Optiplex SFF high performance cooling solution?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
My HTPC can probably use an upgrade from its I5 6500. I’m considering a k series processor as I’m pretty sure it’s supported ( optiplex 3040 SFF ) and would be almost 1 ghz upgrade but being a 91w chip, the aluminum SFF cooler may not do.

I see eBay, there are copper parts but they don’t say they are OEM. Is there a high performance copper solution OEM through Dell? Or verification these parts will work without major cooler disassembly? I remember I bought a heat pipe cooler directly from Dell when I put a quad core in an Optiplex 755 MT… I’m considering a 6700K or 6600K to get the 4ghz clock speed

I am curious about what on earth the workload is that you need that clock and proc?

AFAIK, even on the higher end versions of the Optiplex of that gen, the HSF is still only rated to 65W. And given the very "specialized" nature of the HSF, not sure you'd find some sort of "upgraded equal" form factor wise.

Would think the cost of such (if it's possible) would be more than the cost of a newer and more powerful whole computer (talking used).

I think in some games where the processor hits 100%, it could use a little more for a few frames. It’s only got an RX 550 but some games fall short of where it should be and the only thing that is different from a test benchmark computer is it’s got a slower processor… I also CPU encode videos with handbrake.
This is the part I’m looking at. Some of these listings claim 90w
https://www.ebay.com/itm/256075133788

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This turns into a major rabbit hole through searching. A 3050 will support a 7th gen processor. Runs DDR4 and brings an nvme m.2 slot. A 3050 board is $20 and they share cases so it would work. But they take different power supplies so it would cost more than buying a 3050 as a barebones from a recycler

Dont invest in such an old rig, save your money and work to buy something newer over all and you will be much happier probably....

Dont invest in such an old rig, save your money and work to buy something newer over all and you will be much happier probably....
It’s just a project. It literally does everything that I need it to. It might lack 5-10 frames in a couple games but everything I want to run on it does and is playable. I know a newer G series AM4 or 5 Ryzen in an ITX form factor would be best, and I’ve looked into building one but I can’t justify the cost. It’s really only my HTPC/plex server and has served me well for 2 years or so.. I have my main rig which is a Ryzen 5800x with a 6700 XT with a HRR free sync display but I haven’t brought it to my new house yet. It’s in storage

Realistically. I could pop in an I7 6700 and add some ram and it would probably be fine. Depends on how far I want to go. But the 3040 platform isn’t the best. The 50 series brought a lot more to the table one year later

Last edited:
Does it use standard socket mounting? If so whats your max height allowed for cooler?

Does it use standard socket mounting? If so whats your max height allowed for cooler?
I think it’s standard mounting but the back plate would be proprietary so it would take some work… I never thought about that. A standard Dell cooper cooler may work. I could modify the top of the unit with a vent

I think it’s standard mounting but the back plate would be proprietary so it would take some work… I never thought about that. A standard Dell cooper cooler may work. I could modify the top of the unit with a vent
Maybe remove the back plate altogether. Little heat if glued/stuck?

Maybe remove the back plate altogether. Little heat if glued/stuck?
The 3rd gen ones, the back plate is screwed to the clam shell assembly. So it’s possible to put an aftermarket cooler on Those. I’m not sure about this 6th gen. I built several optiplex 7010 motherboard based systems for fun

The 3rd gen ones, the back plate is screwed to the clam shell assembly. So it’s possible to put an aftermarket cooler on Those. I’m not sure about this 6th gen. I built several optiplex 7010 motherboard based systems for fun
to me it would better to dump it :)

Will that Dell push a K part or is the bios set for a non K? If it can't push it then stick with a non K 6700. It's a 65w part, like the 6500, and will hit 4G so you won't need to worry about the cooler.

That ebay link looks like it's for the Dell Micro Form Factor (MFF). So, unlikely to fit your SFF. Does the current one mount directly to the chassis? No backplate?

I went through this using HP SFF's and the bump from a 6500 to a 6700 wasn't much. I knew it was there and since we used them for the office and games it was worth it for my self satisfaction. I'd reather have it and not need it versus need it and not have it.

More recently I went through a 9500 to 9700 upgrade and 1650 LP to 4060 LP upgrade in a Z2. I went through three different CPU coolers to try getting the coolest performance out of the 9700. They all performed the same, within a degree or two, after a few minutes under load. So, I went with the beefy one thinking it'll help with short, bursty loads. I can't get the heat out of that little box fast enough to make the 4060 happy, tho.

The cooler threads into the motherboard backplate so I could swap it with creativity.I’m not sure how far to go with this. The way the PCIE slots are arranged it will only take a single slot low profile card, so this pc is severely limited by the RX550 and it’s not worth an RX 6400 running at 80% of its capabilities being limited by pcie 3.0 x8. I would get a mini tower, and a decent card but it’s my HTPC and it sits on the media center. So the SFF is perfect. A 3050 will take 7th gen, has DDR4 and M.2. A 7700 would probably be a major improvement.

The cooler threads into the motherboard backplate so I could swap it with creativity.I’m not sure how far to go with this. The way the PCIE slots are arranged it will only take a single slot low profile card, so this pc is severely limited by the RX550 and it’s not worth an RX 6400 running at 80% of its capabilities being limited by pcie 3.0 x8. I would get a mini tower, and a decent card but it’s my HTPC and it sits on the media center. So the SFF is perfect. A 3050 will take 7th gen, has DDR4 and M.2. A 7700 would probably be a major improvement.
honestly I think it's worth it. but that's just me.

ops I meant not... I think leave as or move to a newer SFF platform.
Looks like Dell used the same case up as far as the 70 series ( 9th gen Intel ). The power supply went from 8 pin to a 6 pin with the 50 series, but here’s an adapter cable https://www.moddiy.com/products/Del...o-6-Pin-Adapter-Cable-for-3040-3050-3060.html

A 3070 motherboard is $20, an I5 9500 is $80 and DDR 4 ram is cheap. Would be light years better… decisions decisions. A 3070 with a crap processor is around $200, so I could be under that with a good processor by building a Frankenstein. I wonder if they kept the rear I/o the same. I can’t tell

My HP 600 g5 with a 9700 was $200. Only 8GB of ram and a 256gb ssd, but, I was swapping stuff around anyway. Swapped the 9700 to a Z2 for its 9500. Z2 has a better layout, although it is a bit bigger. It fit the 4060 well, so, getting a slightly larger sff will open up some options for you. Also, the Z2 has 2-3 NVME slots. So, adding a 2TB nvme for games was a snap and cheap these days.

As a hobbyist, I can say it's been a fun project.

Z2 with original 9500, HSF and GTX 1650.
20230806_152102.jpg

Z2 with 9700, upgraded HSF and RTX 4060.
20230923_1932562.jpg

HSF comparison.
20230727_200611.jpg

20230727_200540.jpg

Looks like a nice case for a graphics card. I saw Amazon renewed has 3070 SFFs With g series pentium and 16gb ram with 256 gb ssd for $98. Tempting as a 95-9700 would make it perfect

I looked hard at the Hps but couldn’t find one cheap enough for me to actually grab one, since it’s just my HTPC. My wife will also use it for her school work.

I found a screaming deal on eBay. Optiplex 3060 SFF with I3 8300, 16 gb of ram and a 1tb hdd for $88 with a coupon. It’s one of those new eBay refurbished deals. I plan to put an 8500 in it, but the 8300 may do. It’s 26% faster on paper than what I got. I’ve got a 512gb M.2 to go in it and 8th gen is Win 11 compatible as well

Back