Onshape - Free* cloud-based CAD program

Aibohphobia

[H]ard|Gawd
I realize this isn't strictly SFF but there seems to be much more interest in designing custom cases here than any other sub-forum.

Onshape is a free* browser-based CAD program designed from the ground up for the modern era (most CAD programs around today have their roots in the 80s or 90s). So it's cloud-based and collaborative, think Google Docs meets GitHub meets SolidWorks and it all runs in the browser so you can use it on Linux, OS X, iPad, etc.

http://www.onshape.com/product-tour

It's still early in development so it's lacking stuff like sheet metal tools that more mature CAD programs have but it's a big step up from something like SketchUp if you're serious about getting your SFF case design manufactured since it can export to industry standard CAD formats like STP.

It has more of a learning curve compared to SketchUp but it's also more powerful as a result.

*They're going with a GitHub-type pricing structure. The free plans can have unlimited public documents but only 5 active private documents (you can have as many private documents as you want, but can only have 5 actively selected at a time). Pro plan gives you unlimited private documents for $100/mo but that's the only difference, the free version has all the same features as the pro version.

Anyway, thought I'd throw this out there for any of you budding case designers without a few grand to plop down on a CAD package.

It looks nice but i wouldn't use it professionally. While solidworks cost per year is bigger it doesn't require you to constantly pay for it. Meaning if you were satisfied with 2010 version and didn't really need anything more then you paid once and are still working on this version. With onshape you could loose your data or access to it when not paying and it doesn't look good. I'd also wouldn't store mechanical designs in the cloud because it could get either stolen or (unlikely, but still) server could loose my data.

I like the interface and the features - those are very solidworks like cad tools and they are combined with google docs style of doing things. If you're doing stuff yoursel and don't have anything better then this looks good for a start.

As for the lack of sheet metal - it's really a fundamental function for case design, hopefully will be added in the future.

You don't lose files when downgrading from pro to free, you just become limited to 5 active documents at a time. That said, you only get 5 GB on the free plan versus 100 GB with pro and I'm not sure how that's handled, I'll report back once I get clarification.

With all the reports of Chinese hackers breaking into the networks of military contractors to steal sensitive info I don't feel that storing stuff in the cloud is that much more riskier than local storage, even high-security air-gapped facilities have been breached by the likes of Stuxnet. But not everyone's comfortable with cloud storage and that's fine.

I've asked about sheet metal (and from looking at their forums lots of other people have too) and it's on the road map but not for some time since they're still busy fleshing out the basic functionality.

About the hacking - the risk is greatly bigger for a company if its in the cloud than when its locally stored. The thing is when you've got your database on local server you've got to be directly targetted by the hacker that wants to steal your data.

With the cloud you've got those hackers that will want to steal someone else data but in the process will find your stuff on the cloud and either try to sell that or release it to the net. Its rather about the principle than the level of protection.

Back