OpenSolaris derived ZFS NAS/ SAN (OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and napp-it)

Code:
	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	fs1         DEGRADED     0     0     0
	  raidz2-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c4t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c4t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c4t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c4t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c4t4d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c4t5d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c4t6d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c4t7d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c5t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c5t6d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz2-1  DEGRADED     0     0     0
	    c5t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c5t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c5t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c5t4d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c5t5d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    c5t7d0  REMOVED      0     0     0
	spares
	  c2t1d0    AVAIL

If I have the above scenario, what is the commands I need to execute for it to use the spare in place of the c5t7d0 disk ? Obviously, it wont do it automatically as it thinks the drive is removed and not failed. But how do I "unspare" a drive, so I can just insert into the array as a replacement ?

Thanks!

I think you first need to do 'zpool remove' to remove the spare, and then do 'zpool replace' to use it to replace the removed drive?

Thanks for your reply

Unfortunately, I've already did that. I tried again with no luck.

If I connect myself with a user of admin group, with the computer management I've only "Everyone" and "Root" user. Despite that, I can see my users in computer management (Solaris) -> system tools -> Local user and group -> users

If I use root username, then folder -> propreties -> security, there is only "Everyone" user name.

I don't know what I missed :(

connect your share as user root, right klick on a folder or file and select property-security
then edit -> add -> advanced -> search

It should now display a list of Solaris users and SMB-groups
Does this happen?

Gea

What OS are you using astrapak?
I had the same issue with Windows 7 x64 ultimate.
Had to make a Virtual Windows 7 home premium to get it working.

What OS are you using astrapak?
I had the same issue with Windows 7 x64 ultimate.
Had to make a Virtual Windows 7 home premium to get it working.

Hi,

I use 7 home premium x64 and 7 ultimate x64 but I've heard there was a problem with W7 home & ultimate with ACL. So I installed a virtuel xp sp3 pro for testing. But finaly it works with W7 HP & U :confused: and not with Xp

connect your share as user root, right klick on a folder or file and select property-security
then edit -> add -> advanced -> search

It should now display a list of Solaris users and SMB-groups
Does this happen?

Gea

I did this on Xp, it displayed no one of my users, so I tried on W7 HP as advocated by Obscurax and it works :p I'm able to see my users and add them, same thing on W7 ultimate, it's weird :D but it works :D

Thank you very much both of you :cool:

Hi,

I use 7 home premium x64 and 7 ultimate x64 but I've heard there was a problem with W7 home & ultimate with ACL. So I installed a virtuel xp sp3 pro for testing. But finaly it works with W7 HP & U :confused: and not with Xp

I did this on Xp, it displayed no one of my users, so I tried on W7 HP as advocated by Obscurax and it works :p I'm able to see my users and add them, same thing on W7 ultimate, it's weird :D but it works :D

Thank you very much both of you :cool:

i am currently working on a ACL-extension to set Share-, ZFS-folder- and other file/ folder-ACL with napp-it.
I will include ACL settings of a ZFS-folder with local user/ groups in the free version.
AD-User, Share-Level ACL and other files and folders-ACL are a nonfree extension (annual donation required)

planned first beta: end 06.2011

Gea

Solaris 11e throws these errors

bnx0 failed to initialize default msix isr handle block (-4)
bnx0 reverting to fixed level interrupts

The ML350 G5 I'm using isn't on the HCL, but this Broadcom 5708 is. The broadcom NIC driver I looked up on HPs site says the following as a Enhancement "BRCMbnx to revert to fixed interrupts when MSI-X interrupt allocation fails. This eliminates the need to manually edit bnx.conf file to use fixed interrupts when MSI-X interrupt allocation fails."

So I'm assuming that it is ok that the error is thrown? A feature maybe? Gets thrown on boot. That driver is for Solaris 10 on a different HP server but same NICs on it.

The main worry that I have about another error thrown, it states that e1000g0, e1000g1, e1000g2 are being removed from the kernel. These are the Intel PRO/1000 MT Server Dual nics, and are on the Solaris 11 HCL. They're also extremely well known supported cards. I'm not sure what being removed from the kernel exactly means for a NIC. But the nics appear to be functioning, though I can't be sure if poorly.

07.06.2011 0.500m nightly
bugfix: replication timeouts for netcat -> you must recreate replication jobs with this version

Mind elaborating here? Is this something where we can add a new variable into the current job script, or recreate but use the same snapshot pair? Will current jobs break with the update, or just not include the fix?

Mind elaborating here? Is this something where we can add a new variable into the current job script, or recreate but use the same snapshot pair? Will current jobs break with the update, or just not include the fix?

ihave updated my changelog to be more informative:

Timeouts -> you must recreate replication jobs with this version to use this feature
Recreate jobs if you get timeout errors or if you want to have a timeout (or jobs with network interrupts may hang endless and must be cancelled manually)

>> basically a timeout is added to some netcat send/receive actions

Gea

Last edited:
I think you first need to do 'zpool remove' to remove the spare, and then do 'zpool replace' to use it to replace the removed drive?

