Options for simple office network for quickly searching and previewing documents?

Gabe

2[H]4U
I am currently at an office with Corel WordPerfect X3 installed on several desktops, and they access a file server.

They were previously using Windows 98 with Corel 12 or something... the QuickFinder let you quickly (nearly instantly) search the file contents (it was all indexed probably) and it would also show a preview on the side.

The new version of Corel's QuickFinder doesn't work nearly as well, nor does it search the contents of documents automatically, the file indexing always fails, and directory browsing is sluggish (due to the fact that they have 100 or so directories).

I am thinking of just migrating them to Office 2003, the most important thing is to get a fast way to search contents of files for specific terms (since this is how they open documents). I am thinking a Microsoft solution with indexing and such maybe the key.....

Any suggestions on this? Will an open source alternative offer what I am looking for maybe? It sort of looks badly on me that their Windows 98/NT Server configuration runs faster than the Windows XP alternative. Considering that Corel sucks...

HELP!

Back