OOOOOoooo QUADCORE! heres the options..

2wiced

2[H]4U
Should i get.

Xeon X3210 2.13 + Abit IP35-E

Q6600 +Abit IP35-E

or

Xeon x3210 + P5K-E

I haven't decided if i want to go quadcore. but the cheapest best way to go quad i would like to know.

any more suggestions?
im open to new motherboards and other processors. Do i need a quad core?

If you can afford/want the higher clocked Q6600, get it.

I like my X3210, and it was ~$40 cheaper when I bought it.

just what are you thinking quad core will do for you? there's barely anything that utilizes two cores let alone four

in spite of what people "perceive" from benchmarks and soo forth my experience with quads soo far does not in reality show any dramatic improvement, as for intel killing amd with core 2 duo? same thing, beyond the perception of benchmarks these processors offer little to no real everyday tangible difference in performance and I say this is a builder of both amd and intel platforms, I am a fanboy of neither although we should ALL be thankful there is an AMD otherwise we would likely only be running one ghz processors costing a thousand dollars instead of the options available today

if you really want something fast go with a server board that handles multi processors not just multi cores

alas for those who think a quad core at this time will offer the performance benefits of a corvette over a yugo

I was thinking along the lines of gaming, i am building my friend a computer and i can go with a e6550 or a quad core for myself. I figured quad will be better in the end......

dont know why...

i might just get the e6550 and the abit ip35e.

quad just seems cool, buts its an extra 100 bucks!

I was thinking along the lines of gaming, i am building my friend a computer and i can go with a e6550 or a quad core for myself. I figured quad will be better in the end......

dont know why...

i might just get the e6550 and the abit ip35e.

quad just seems cool, buts its an extra 100 bucks!

im a gamer, and honestly I dont think my q6600 is even "that" useful atm, so dual core would be fine imo, and as i said earlier ip35-e=win for some massive oc's, I could run my q6600 at 3.7+ with it when I had it (new one gets here soonish)

Generally I'd have to agree that quad is a bit of overkill unless you are playing Supreme Commander, especially if you are hosting LAN games. I recently upgraded from an AMD X2 4800+ @ 2.6 GHz (slight O/C was all she would handle) to a Q6600 @ 3 GHz / Maximus Formula combo and the difference in the game, especially an hour or so in when unit counts are higher is palpable. FPS typically at 30-50 @ 1920 X 1200 with most details cranked (low shadows) with 2XAA. For comparison it would bog down to 12-15 FPS with details mostly at medium (no shadows) with no AA before. Client machines seem to get a small boost as well but it's hard for me to quantify as I upgraded my AM2 socketed X2 PC to a 6400+ black edition right after building the quad rig. Maybe I'll re-install the game on the ol' trusty P4 upstairs and test it out, as it bogged to unplayable levels on it previously.

Back