I removed the spare "zpool remove fs1 c2t1d0".

Then I tried to replace the removed drive with c2t1d0 (in the napp-it GUI).

I got this error

Code:
"cannot replace c5t7d0 with c2t1d0: devices have different sector alignment"

What the heck does that mean? Shouldnt it just copy data over to the new disk?

As far as I can tell, this means the spare drive does not have the same 4k sector jive as the previous drive. No idea beyond that...

As far as I can tell, this means the spare drive does not have the same 4k sector jive as the previous drive. No idea beyond that...

Umm, there are no drives that have 4K sectors outside of what we know. As far as any computer is concerned, all drives are still 512K afaik.

I'm having problems getting my disk pinned down.
It works but the auto service is interfering with the device-treshold.
Now for me it is spindown or auto service enabled, as my drives are polled every 15min.
Actually it makes sense, but is there a way around it?
It would be nice to have an option to run things once a day or something, I don't know I don't understand the mechanics behind it.
It would be nice if both could be combined.

Umm, there are no drives that have 4K sectors outside of what we know. As far as any computer is concerned, all drives are still 512K afaik.

Maybe there's still some formatting or partitioning on the drive that is confusing ZFS? Did you try zero-wiping the first and last megabyte or so of the drive with dd?

Just curious, how did you end up with a drive in the REMOVED state? Did you do a zpool remove or just physically pull the drive? If you did a zpool remove, maybe 'zpool add' is the right command to use instead of 'zpool replace'? If you physically pulled the drive without warning, ZFS should have automatically gone to the hot spare, otherwise something is very broken in ZFS.

Maybe there's still some formatting or partitioning on the drive that is confusing ZFS? Did you try zero-wiping the first and last megabyte or so of the drive with dd?

Just curious, how did you end up with a drive in the REMOVED state? Did you do a zpool remove or just physically pull the drive? If you did a zpool remove, maybe 'zpool add' is the right command to use instead of 'zpool replace'? If you physically pulled the drive without warning, ZFS should have automatically gone to the hot spare, otherwise something is very broken in ZFS.

That is my original worry (with ZFS) it seems to be less reduntant then expected, as you can read earlier in the thread. The drive basically died, not wrong sectors, which would produce errors, it just died (let's assume the electronics died, so like it was pulled) apparently this triggered ZFS to assume it was a administrative remove (which it was not). So now I am in the issue of having one of the vdevs -1 redundancy, and no way to replace that.

If anyone has any hints what to do, go for it :)

DJ, if the drive totally died, how can ZFS tell the difference vs you pulling the cable? Secondly, did you actually try googling for that error message (as I did)? There do in fact seem to be drives with 4096 sectors, although they emulate 512 or somesuch (forgive my sloppy wording, just going by what I have read.) The point being: there is something about that drive which is incompatible with the others in the pool. Have you tried a different drive?

Alot of the drives are 4K in that pool. But they dont tell the computer that. We only know that because WD/Seagate/Samsung told us so. To the computer, they are all 512B Drives. Eventually, they will make models that disclose that they are 4K. but they dont. Just like SSDs, all SSDs are 4K, but all computers think SSDs are 512B.

To go further, there are exactly the same drives in the pool already. I havent tried a different drive. I may. But it's not a random test drives till I find a lucky drive that works that I am looking for. I was asking for the reasoning as to why it would complain.

As I understand, if it is a 4K drive, it can either present the disk as 4k or emulated 512b mode. Depending on which it is, the drive needs to be partitioned compatibly. If you go into the 'format' command, and select one of the already used drives, and then type 'partition', and then 'print', what does it say? Then repeat that for the spare drive... Actually what is better is to do 'prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/xxxxx', where 'xxxxx' is the disk name - shows more useful info...

I will do that, I am about to head to home, will do and raport back. You are wrong about the 4K thing, there are no 4K reporting drives as of yet. If there was, that would be awesome, because then we would be able to run things naively.

I don't know what to tell you. You say there is no such thing - google shows me dozens of hits talking about this. Maybe we are using different terminology or something? Did you mean 'natively? Whether this is it or not, it's still possible that drive is partitioned with different alignment than the others...

All the 4k drives out there still report via ATA as 512 drives (in the spec sheet this will be listed as 512e - for emulated). They are internally 4k sector size, but handle the 512 (external) <-> 4k (internal) conversion via firmware.

When you created the zpool did you create it with gnop/hacked binary/etc? Is it possible you are getting the error because the zpool/vdev is expecting 4k drives and your drive is reporting 512byte?

DJ, if the drive totally died, how can ZFS tell the difference vs you pulling the cable?

It seems to me that if a drive mysteriously disappears for any reason, ZFS should assume a drive failure and immediately fall back to the spare. Pulling the cable counts as a drive failure in my book, since if any writes occur to the array while the drive is disconnected, it will be out of sync and probably will have to be rebuilt anyway. So I can't see much practical difference between the two events. Either way your data is at risk, so the spare should start resilvering at that point (maybe after waiting a few minutes to see if the drive comes back).

