opinions: Zalman 7000AlCu vs Swiftech MCX64-V

Surly

Limp Gawd
Any thoughts/opinions on these two heatsinks? Both from a cooling perspective and a noise perspective?

Surly said:
Any thoughts/opinions on these two heatsinks? Both from a cooling perspective and a noise perspective?
noise totally depends on what fan ur using on the Swiftech

The Swiftech + fan will be more money, but it may cool somewhat better depending on what kind of fan you put on it. The Zalman is quieter, one piece, and you do not have to buy another fan. If you want the utmost performance, get the Swiftech with a high CFM fan. Otherwise, take the Zalman.

I've been trying to find direct comparisons between these two HSFs for a few days myself. I haven't been able to find direct comparisons, only reviews on one or the other, which really does nothing to compare the two.

Anyway the MCX64-V comes with a fan that is rated at 28dBA. The MCX6400-V is the one that comes without fan, and it's a little larger than the other one. According to this article here at [H]ardOCP, the MCX64-V performs quite closely to the larger one. The Zalman has a variable speed fan that is rated from 20-25dBA. So it seems like the Zalman is a bit quiter than the Swiftech. They're both priced similarly. $40.99 for the Zalman and $45.99 for the Swiftech on Newegg.

I'm not sure what motherboard you plan on using with this, but I plan on buying a MSI K8N Neo Platinum. Users of this board have reported that the Zalman will not fit on the board with the stock backplate, which they also say is a bit difficult to remove. Unless I can find a direct comparison soon that shows the the Zalman is significantly better than the Swiftech, I will be getting the Swiftech simply for ease of installation.

If you want something quiet, then just go for the Zalman because if you use a fan that's just as silent on the Swiftech, the performance of both heatsinks would be about the same.

Incidentally, my 7000AlCu gives me better temps than my friend's 947-U + Vantec UV LED. :D

i dont know much about the swiftech, but i <3 my zalman :D

doesnt go over 50C, usually stays 38 idle-46 load

I recommend the zalman. It's quiet and cheaper. SVC sells the alcu version for only $29.

Back