Open Exchange and/or Open Xchange?

travanx

[H]ard|Gawd
We are using Merak Mail Server in the office which is running on a Win2k Server. Our main Domain server is also Win2k. Our small office has been looking to switch over to a new mail server. We have 15 users total. I would like to install something that can work with Outlook 2003 calendars and contacts. I was glancing at some of the threads and noticed open exchange mentioned. Googled that and found SUSE Novell Open-Exchange. I am very interested in this, but saw the ~$1300 for 10 users and $whatever else for 5 more users.

Then I searched some more and found the GPL version for free. I like how the Novell one is one complete package that sounds like it installs everything needed and nothing more. But the price tag is a little high for something that might not be exactly what I am looking for.

I am curious about the free open xchange program but at the same time I have never used Linux. I saw there are instructions on how to put it on a Mandrake Linux distro.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with either of these packages. With me not knowing linux, am I going to have trouble setting up a mail server? I know dos so command lines arent a big deal.

And possible hints or good links to find out more info. I don't really know what to google to get to more information on this. I can provide any more info if needed.

does anyone have suggestions on a mail server to use? we are possibly looking at moving from win2k server to win2k3 small business server so we get a newer windows along with exchange.

Back