content. Meaning great for one web site not great for another. Then I have to resize. So I just leave it at max to avoid it all.

No full screen yet, but it seems Apple is planning on repurposing the button to actually function for full-screen use in 10.7 Lion.

No full screen yet, but it seems Apple is planning on repurposing the button to actually function for full-screen use in 10.7 Lion.

Note that it will be a true full screen button, not a “maximize window” button.

OS X’s UI was conceived with multitasking in mind. That’s why the green button currently only resizes the window to fit the available content inside, rather than just maximizing the window. The only “true” way to get a maximized window is to drag the the application to the upper left corner and drag the corner to fit.

I still miss the full screen button after 6 years of having OSX. Mainly for changing web content. Meaning great for one web site not great for another. Then I have to resize. So I just leave it at max to avoid it all.

After one year of OSX I find that I wish I had the "green button" in windows. To Liver and OP, to get around this problem in OSX, get Hyperdock. Not only does that program add the windows 7 taskbar preview functionality to your osx dock, it gives you the ability to "snap" a window to the top or the screen for maximizing it, or to the right/left for half the screen size. It really gives you the best of both worlds.

After one year of OSX I find that I wish I had the "green button" in windows. To Liver and OP, to get around this problem in OSX, get Hyperdock. Not only does that program add the windows 7 taskbar preview functionality to your osx dock, it gives you the ability to "snap" a window to the top or the screen for maximizing it, or to the right/left for half the screen size. It really gives you the best of both worlds.

Perfect. Thanks.

Perfect. Thanks.

np, I really like hyperdock and can't recommend it enough.

In addition to that, you should also get BetterTouchTool. It allows you to create custom trackpad gesture shortcuts. I love being able to do expose with a four finger swipe. There are a ton of combinations and it has a ton of functionality. One of my favorites.

God I hope not. Zoom and full screen should be entirely separate like in applications that already support full screen. Being able to resize windows to fit contents at a single click is a lot nicer than dragging window corners to resize.

Stupid apple, you think a simple thing like that they would have fixed by now.

There isn't something to fix. It was a design choice. Read earlier in the thread. OSX was designed for multi-tasking and windows were designed to enlarge to only as large as they need to be.

After a couple of years of 50/50 usage, I find the way windows handles this to be ridiculous. The only time anything gets maximized on my machines is when a friend or relative is messing everything up. :p

After a couple of years of 50/50 usage, I find the way windows handles this to be ridiculous. The only time anything gets maximized on my machines is when a friend or relative is messing everything up. :p

this +1

I always sit down to my 28" monitor to find the fiancee has maximized itunes... annoying. Maximizing is incredibly overrated. Fitting window to contents is infinitely more helpful.

Stupid apple, you think a simple thing like that they would have fixed by now.

go troll elsewhere

That poster was not a troll. Just mis-understood things and was rude, but then you were rude back.

While I work a lot on both osx and windows there are lots of times when you want to max a window in osx. Its a preference that apple choose to put in their operating system. Its a very interesting choice considering apples target audience and the other choices they made with their operating system and computers. A lot of times programs expand dynamically and the only time it gets ludicrous is if its a program that expands lists more than you want to see and you are near a 30" screen. In which case in windows you can W+UP to max it and then W+DOWN to put it down to a normal size again. Or just choose not to max it. There are just not that many cases were + button is an amazing time saver.

On smaller monitors, like laptops, while multitasking, people tend to max all windows and alt-tab. With the resolution of 13 inch macbooks its hard to have two things on the screen anyways and + is just going to give you an extra peak of your desktop background.

Neither way is superior or better for mutli-tasking, nor something people will always find superior after a while. Its a choice, but both microsoft and OSX choose to give us no-choice. I'd rather OSX adopt COMMAND+UP/LEFT/RIGHT/DOWN that windows has and keep the button. Hotkeys are quicker than clicking. But, on the other hand, lots of people think OSX is perfect when it comes to windows management.

Last edited:
Back