On the hunt for my next monitor after 10 years on a TN panel

brennok

[H]ard|Gawd
Spin off from the 40" monitor thread discussion to let it get back on topic.

After 10 long years, I finally built my new PC in my signature, 7800x3D, 64GB, and I have a 4080 Super on the way. I am trying to narrow down my monitor choices. My current monitor is a 24" BenQ XL2420TE TN panel and prior it was the Asus VW266H. I was also using ToastyX's Strobelight app which eliminated motion blur and at least as far as I noticed it worked really well. It was definitely noticeable when it was off. I primary played FPS games with the occasional third person shooter like The Division 2, MMO like Guild Wars 2, or Assassin's Creed. All 3 of which along with BF4 are pretty much the last games I played.

Usage: Gaming primarily with maybe a 60/40 split with browsing, youtube, etc, but no movie or television watching

Games: Primarily FPS followed by single player games like Assassin's Creed, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, etc.

Budget: $1500 but would prefer to be around a $1000 or less

I have only ever used TN panels when gaming so I have zero experience with OLED, VA, or IPS even my TV is a Plasma still so I don't know what will and won't bother me other than motion blur. I have always read that TN panels have the worst images, but I have never noticed anything off on my monitors. I do have concerns about what I have read and seen with OLED for burn-in since I really don't want to baby the monitor. My other concern is some of what I have seen with text rendering. I already wear readers when working on the computer

The options I have boiled down to are the following, but open to other ideas. I would prefer to buy locally which means Best Buy or Costco just for easy returns.
1. Go 49" ultrawide 32:9 like the LG 49WQ95C-W.AUS for $1499 from BB or the Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED for $1299 before adding the 4 year $169 BB warranty.
2. Go 34" 21:9 like the Alienware AW3423DWF from BB for $999 and keep the 24" 1080p as a second monitor
3. Go 27" 16:9 while keeping the 24" 1080p as a second monitor eventually retiring the 24" and upgrading to a 21:9 or 32:9 by the end of the year or early next as the new panels come out

Concerns: Jumping to 32:9 would be a big leap and being my only monitor I would probably lean towards an IPS panel so something like the LG 49WQ95C-W.AUS for $1499 from BB, but reviews aren't the best at sites like rtings. There is the Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED for $1299 from BB. Samsung does exclude burn in though from my understanding BB's extended warranty will cover it for 4 years for $169.

This is why I keep leaning more towards option 2 and something like the Alienware AW3423DWF from BB for $999. Even though it is an OLED with a second monitor I could potentially push myself to do more browsing on the old 24" though I could see that habit start to slip. Alienware does include a 3 year burn in warranty though.

Option 3 I haven't really found anything jumping out at me but it would be more of a stop gap to hold me over for a year or so until I figure out what I like and don't like about current panels. I would also probably look at 1440p just to get used to something above 1080p.

Additiona details:
My desk is two desks pushed together to form an L in the center of the family foom. The desk is behind the couch and I can view my TV over my current monitor. On the left side I have the kitchen bar counter which overlaps the side desk and the other is the walkway before the large glass sliding doors. The room has no rear light to worry about, but is in no way a dark room. During the day I rarely turn on the lights due to the natural lighting and at night I mainly use the overhead kitchen lights. With the desk behind the couch, I am somewhat limited on mounting options since I don't want anyone to bang their heads on it and I don't know how well this desk would take to anything beyond a clamp. I do like being able to watch TV over my current monitor which is why I am aiming for something comparable to a 24" in height though 27" would also work. My Fractal Torrent sits on my desk though considering one of those rolling CPU carts with a shelf above the torrent if I put it between the two desks or at the end of the desk.

I'm not a fan of 32:9 for gaming. Games just don't typically handle that well. I put in enough time dealing with that crap when I ran 3x30" 2560x1600 monitors. It was rarely a good time.

I'm not a fan of 32:9 for gaming. Games just don't typically handle that well. I put in enough time dealing with that crap when I ran 3x30" 2560x1600 monitors. It was rarely a good time.

This is one of my fears and why I keep leaning more towards 21:9. I also don't know how I feel about curve yet. BB doesn't have many active displays near me so tough to get a feel in the store when it is just one image.

This is one of my fears and why I keep leaning more towards 21:9. I also don't know how I feel about curve yet. BB doesn't have many active displays near me so tough to get a feel in the store when it is just one image.
It makes some sense for super wide format or extremely large displays. I wouldn't really consider it on anything less than a 49".

It makes some sense for super wide format or extremely large displays. I wouldn't really consider it on anything less than a 49".

I think 44” might be ok just since it would be equal to two 24” monitors, but it is not a common size. It was where I originally started looking just to avoid dual 24s.

Although I don't do gamz, I just got that LG 49" you linked above on Monday, and so far, I have been really, really happy with it and plan to use it not only for personal use but also work stuff too...

My previous set up was a 43" in the center with a 32" on each side, plus a 17" lapper off to one side, cause I needz lots of screen space for all my various work apps running at the same time.

