One power supply, five boards?

doh

user
I'm in the planning stage for a cluster project which is going to stuff five mini-ITX boards, a whopping six hard disks, and run a five port switch running off of a power supply unit.

Now, I fully expect that I'm going to need more than one power supply, but I really don't want to put five in. The board I'm going to use is powered via an ATX header.

I'm planning to violate warranty on a lot of things in this cluster so I may as well do so with the power supply too!! *evil grin*

So I am wondering if, and how I can safely mod a power supply to supply power to all these boards. Technical docs say that the board itself will draw 27.7 Watts.

How about would I mod these? :confused:

Based on conservative estimates taken from this document, the VIA VT-310DP board and CPU combination draws:

~ 2 A @ 3.3 V
~ 4 A @ 5 V
~ 2 A @ 12 V

So multiply these figures by the number of boards you will use, and double that figure for an estimate of the kind of power supply you should use for the boards.

~ 20 A @ 3.3 V
~ 40 A @ 5 V
~ 20 A @ 12 V

Remember, of course, that if you use an ATX12V version 2.0 power supply, you can put some boards on one +12 V rail and some on the other to balance out the load.

just get a pcpowercooling 1k watt psu, then you'll be fine...
when you're ordering, you can probably specify that you want 5 atx headers...
lol

killa62 said:
just get a pcpowercooling 1k watt psu, then you'll be fine...
when you're ordering, you can probably specify that you want 5 atx headers...
lol

LOL, so true... Ide like to see that PSU if you actually order it that way.

Back