Opinions on this system?

Phantum

[H]ard|Gawd
I know I know, it's completely overboard, but Bill Gates once said that no one will ever need more than 640K of RAM.

Dual 1.8GHz Opterons
MSI K8T Master2-FAR
2GB's of Crucial PC2700

that's not overboard. that's awesome. that motherboard has p4 style heatsink clips right? (instead of the awesome opteron/athlon64 ones?)

(quote from gamepc)
The third flaw is a bit stranger. It really didn't hit us until we first tried to install CPU's on this motherboard, and we realized, "Hey, our heatsinks don't work!". What MSI has done, apparently, is NOT used AMD's standard Socket-754/940 heatsink retention system, opting to use a Pentium 4-style (!!) heatsink retention system instead. What this means is NO standard Athlon64/Opteron heatsink will work on this motherboard, not even the AMD retail coolers. Not only does MSI include the incorrect mounting brackets, but they do not leave the necessary motherboard holes if one wanted to change out to the correct mounting system.

linky:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=dualduel&page=3

well the board comes with 2 pentium 4 heatsinks. the question is whether or not that matters to you. it'll still cool efficiently (i'm going to assume MSI thought the heatsink selection was better for P4 than A64 and figured customers wouldn't mind). the only concern is that it apparenlty voids the AMD warranty (as would make sense - but how would they know?).

overall, you won't have any problems - just get p4 heatsinks instead of opteron heatsinks if you want new ones down the road.

Originally posted by Phantum
I know I know, it's completely overboard, but Bill Gates once said that no one will ever need more than 640K of RAM.

Dual 1.8GHz Opterons
MSI K8T Master2-FAR
2GB's of Crucial PC2700

Droool. That system is something I'm saving $$$ up to build. :)

Nothing is overboard..

I run dual 246 and 4 gigs of ram.

My single cpu rig runs 246 with 2 gigs

Back