Opteron Gaming benchies.

no

no no

that is the worst review i have ever seen

how the F@#% do you review a brand new setup with a GeForce 4 MX?!!!!

there are dual opteron boards w/AGP, if they dont realize that then they are just plain retarded

Look at the date of the review - April 24th, 2003 - that's almost a year old and there were not many boards availabe at Opteron's launch.

also they should be using a tyan board, a REAL dualie board not these MSI boards that force CPU1 to go through CPU0 to get to the RAM - kind of kills the performance considerably and the point of the cpu having it's own memory controller.

Originally posted by Mr.Guvernment
also they should be using a tyan board, a REAL dualie board not these MSI boards that force CPU1 to go through CPU0 to get to the RAM - kind of kills the performance considerably and the point of the cpu having it's own memory controller.
The point is: There's no point using a dual CPU rig to run gaming benchmarks - for all intent and purposes, no games are truly SMP optimized.

Originally posted by spikegifted
The point is: There's no point using a dual CPU rig to run gaming benchmarks - for all intent and purposes, no games are truly SMP optimized.

Thats correct but alot of people do alot of other things with there dualies beside photoshop. If I can do 15 things at once and not degrade my game playing experiance why woulld I have just a gaming rig?

Originally posted by pipeliner
If I can do 15 things at once and not degrade my game playing experiance why woulld I have just a gaming rig?
Yeah, you're completely correct in that respect. For a long time, I actually suggest people would find additional gaming performance on similar platform if they have a duallie - for the simple fact that even just looking at background OS tasks, the 2nd CPU can take care of them and leave the other CPU to dedicate all of its resources to game.

However (to try and put forward what I thought originally, but failed to do so), it is rather pointless to benchmark a duallie platform solely on games benchmarks - that's not what duallies are primarily built for. As you can see on my sig, I have a bunch of duallies, but I don't play games on them. To play games, I revert back to a single CPU rig... Additionally, single CPU platforms are usually equipped the very up-to-date features - faster memory being the most obvious example... ;)

Agreed
if someone is building a SOLEY gaming rig - then dualies is pointless - unless u like quake 3 as it is optimized for dualies - but a 1ghz CPU and a TNT2 will run quake fine - so no need for a dualie.if all you do is regular check some emails and surf the web and gfx / video / encoding is not something you do, or only do once in a blue moon - the extra cost is not justifyable - unless u go cheap dualie duron or something.

Back