OnePlus One LTE T-Mobile Bay Area?

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
Want to get a OnePlus One. I am on T-Mobile in the Bay Area CA. Does the OPO get LTE in this area?

Thanks...

The OPO only uses one of the three T-Mobile's LTE bands, so it might not be the best choice when they expand to band 12 coverage in the future for in building and range penetration.

The OPO only uses one of the three T-Mobile's LTE bands, so it might not be the best choice when they expand to band 12 coverage in the future for in building and range penetration.
Band 12 (700MHz) in San Francisco/Bay Area will not be coming anytime soon. Channel 51 interference, with no known date for relocation.

Band 4 (1700MHz) is the best the Bay Area has got for a while. (Band 2 is 1900 MHz)

Now close thread?

why he mad^^^

one plus one is very tempting at 299 for 64gb

700 MHz band is considered premium and not something you want to lightly overlook.

Band 12 panels have been spotted popping up in Northern CA:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1851293-Live-700MHz-band-12-areas-equipment-upgrades-Post-here!/page62

If you want a phone comparable to OnePlus One but with band 12 support check out the Alcatel OneTouch idol3:
http://www.alcatelonetouch.us/ALCATEL-ONETOUCH-IDOL-SMARTPHONE-Unlocked/dp/B00V3U6FFK

http://www.amazon.com/ALCATEL-ONETOUCH-IDOL-SMARTPHONE-Unlocked/dp/B00V3U6FFK/ref=cm_cr_pr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
first no one on your link posted anything about towers going up in northern California let along Bay Area. Second, you seriously recommend an Alcatel crap over the OnePlus One?

OP, don't listen to that misinformation. This is why the thread should be closed.

Where you are, you will get the best LTE TMo could give you and there is no schedule as of today on when channel 51 would be relocated. And typically when they do announce a relocation, it will take at least one if not two years for the relocation to take place. So you've got nothing to worry about for a long time.

Last post #922 mentions Atwater in Merced County which borders Bay Area Santa Clara County.

He goes on to mention one of the benefits of premium 700 MHz band which is distance propagation getting great throughput and latency over a mile away from the tower. Other benefits as entropism mentioned are better building penetration and battery life over higher frequency band.

As for the Alcatel, Amazon reviewer commented below and since he's used both including the OnePlus One he has more credibility.

Summary:
Just an amazing phone for any price range.

I have been using my Idol 3 for about 4 days now and I must say I am loving everything about it. People all over the net keep talking about just how great the screen and speakers are. I can't stress this enough they are both truly amazing. I am coming from the OnePlus One and although on paper the OPO has slightly better specs all around. I think that Alcatel did a much better job of implementing android more so then CM did. I stress this because basic functionality just operates so much smoother. For example typing. Typing just about anywhere whether it be writing an email or texting or whatever, is just extremely responsive. After having used my OPO for almost a year I had gotten used to having to type a little slow. On the IDOL 3 I can speed type again which means I can get more work emails done faster this I love! I don't see to many people talk about this fact but the screen is very responsive as well as it is bright. This is also my first phone with front facing speakers. All I can say is wow what a difference that makes. I watch a lot of videos on my phone and it does really enhance the experience all around. The phone itself is actually smaller than the OPO as well as it is thinner. It feels very sturdy and portable I put a screen protector and case on my and it is still very pocketable. Also a lot of people are asking about updates. Well I too am a little concerned about updates. However right out of the box I received one OTA update of around 50mb which I installed right away. Every now and then you see a little lag if you are a heavy multi tasker like I am. But I feel confident that this is related to crappy lollipop 5.0.2 and that once this guy gets the latest 5.1.1 those issues should be all smoothed out as 5.1.1 is know to perform quite a bit better and isnt supposed to have the memory leaks found in 5.0.1. My only other is the double tap to wake. This feature works here and there and isnt very reliable. I am sure they could fix this in a software update.

Last edited:
I'm sure we can find one idiot who thinks that GS5's speaker beats HTC One's front facing stereo too...

The consensus on the internet is the Alcatel idol3 is mighty darn good especially for $250. Screen and speakers are top notch. Here's one of many side by side comparisons where it makes the HTC M9 sound tiny in comparison. And, it's hard not noticing the Alcatel has a bigger better display with more balanced white whereas the HTC is on the bluish side. Design wise Alcatel also looks better. Even if they were even the Alcatel wins at nearly a third of the cost.

https://youtu.be/ir8Jn13Hra0

You are... Quite hostile, and I'm not sure why. As for the Channel 51 relocation, a deal was JUST struck in NY 3 weeks ago, the fundamentals are in place, and the flip should be switched shortly. 1-2 years is unrealistic.

first no one on your link posted anything about towers going up in northern California let along Bay Area. Second, you seriously recommend an Alcatel crap over the OnePlus One?

OP, don't listen to that misinformation. This is why the thread should be closed.

Where you are, you will get the best LTE TMo could give you and there is no schedule as of today on when channel 51 would be relocated. And typically when they do announce a relocation, it will take at least one if not two years for the relocation to take place. So you've got nothing to worry about for a long time.

NYC is a little bit different than typical. There they actually agreed to concurrent operations. Every agreements in the past such as the ones in Atlanta, Kansas City, Dayton, and Bend (OR) had taken or will take a year. So judging by history, I don't have very high hopes that the Bay Area will see Band 12 from T-Mo for at least 1-2 years. So the point is why worry OP on this? Just answer his question. The OnePlus One supports TMo's LTE. It might not support something that he won't see until 1 or 2 years from now. And that's the point.

Back