Opinions: Samsung 840 Pro (128GB) vs. Crucial MX100 (128, 256GB)

Yossarian22

[H]ard|Gawd
I decided to post this here because the storage form, frankly, looks like a place to talk about NAS and big time storage solutions. I'm just interested in giving my ultraportable a steroid... injection of SSD goodness. The machine in question is a Thinkpad X61s, so yeah, we're limited to SATA II speeds.

I've read Storagereview and Anandtech stuff, but since the MX100 is brand spanking new as Comutex is still being reported on...

The only restriction I face is I'm using Amazon gift credit, I got a few as gifts, so, time to put them to good use, no?

So, this is what I've observed and thought about in something I like to call Good News/Bad News (better than bullet points!):

---

Good news: Samsung 840 Pro uses TLC NAND with warranty of at least five (5) years.

Bad news: Samsung 840 Pro is a two year old drive.

Good news: Crucial MX100 256GB can be had at the same price as Samsung 840 Pro @ 128GB

Bad news: Crucial MX100 @ 256GB for the same price as 840 Pro @ 128GB is out of stock on Amazon, 840 Pro hasn't changed price for awhile.

Good news: People talk smack about the MX100 being a consumer drive meant for upgrades, evidence of this being the software it comes with for mirroring drives. The 840 Pro is talked about as being a lower level enterprise drive that is apparently great.

Bad news: Remember, X61s chipset only has SATA II, no review sites have benchmarked these drives in their lower capacities.

Good news: Since I'll be running Debian, space really isn't a concern for me, but nothing exceeds like excess... and good write speed for small files... probably running ext4.

Bad news: Actually, that's the end of the thought process.

Buying the Crucial MX100 128GB will save me $30, but who really cares about $30?
The 256GB version is out of stock, just assume that waiting isn't an option (although it might be).

---

So recap time: Thinkpad X61s, chipset limited to SATA II, target system is C2D ULV ultraportable running Debian with ext4 (unless someone can give me a convincing reason why to not use ext4), the 2 year old heavyweight champion drive versus Crucial's new Computex SSD with 16nm process. Review sites haven't benched these drives in their lower capacities. Looking for educated opinions... or just opinions, but if you have any absolute truths, that would be good, too. :D

---
Edit, didn't see this: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1221?vs=742
hypothetical if the MX100 256GB was indeed in stock vs the Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; they seem pretty close, but still fishing for opinions, nevertheless.

Last edited:
Sorry for the slight resurrection, I had to go to the hospital for kidney stone and some other issues, been an entire week (last Thursday to this present Thursday).

I pulled the trigger on the Samsung 840 Pro 128GB. I've yet to slap it into my X61s ultraportable on account of just coming home from the hospital.

If anyone has opinions of what they would have bought or just want to reply and give an opinion, that's cool.

General [H]ardware subforum rocks! :D

Back