Metaluna, I believe that is what is supposed to happen, but if the spare drive is not partitioned correctly, it won't happen...

As I understand, if it is a 4K drive, it can either present the disk as 4k or emulated 512b mode. Depending on which it is, the drive needs to be partitioned compatibly. If you go into the 'format' command, and select one of the already used drives, and then type 'partition', and then 'print', what does it say? Then repeat that for the spare drive... Actually what is better is to do 'prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/xxxxx', where 'xxxxx' is the disk name - shows more useful info...

Here are the two drives (that I am trying to run a replace on):

Code:
admin@shiva:~# prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c2t1d0
* /dev/rdsk/c2t1d0 partition map
* Dimensions:
*     512 bytes/sector
* 3907029168 sectors
* 3907029101 accessible sectors
* Flags:
*   1: unmountable
*  10: read-only
* Unallocated space:
*       First     Sector    Last
*       Sector     Count    Sector
*          34       222       255
*                          First     Sector    Last
* Partition  Tag  Flags    Sector     Count    Sector  Mount Directory
       0      4    00        256 3907012495 3907012750
       8     11    00  3907012751     16384 3907029134

Code:
admin@shiva:~# prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c5t7d0
* /dev/rdsk/c5t7d0 partition map
* Dimensions:
*     512 bytes/sector
* 3907029168 sectors
* 3907029101 accessible sectors
* Flags:
*   1: unmountable
*  10: read-only
* Unallocated space:
*       First     Sector    Last
*       Sector     Count    Sector
*          34       222       255
*                          First     Sector    Last
* Partition  Tag  Flags    Sector     Count    Sector  Mount Directory
       0      4    00        256 3907012495 3907012750
       8     11    00  3907012751     16384 3907029134

All the 4k drives out there still report via ATA as 512 drives (in the spec sheet this will be listed as 512e - for emulated). They are internally 4k sector size, but handle the 512 (external) <-> 4k (internal) conversion via firmware.

When you created the zpool did you create it with gnop/hacked binary/etc? Is it possible you are getting the error because the zpool/vdev is expecting 4k drives and your drive is reporting 512byte?

I didnt mess with the default ZFS config in any way. It's a pure ZFS ver 28, Openindiana build 148b

That is odd - they look identical. Couple of things to try:

1. Try using the '-f' flag to force it.

2. Power down, unplug the dead drive, plug the replacement into that slot and reboot. If it doesn't start using it automatically, try 'zpool replace' with just the single device name.

While I'm at it, I've asked about this on a mailing list I frequent... Also, if you do a straight up install of OI build 148, once it is installed, if you do 'pkg image-update', it will find a bunch of updates and fixes. No idea if that might help or not.

I would rather not go force, who knows what happens :) Considering it seems really fragile and picky at the moment.

Guys on the mailing list suggested gathering some diagnostic info to submit to the OI devs if you are up for it. Otherwise, try suggestion #2?

I am happy to do it, tell me the commands to run, with output to text file I guess, and I'll send it to you / post it.

prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c2t1d0
prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c5t7d0
prtconf -v
iostat -En

You should be able to file a ticket at bugs.illumos.org.

Here is another interesting question:

Imagine you have one Zpool thats nearing capacity, its mainly static data. Now you add a new vdev to expand the pool size. Is there a way to balance the usage of the vdevs in the pool, so that the static data gets rewritten to all the drives in a balanced manner, like one does when one expands a RAID array ?

Here is another interesting question:

Imagine you have one Zpool thats nearing capacity, its mainly static data. Now you add a new vdev to expand the pool size. Is there a way to balance the usage of the vdevs in the pool, so that the static data gets rewritten to all the drives in a balanced manner, like one does when one expands a RAID array ?

The only way to balance your vdev's is to back your data up and re-write to your new expanded pool. There is no "defrag" funtion in zfs.

The only way to balance your vdev's is to back your data up and re-write to your new expanded pool. There is no "defrag" funtion in zfs.

I was actually thinking if there is no "smart" way of doing it, just making a copy of half the data, then deleting the old copy of the same data should do the trick, no ? (in a world where you expanded the pool by 50%, that is.)

Given the copy on write aspect of ZFS, after adding the new vdev(s), copying and deleting a bunch of data should rebalance the pool... In fact, if you can figure out how to do it, rewriting existing files in place should also do it.

Last edited:
I was just thinking copying half data to a different folder on same pool, then just deleting old data, and doing a move to get the data restored into its proper place.

Yeah that would work... But I wouldn't copy half the data, I'd copy all of it, several folders at a time - that way, all of the data will be striped...

Is it very important to have the data spread evenly? I can't see what difference it makes really.

Performance. If you are doing sequential reads, it can spread them over the separate vdevs.

I have a question about AD.

If i make a VM running Win 2008 AD that is located on the OpenIndiana Napp-ti VM, Can i then start the Napp-it VM first to make the store for AD vm available? Or do i have to run the AD VM before the Napp-it VM starts? therefor move it out of the NAS and to the local disk like Napp-it?

I hope you all understand what i mean :D

Back