Onboard raid = ide slots?

isocrazy

Limp Gawd
Hi i have a Asus P4C800-E and it has a raid card onboard. Im using all my ide slots atm so i have no room. so the next best thing is to use my lovely onboard raid. i wanted to connect this new 160 gig Western Digital HD to it just as another ide bus. Is this possible? I tried to goto bios and enable fast track and also changed the type from RAID to IDE booted up and after the bios screen which didnt list the hd it said it detected teh western digital and said 149 gigs avaiable. i come to windows and its not sitting there in my computer for me. i have no idea what to do .. ive played around with it and now just waitng on advice.

Have you installed the drivers for the raid ports? Read your motherboard manual, it should show you how to do it.

ive read it but it only talks about makign a raid i dont wanna make a raid can i just make that raid controller an IDE slot .

What you need to do is use Western Digital's Data Life Tools and it will recognize the drive and then format it for use so that it is recognized in Windows. Also, make sure that you have your boot sequence set up for your primary drive. I hope this helps.

Ummm...no, you can just connect a drive to the RAID IDE connectors. Turn on RAID chip functionality in your BIOS. If you have the drivers for the RAID chip installed, the drive will show up in logical disk manager. If not, you need to install the drivers (the RAID chip will show up in device manager with a yellow ! or red X next to it.) That's it; nothing else needed. The drive will show up like any other. I have 4 160GB drives on my RAID controller, and they're all individual drives (I already lost 4 X 40GB of data to a failed drive...not again!)

To continue what the above poster said, once it is rescognized by the bios (after RAID is turned on) you need to use the WD Life Data Tools. Windows will NOT recognize an unformatted drive, and drives do NOT come preformatted. At least not any of the 1000's I've installed (mainly XP pro). So windows will not list the drive unless it is in a format it can read. So again, get the WD life data tools and it will find the drive in windows. Oh, and yea, you betyter make sure it is read by the bios. Otherwise it's pointless.

Turn the raid off by jumper on your motherboard.
Boopt computer, goto control panel, administrative tools, computer management, diskmanagement. You will see your disk listed there. You can partition and format from here.

You don't need WD Life Data Tools. Hit Administrative Tools/Computer Management (you might have to right-click on the taskbar to add administrative tools to your start menu). Choose Storage, then disk management. When it comes up, it will pop up a wizard to initialize any new HD's. Do it. Now you'll see the unformatted drive in disk management. Right-click on the unformatted space, and choose format. It will walk you through it. All in Windows. No other tools.

Originally posted by O[H]-Zone
You don't need WD Life Data Tools. Hit Administrative Tools/Computer Management (you might have to right-click on the taskbar to add administrative tools to your start menu). Choose Storage, then disk management. When it comes up, it will pop up a wizard to initialize any new HD's. Do it. Now you'll see the unformatted drive in disk management. Right-click on the unformatted space, and choose format. It will walk you through it. All in Windows. No other tools.
thank you. thought I was gonna have to school these noobs :)

though I don't remember there being a wizzard auto popup. When you look at the list of drives. If you connected your hdd in correctly you will see your 160gig drive listed as unpartitioned space. right click on it and say create partition. it will start up a wizard that taeks you through partitioning and formating.

Back