Original AvP released on Steam

Rebel44

2[H]4U
Edit: its released: http://store.steampowered.com/app/3730/

info about multiplayer: http://pc.ign.com/articles/106/1061386p1.html

Directly from Steam:

About the Game

Aliens Versus Predator Classic 2000 features the Colonial Marine, Alien and Predator Campaigns and the frenetic single-player Skirmish mode from the original title: Alien Versus Predator Gold Edition, which was released to massive acclaim in 2000.

Alien Versus Predator Classic 2000 has been updated to run on modern PCs and laptops using DirectX 9.0c and includes support for Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, however, it does not currently support multi-player.

The three most ferocious species in the universe in a bloodthirsty battle for the ultimate prize: survival. Take your pick: be a Colonial Marine, a Predator or an Alien. Fight through suspense-filled environments: from starships and space stations to colonial bases and eerie planetscapes. One wrong move turns you from hunter to prey.

■Three campaigns: Colonial Marine, Alien and Predator
■Includes all the levels from the original AvP Gold Edition plus the Millennium Expansion Pack
■Skirmish mode against infinite Alien hordes
■Bonus Episodes
■Unique abilities, weapons and equipment for each species
■Scale walls and elevator shafts as an ALIEN with frightening speed as you attack and devour your victims
■Stalk your prey as the deadly PREDATOR using wrist blades, shoulder cannons and stealth mode
■Lock and load as a COLONIAL MARINE using motion trackers, grenade launchers and flame-throwers to exterminate your foes
■Supports Xbox 360 Controller for Windows
■Music from the original soundtrack CD

System Requirements
Processor: Pentium II 400 MMX
Memory: 128MB
Graphics: DirectX compatible graphics card
DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c
Hard Drive:500MB
Sound: DirectX compatible sound card
Controller Support: XBox 360 Controller for Windows

Last edited:
AWESOME. Does it say anything about a release date? IGN is blocked at work.

It will be released before AvP3 - I expect it to be released in late January. Its also very likely it will be bundled for free for those who will preorder new AvP over Steam.

...and it shows it's age a little bit.

Make that a lot. :D Still, it could be interesting if they update the multiplayer. Taking on hordes of bugs was always a fun time.

The big question is will they do anything to make it bloody work with Win 7 64? I've had a hell of a time getting AvP Gold to work. Haven't tried it since jumping to an ATI card, but I can't imagine that having a huge impact.

That game was the best lan party game my group of friends ever played. With respect to Half-Life etc AvP was always the most fun after imbibing!

Its up now, $5. Updated to run on modern systems.

Alien Versus Predator Classic 2000 has been updated to run on modern PCs and laptops using DirectX 9.0c and includes support for Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, however, it does not currently support multi-player.

when I first played the demo for this way back when it came out, an alien came out of nowhere and was running at me and I screamed like a little girl!

Buying this when I get home.

This is indeed awesome, but do you think we'll ever see the sequel? That was my favorite.

Is anyone else having problems with the mouse, like some sort of mouse acceleration? Also, I can't seem to go in a straight line down the y-axis with my mouse. It seems like it randomly goes left and right a little bit as I pull the mouse down.

Is anyone else having problems with the mouse, like some sort of mouse acceleration? Also, I can't seem to go in a straight line down the y-axis with my mouse. It seems like it randomly goes left and right a little bit as I pull the mouse down.
there are plenty of threads about it on the Steam forums so it looks to be a common issue.

Yeah. I took a look. It seems to be an issue with the added controller support messing with the mouse control. I hope Rebellion fixes this.

Wow, that's crazy! I was just thinking yesterday about old classics that I've picked up from Steam and GoG, and wondered why AvP hadn't shown up as it was a really good game. Then I log on today and see this thread...

I've got the original non-gold version, but I might pick this up for $5 anyway. Had some problems with the game in XP/Vista/7...mainly freezing and looping sounds in the intro & menus but when I finally managed to get a level to load I could play it without issues. I'll check out that GameSpy thread but this would be a good title to have in my Steam list.

Does the mouse issue affect aiming or just movement? I don't mind if it's very minor, but I don't want to be unfairly killed due to it...

edit: haha sure enough that GameSpy thread is about the exact issues I had with the game. I could try those fixes but for five smackers I'll probably just buy the Steam version since I don't own the Gold version and expansion pack content.

Last edited:
Yeah. I took a look. It seems to be an issue with the added controller support messing with the mouse control. I hope Rebellion fixes this.

