Opinions on Battle For Middle Earth

I got this game for Christmas, and all I have to say is if you like the movies and/or the music from the movies, you should like this game. Its fun to command lots of troops and play with the new context-sensitive interface. Its also kinda cool that you have the freedom to choose the fate of Middle-Earth. I got Legolas killed at Helm's Deep :p . The game is also somewhat rpg-ish in that the heroes (like Aragorn or Gandalf) level up and acquire new abilities - somewhat like Warcraft 3. Thats my 2 cents....

I got it for christmas too... except I got the DVD version, and my dvd player refuses to read the disc :(

I WANNA PLAY :(

I played a little. It's way too slow, the graphics are great but it gets boring fast.

It does get pretty tired kind of fast but while you're into it it's a lot of fun. Worth the money for it :).

I am a command and conquer freak, and this game is alot like that
i love it
but the only prob i have, witch is a big one, is the fact that u can only build on CERTAIN spots u cant just build where u want to, thats the BIG DIFF i have on it
but i say yeah, it's worth the buy
(i did)

I bought the DVD version as well and my samsung dvd player refuses to read the disk as well. I luckily have a friend with a DVD player who shared his drive over the network and I was able to install it that way.

It really upsets me that I buy a DVD and can't read it. I'm not sure if it is the DVD or my player that is the issue.

I got it but I am going to sell it. Graphics are awesome and very fluid play, just not my cup of tea.

If you are looking for a fast paced RTS game, then do not buy this game.

It is, at times, painfully slow and takes a while to get anything good started. There are lots of weird design choices, like the fact that you can only build buildings atop these small circular things in your base and on certain places on the map, and the fact that heros can be overpowered at times.

Still, it is a pretty fun game and if you are a LOTR fan, a fan of huge RTS battles, or even both, you'd probably love this game.

Definetely pretty sweet if you can get over the issues that it has. :)

I love the game, I beat the good campaign and now I am playing evil. They are completely different. I am waiting on the patch now, though. There is an annoying bug in the evil army that was frustrating enough for me to put the game down until its fixed.

The game is great though. When I was playing the good campaign, I couldn't tear myself away from the game except to go to work or maybe a few hours of sleep.

Defective said:
I love the game, I beat the good campaign and now I am playing evil. They are completely different. I am waiting on the patch now, though. There is an annoying bug in the evil army that was frustrating enough for me to put the game down until its fixed.
What bug is that? I just started the evil campaign and I haven't noticed anything yet.

One thing that I have noticed, and this may just be that I'm going from hordes of level 10 archers, horsemen, and starting all over again on the evil campaign, but the Isengard forces seem pretty underpowered compared to the good forces. My forces seem to be pretty easily mown down by the human armies in the early missions. Combine that with the fact that you aren't able to heal like you can with the human side and I think that I might prefer the good over the evil, but it's definitely too early to tell.

Dijonase said:
What bug is that? I just started the evil campaign and I haven't noticed anything yet.

One thing that I have noticed, and this may just be that I'm going from hordes of level 10 archers, horsemen, and starting all over again on the evil campaign, but the Isengard forces seem pretty underpowered compared to the good forces. My forces seem to be pretty easily mown down by the human armies in the early missions. Combine that with the fact that you aren't able to heal like you can with the human side and I think that I might prefer the good over the evil, but it's definitely too early to tell.

I have a problem with warg riders not killing certain mounted archers. They will kill most of a battalion but then will then just circle around one or two of them and do nothing. I have to move the entire group away until the mounted archer moves, then I can send them back to try and kill it. Its a very annoying bug and it happens almost every time.

Defective said:
I have a problem with warg riders not killing certain mounted archers. They will kill most of a battalion but then will then just circle around one or two of them and do nothing. I have to move the entire group away until the mounted archer moves, then I can send them back to try and kill it. Its a very annoying bug and it happens almost every time.

Gotcha. I haven't gotten warg riders yet so I'll have to see if it happens when I get that far.

