Opinions on second rig?

JasonG

Limp Gawd
Wanting to put together a new secondary rig with a shuttle. I plan on mostly doing web surfing, maybe some burning, and gaming(no FPS as thats what the main rig is for) on lite stuff like RTS's and such, nothing power hungry. My main concern is I want something that will be quiet. I'd prefer not to even know it's on if ya know what I mean. Here's what I've come up with so far to possbilby purchase...

Shuttle XPC Black Barebone System for Socket A at 333MHz FSB AMD CPU, Black Model SN41G2V2B

Corsair Valuram 512 mb

Athlon xp 2500+ Barton

I allready have a hard drive and all the other goodies. I do plan on using the integrated sound and video that are on the shuttle. Idea's about what else I could use that would be better, or quieter? I'm open to any and all suggestions. As always thanks for any suggestions guy.

JasonG

edit- forgot to add that this would run me about 400 bucks. Thanks.

SN41G2V2B is perhaps not a good idea for a quiet system as it has a total of 4 fans including the loud 80mm SUNON (which however can be replaced.)

Perhaps the Zen is what you are looking for, it should be able to handle the games you plan on throwing at it.

The closest I've found to what you have put me towards is Shuttle XPC ST61G4 P4/Celeron Barebone. I know it's not the Zen but it seems to be based on being quiet. Of course my next question would be what kinda processor for quietness. I don't want a celeron. :rolleyes: So I figure possibly a 2.4 533fsb P4? Anyone have any ideas as to how this would perform? And how quiet it might be? Thanks again agentzero9.

agentzero9 - I'm back again after doing a bit of looking. :) First off lemme say thanks for the link and the assistance so far. I've did a bit of newegging here to start off and found the shuttle ST61G4L and figured if I went that route I'd add one of the 2.4A Prescott's and some generic crucial 3200 ram 512mb. I don't know alot about the Prescott's. I'm not too worried about heat since it's a 2.4 but ya never know. Any idea's on this possible combo other than the 500 dollar price tag?

Avoid the prescott at all costs.

You're paying more for a CPU that performs worse, and runs hotter. Stick with the Northwood P4s.

I guess a 2.4c will do nicely then. :) I can only find the retail version though. I assume if I get the retail version I need to take off the heatsink and fan to use the pipe that comes with the shuttle? If I do that I then need to clean the processor with some type of alcohol? Next would be mounting the heat pipe I guess, but would I need some arctic silver type of paste to use also? Forgive the newbie questions as this would be the first computer I put together myself. :)

JasonG

I've found the Zen as you refered to earlier. It's a bit cheaper but doesn't have an agp slot in case I decide to toss in an old video card. Of course looking at it with the external power supply one would think it should be quieter but according to reviews it's a toss up on noise. Also thinking about a 2.8C since it's only 6 bucks more on newegg. :)

JasonG

Back