OS X FileVault2 - Find Recovery Key

ThirdLeft152

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I did some searching on the forums and the internet and could not find a definitive answer. From my understanding and testing I do not think it is possible, I just wanted to get opinions from you guys.

I am trying to find the recovery key for the volume.

I have a situation where the admin account/password that was used to enable FileVault2 was deleted from the computer after another admin account was created. This new admin account clearly has access to use the encrypted volume as it is the only user account on the computer now and can login after a restart/shutdown. However trying to mount the volume in Recovery mode or through Target disk mode, the new admin password does not work (which i expected). The old admin password (user account who created the FileVault2 volume) was forgotten.

From my past experience the password from the admin account who created the FV2 volume is used to generate the encryption key and therefore the recovery key.

Any ideas how to retrieve the original recovery key without resetting it using fdesetup or any other method?

Back