That's stupidly retarded...they should NOT have bothered adding 360 controller support, especially at the expense of issues with the mouse support! This is a PC GAME, and an FPS at that. No one who buys this is going to care about 360 controller support. What, they think they are going to sell this 10 year old PC game to the console crowd (the only people who would care about controller support)? I don't think so. I could see them doing this for racing games, even adventure games...but FFS it is absurd to bother adding controller support to this game.

That's stupidly retarded...they should NOT have bothered adding 360 controller support, especially at the expense of issues with the mouse support! This is a PC GAME, and an FPS at that. No one who buys this is going to care about 360 controller support. What, they think they are going to sell this 10 year old PC game to the console crowd (the only people who would care about controller support)? I don't think so. I could see them doing this for racing games, even adventure games...but FFS it is absurd to bother adding controller support to this game.

Its Rebellion. Anyone that expects them to release a product not screwed up somewhere obviously hasn't played any game they have made since the original AvP. They're a shit developer these days.

Wait, isnt Rebellion the devs behind the masterfully smelly turd of a game, Rogue Warrior?

Well, I purchased it through Steam. It works awesome, without a hitch (except the aforementioned y-axis issue which is a bit annoying, but not game breaking). Today is the first time that I was able to play all the way through the first Marine mission...I had always been too damn scared previously (didn't want to use the image enhancement goggles but they are basically a necessity since the game is so dark).

One thing I noticed is that the guy on the video monitors is different in this version. He has an accent but seems to say the same things; I just thought it was a bit odd that this changed from my disc version.

Yeah the voices are different, but its been so long since ive played the original I dont remember what they sounded like. They didn't sound like bad english accents though.

Anyone else think that the game is going really really fast? I feel like my guy is running 30mph.

Anyone else think that the game is going really really fast? I feel like my guy is running 30mph.

Yessir, I sure know what you mean. First thing I tried out was the skirmish mode with that bunker in the middle of the canyon. Felt like I, and the aliens, were going Mach 5.

Update released:
Updates to Aliens vs. Predator Classic 2000 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Aliens vs. Predator Classic 2000:

Proper widescreen support. Previously the game allowed non-4:3 video modes (e.g. 1920x1080) but just rendered a stretched 4:3 image. Now the game renders at the correct aspect ratio (e.g. 5:4, 16:9, 16:10), with the vertical field-of-view remaining fixed and the horizontal field-of-view changing accordingly. (i.e. 16:9 modes now render more to the sides than a 4:3 mode).

By popular demand, added an “-unlimitedsaves” command line option. By launching the game with -unlimitedsaves in the command line, players can now save as many times as they like, rather than being restricted to a set number of saves per level. To set your command line options, please right-click on the game in Steam’s “My games” browser and select “Properties” and then “Set Launch Options…”. Alternatively you can edit the command line options directly if you are using a shortcut to the game exe.

Replaced timer code with a new high-resolution version for improved accuracy.

Frame-rate now locks to a maximum of 120 to fix gameplay issues when running at very high rates (e.g. when vsync is disabled).

Mouse sensitivity/accuracy improvements for mice with a high poll rate.

Fix for invalid characters in device name in video resolution menu causing rendering problems.

Fix for crash on machines without a sound card / where the sound drivers are invalid. (Game will now run correctly with no sound.)

Sweet. The weird y-axis thing was fixed for me and it's very smooth. One thing, though. I've never played AvP before so when I was playing the Space Marine campaign I noticed that when you hold L Shift to walk, the mouse-look speed also becomes slower. Is the game designed to be that way?

Good to see they promptly released an update that fixes several things.

Just looked at some of the screenshots of the new AvP and it looks SWEET. I really hope they don't screw it up.

I have the old version but of course this "updated" version is tempting.. I hope Monolith/Steam releases AvPII as well!! Looking over the screen shots bring back some fun times, playing this game LAN was a blast!!

As a college project I was able to bring in my PC and hooked it up to a huge projection screen and was able to FRAG in front of the class for a good 15 min!! I believe it was demonstrating game companies, but really for me it was just to see this thing on that huge projection screen… Needless to say while my classmates walked away impressed my teacher did not lol I guess she didn’t like me taking trophies as the pred, hehehe…

wow, doing all this for a 10year old 5 dollar game is amazing. too bad all game makers cant be like this.

They released a patch yesterday, fixed a few things and allow an easy command line option for no save limits.

Back