Optimal GPU for 2560x1600. Will this one do?

Zyde

Limp Gawd
I am considering buying the following GPU:

EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Classified w/ EVGA ACX Cooler
Part Number: 04G-P4-3778-KR

1150MHz Base Clock
1202MHz Boost Clock
147.2GT/s Texture Fill Rate
4096MB GDDR5 Memory
7010MHz Memory Clock
224.32GB/s Memory Bandwidth

Will this GTX 770 run the following games on ULTRA at 2560 x 1600?

• Dota 2
  • Diablo 3
  • World of Warcraft
  • Starcraft 2
  • Total War Rome 2
  • Bioshock Infinite

Is there any reason to go for a standard 780 or even the 780 Ti? I will never game multi-monitor, only on a single U3014.

Thanks in advance!

Dota 2 yes
Diablo 3 yes
WoW is cpu bound
Starcraft 2 yes, but cpu bound

Not if your a graphics whore and love all the settings cranked up and ambient occlusion on and alpha coverage on, etc. With my rig I can get away with it, but 2560 res is pushing if you like gaming with all the eye candy.

Edit-The games you listed shouldn't be a prob, but I don't think you are just going to play those games only until you upgrade?

can I ask how much you are going to pay for that card? It seems a 780 might be a better buy.

Also it's confusing that all the 780 series cards have a lower clock speeds and memory clock, and are yet considered superior and priced higher than the 770 series. What makes the 780 better?

Dota 2 yes
Diablo 3 yes
WoW is cpu bound
Starcraft 2 yes, but cpu bound
I have an i7 2600K for the CPU which seems to handle WoW and Starcraft 2 fine even in intense scenarios.

Not if your a graphics whore and love all the settings cranked up and ambient occlusion on and alpha coverage on, etc. With my rig I can get away with it, but 2560 res is pushing if you like gaming with all the eye candy.

Edit-The games you listed shouldn't be a prob, but I don't think you are just going to play those games only until you upgrade?
I do like cranking everything up to ultra. What I want is to be able to play those games on Ultra with a stable 60fps. FPS drops really bother me, as they are clearly discernible to the naked eye if you go too low.

can I ask how much you are going to pay for that card? It seems a 780 might be a better buy.

$439 on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Classified-Dual-Link-Graphics-04G-P4-3778-KR/dp/B00DBPU8B2

Could you please say why you think a 780 might be a better buy? See my comment quoted below:

Also it's confusing that all the 780 series cards have a lower clock speeds and memory clock, and are yet considered superior and priced higher than the 770 series. What makes the 780 better?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Further reading on the web revealed that apparently a GTX 780 uses a different GPU, and is based on the GK110 which is considerably faster than the one the GTX 770 uses.

Which of the GTX 780 series cards listed here would be best for 2560 x 1600 gaming on ultra settings at 60fps? If I am spending over $500 on a GPU anyways, is it worth it to spend a bit more and get a 780 Ti or would the 780 by itself be sufficient?

Last edited:
Wow, card clocks have nothing to do with power of the GPU when solely looking at a spec sheet. You need to do research on cores before you can begin looking at clockspeed as your reasoning behind gpu purchases.

Anyways, these guys are giving you solid advice on getting the 780 instead. If you try to play BF4 on that 770 at the res with ultra, you will feel like the biggest lame. Either choose a SLI 770 setup or go single gtx780... Either way don't come off so ignorant to these guys who are actually trying to get you a better card for the same price.

Wow, card clocks have nothing to do with power of the GPU when solely looking at a spec sheet. You need to do research on cores before you can begin looking at clockspeed as your reasoning behind gpu purchases.

Anyways, these guys are giving you solid advice on getting the 780 instead. If you try to play BF4 on that 770 at the res with ultra, you will feel like the biggest lame. Either choose a SLI 770 setup or go single gtx780... Either way don't come off so ignorant to these guys who are actually trying to get you a better card for the same price.
The whole point of this thread was to seek help as someone who wasn't informed about the impact of cores and the difference between Kepler GK110 and its predecessors. I have now armed myself with better knowledge after further reading.

I don't think your condescending tone was necessary, however, as you make it sound like I am not open to suggestions and am being willfully ignorant. I am grateful for the posts that pointed me towards the 780 (same goes to you, thank you)! I now understand that the 770 would have been a worse choice for the same amount of money.

As of now, I am leaning towards either the 03G-P4-3784-KR, or the slightly more expensive 03G-P4-3788-KR.

Welcome to the club. I just bought a 780 Ghz Gigabyte Edition. Did pretty good on the benchmarks but requires 2 of the 8 power pin plugs.

GTX 770 = GK104 architecture, aka the same family as the GTX680. Actually they perform very closely.

GTX780 = GK110 architecture, aka the newer, same family as the Titan, and newer cards coming out. More efficient... they can perform as well with less heat and lower clocks than comparable GK104 (read GTX680/770) cards. Simple as that.

The whole point of this thread was to seek help as someone who wasn't informed about the impact of cores and the difference between Kepler GK110 and its predecessors. I have now armed myself with better knowledge after further reading.

I don't think your condescending tone was necessary, however, as you make it sound like I am not open to suggestions and am being willfully ignorant. I am grateful for the posts that pointed me towards the 780 (same goes to you, thank you)! I now understand that the 770 would have been a worse choice for the same amount of money.

As of now, I am leaning towards either the 03G-P4-3784-KR, or the slightly more expensive 03G-P4-3788-KR.

Based off what I read you were clearly acting ignorant but glad you took their advice and got the proper card in this case. You should be a lot more fourthcoming in the future when you ask for assistance and advice is given. Enjoy your card :)

At that resolution you want something with more than 2GB VRAM and the jump to a 4GB GTX 770 doesn't make sense since the 770 doesn't have the bandwidth to utilize 4GB VRAM.

Get an EVGA GTX780 SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooler which will be able to max out those games at that resolution.

Back