Do you find the evil forces to be greatly underpowered (especially due to their inability to heal) or do I only feel that way since I'm used to all my units being at level 10 at the end of the good campaign.

Dijonase said:
Gotcha. I haven't gotten warg riders yet so I'll have to see if it happens when I get that far.

Do you find the evil forces to be greatly underpowered (especially due to their inability to heal) or do I only feel that way since I'm used to all my units being at level 10 at the end of the good campaign.

The Evil forces have a large advantage, as MORDOR can pump out troops for free right at the get go. As you progress and build enough farms Cave Trolls can own everything.

abudhu said:
The Evil forces have a large advantage, as MORDOR can pump out troops for free right at the get go. As you progress and build enough farms Cave Trolls can own everything.

How about Isengard? They seem a bit weak to me. When I amass several groups of troops they just end up getting killed, whereas I was able to keep my early troops alive on the good side (both Rohan and Gondor) so that they could level up over the course of the campaign.

Isengaurd is all about..well for me..Pikeman and Fire Arrow Archers. Make sure you link up at least 3 battalions of archers with their normal fighter (urukia spppellliinggg way off) group. Pikeman = Nails on Rohan Horses, and archers will take out the rest.

The thing to know, is that Rohan has trample, and with enough Pikeman trample is essentially lost as enough of the horses will be killed soon as they hit. You will lose guys no matter what though.

Archers against Gondor is probably the best bet with Isengaurd.

abudhu said:
Isengaurd is all about..well for me..Pikeman and Fire Arrow Archers. Make sure you link up at least 3 battalions of archers with their normal fighter (urukia spppellliinggg way off) group. Pikeman = Nails on Rohan Horses, and archers will take out the rest.

The thing to know, is that Rohan has trample, and with enough Pikeman trample is essentially lost as enough of the horses will be killed soon as they hit. You will lose guys no matter what though.

Archers against Gondor is probably the best bet with Isengaurd.

I guess it's just since I'm only a couple of missions in. Trust me, I'm definitely looking forward to getting some pikemen. I know what kind of damage they can do from foolishly trying to trample them with my horsemen. Big mistake.

The thing I don't like about it is that you have to rush to get all the extra farm building spots or else the opponent will have an infinite amount of resources. I'm big into base building, and upgrading my army before I go to battle. This game forces me to rush out and expand my territory and get an army built up quickly.

The game is still pretty fun, but I don't think I'll be going through it again once I beat it.

Defective said:

I've noticed this problem with the good campaign as well. Obviously not with warg riders..... I can recall a few times where I would send a unit (at the moment, only mounted units come to mind) to destroy a battalion of mounted or un-mounted enemy and they would attack a few and then stop and sit there. It's happened with all hero units that can mount and I'm pretty sure it's happened with others as well.

/threadjack

This game was ton's o fun for me. I finished the good campaign a couple of nights ago. I've only played one skirmish and it seemed promising. If you are a C&C or LOTR fan you will enjoy this game.

Probablly the biggest downfall of the game is the AI. It is on and off. Most of the times enemy archers can stand far enough away and nail down your entire army if you arent watching them, and they will do nothing to defend themselves...rather shameful..

meh its a fair game at best.. way too repetitive: destroy all enemy camps for 90% of the campaign games, or something... the only different missions were far too few and rare.

Yeah, I agree with the AI part as well. The Orcs would just stand, do nothing when they're getting shot at. Ever notice a lot of times the crossbow dudes rush NEXT to the enemy they're supposed to fire at and then fire?? doesnt that contradict the purpose of missile weapons?

FanZ said:
meh its a fair game at best.. way too repetitive: destroy all enemy camps for 90% of the campaign games, or something... the only different missions were far too few and rare.

Yeah, I agree with the AI part as well. The Orcs would just stand, do nothing when they're getting shot at. Ever notice a lot of times the crossbow dudes rush NEXT to the enemy they're supposed to fire at and then fire?? doesnt that contradict the purpose of missile weapons?

Very much so.

Back