Optiplex 760 with a Pentium E5300 - new processor capabilities?

I've salvaged a Dell Optiplex 760 SFF for use as a home server, and the processor is incredibly weak - this Pentium Dual Core E5400 even lags Minecraft. It's awful, it really is. The rest of it works like a charm, though, so I'd rather replace the CPU than strip it for parts. What other processors could I put in this thing? How can I find out what CPU upgrade would work in this thing?

The integrated graphics in the computer might hold back minecraft/other graphics-related things too. Might want to look at an upgrade for that too.

well depending on the game being played E8400 or better or say Q9400 or better are quite good even now, but there are some games like BF3, BC2 and so on that they will also choke on as they are just not quite fast enough, but yeh can say straight up it would be noticeably faster then that E5400 for dang sure lol, though actually finding a core 2 quad at a decent price might be very tough let alone quite $ when you can swap to newer stuff (board/cpu/ram) for like 2/3 the cost of just upping the cpu on that one(unless you get a one shot deal of course)

http://www.levnapc.cz/ProductsFiles/Dell-Optiplex-760-technicke-specifikace-en.pdf
Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500; DVI Adapter card; 256MB ATI® RADEON® HD 3450 (Dual DVI or VGA via cable adapters plus
S-video output); 256MB nVidia GeForce™ 9300 GE (Dual DVI or VGA via cable adapters plus S-Video Out); 256MB ATI® RADEON® HD 3470 dual
DisplayPort output (Dual VGA and DVI supported via cable adapters)

problem being upping the gpu and decent amount will probably also need to up the power and that might be problematic, but yes, depending on game the gpu can def be a major bottleneck no matter how blazing fast the cpu being used is.

The integrated graphics in the computer might hold back minecraft/other graphics-related things too. Might want to look at an upgrade for that too.

It's not going to run anything graphical. Minecraft, Unreal Engine, Source Engine games will all be run in a command line window. Graphics performance is pretty irrelevant, I just need horsepower and more memory. Finding 8 gigs of DDR2 these days is rather painful on the wallet.

Back