Online Purchases of Auto Insurance up in 2006

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
It seems that purchasing auto insurance online has become quite popular in the last year. Studies indicate that online purchases skyrocketed by about 58%.

Consumers submitted more than 70 million auto insurance online rate quotes from 2004 to 2006, but they didn't convert those quotes to actual purchases until last year, according to comScore. The number of auto insurance quotes submitted online last year rose 15% from 2005, but the number of policies purchased online increased 58%, comScore said.

Progressive can show around all they want but Geico owns them like Wii is owning PS3.

Progressive had a better internet setup than GEICO had, though maybe that's changed.

And oddly enough with the timing of this article, I just bought a Esurance liability policy online Friday (had Progressive California on that car, but needed a Florida policy to get a Florida tag on just the one vehicle, and a new Esurance policy was $100 cheaper for six months than it would have been to simply MODIFY my Progressive multi-car policy to a Florida one, great way to insure customer loyalty Progressive)

The Esurance process was simplicity itself, far less tedious than even Progressive. Sure, there was no rate comparison, but man was the process fast and easy...hell, they even take Paypal! Temp insurance card printed right away, and less than 8 hours later my "real" printable cards were online in a .pdf.

Oddly, I can't stand thier commercials (though the commercial worked, since I knew about them only from the vapid animated ATI Ruby knockoff).

Progressive can show around all they want but Geico owns them like Wii is owning PS3.

My experience with geico is different, and it happened twice, and they will not get me again.

I switch away from company A to geico, due to a great rate. (Mind you, i've NEVER had an at-fault accident in my entire life, never been charged with ANY vehicular crimes other than seatbelt / minor infraction stuff - so, I don't have any DUI's, etc..and I've driven an average of over 100K miles a year, for.. the past 23 years) but, about two months into my policy, I get an amended policy with a 50% rate increase. - Both times, the reason had nothing to do with tickets / etc, just "reviewing your policy puts you in a higher risk group than initially assessed"

I own -7- cars, including at least 2 that would be considered "sports cars" (viper, mustangGT) and one that used to be the MOST STOLEN CAR (jeep grandcherokee) in the country, yet, with progressive, my annual policy is ~$2K for non garaged, business use, high mileage driving.

Back