But I can now repurpose or sell my 43" & 1 of the 32's, and will keep the other as a secondary screen & keep the lapper screen closed & on the shelf above the new 49" :D

However, unless you have no other choice, I suggest that you do NOT buy anything from BustBuy, as I have had too many bad experiences with them and refuse to go back....but using them as a "just lookin" spot to compare stuff is ok...

I would personally go for the Alienware - AW3423DWF. I feel like QD-OLED panels are less of a compromise than VA or IPS at the cost of potential burn-in(which doesn’t bother me, one can minimize that risk).

I have 3 friends with that specific model, and they all rave about it. I would steer clear of 32:9. Much like Dan_D, I had a terrible experience running 3 monitors. Anything wider than 21:9 would give me pause.

Alienware also recently released the AW2725DF, which is a 360Hz 27” 1440p monitor. I would decide between that and the AW3423DWF if I were you. I’d like to have one of those two, but can’t justify a monitor upgrade to myself at this time.

For large displays the QN90B or QN90C is awesome. 43 or 50 inches mini leds can do 144Hz VRR HDR 1400+nits all at the same time. Playing games like Spiderman Remastered or Batman Arkham series is jaw dropping awesome. I'm still blown away ever time I play a game.

I have no idea what you mean. I love my super ultra wide for games. Not all games support it, but when they do, it's magical.

I have no idea what you mean. I love my super ultra wide for games. Not all games support it, but when they do, it's magical.
It's not so magical when a game doesn't support it. A lot of games don't. Even if they manage to do the resolution, not all games have HUDs that work well on that aspect ratio.

A couple of years ago I said I'd NEVER get a curved monitor and didn't think I'd go bigger than 27". November of 2022 I was looking at yet again 27" 1440p monitors but with higher refresh rates.

Then I saw reviews for the Alienware AW3423DW and the new Alienware AW3423DWF.... and I was sold.

Long story short get the Alienware AW3423DWF NOW. You won't regret it!!!, if the small chance you do, just return it. I LOVE it and it works excellent with all games. I play every genre, FPS multiplayer, RTS, RPG, strategy, etc

Also, if your concerned about burn in, don't be. I've had mine for 14 months now and zero burn it.

A couple of years ago I said I'd NEVER get a curved monitor and didn't think I'd go bigger than 27". November of 2022 I was looking at yet again 27" 1440p monitors but with higher refresh rates.

Then I saw reviews for the Alienware AW3423DW and the new Alienware AW3423DWF.... and I was sold.

Long story short get the Alienware AW3423DWF NOW. You won't regret it!!!, if the small chance you do, just return it. I LOVE it and it works excellent with all games. I play every genre, FPS multiplayer, RTS, RPG, strategy, etc

Also, if your concerned about burn in, don't be. I've had mine for 14 months now and zero burn it.
Yeah, I think the Alienware is a good follow up to his previous monitor until the Asus( PG27AQDP) comes out later in the year. I'm thinking about the Alienware too(DW). Also, if he's spending all of that money on the Super, He may as well get the regular DW version and not the freesync version. If i get one that's the one i'll get. They can keep the fresync version. I'm glad it's available but no.

My concern about the Alienware recommendation is burn-in. He's kept a monitor for 10 years, if this one is hoped to last a similar amount of time that is a real big roll of the dice that it doesn't burn in over that time. Brennok, how long do you want to keep this thing?

So a couple other non-OLEDs you could think about if you are worried about burn-in: The AW3821DW is great if you want a 21:9 (actually 24:10 in this case) very lightly curved monitor. I had one before replacing it to get an HDR monitor. No complaints, I loved the size, it worked well, I just wanted HDR because I love HDR gaming so I replaced it. If you don't care about HDR, then it is an option. If you do want HDR you could look at a cheap-ish MiniLED like an INNOCN 27M2V. I don't have any personal experience but it sounds like the cheap INNOCNs do an ok job and being an LCD with MiniLED, you aren't at the same burn-in risk you are with OLED.

Now, none of this is to shit on OLED if that's what you want. I have an OLED TV and love it, however you do need to be ready to replace it sooner than 10 years. If your financial situation is such that a monitor needs to last long term, I'd stay away since it does have known burn in issues and in general we don't have long term reliability data on QD-OLED as it is a new technology. If you are ok with the risk then go for it. While I am a MiniLED fan for the high brightness and such you get from a real high end unit, QD-OLED looks great and there's no fiddling around with things like dimming algorithims.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I originally looked at 38" 21:9 IPS since the LG model was constantly recommended, 38GN950-B.AUS, but it looks discontinued.

My concern about the Alienware recommendation is burn-in. He's kept a monitor for 10 years, if this one is hoped to last a similar amount of time that is a real big roll of the dice that it doesn't burn in over that time. Brennok, how long do you want to keep this thing?

So a couple other non-OLEDs you could think about if you are worried about burn-in: The AW3821DW is great if you want a 21:9 (actually 24:10 in this case) very lightly curved monitor. I had one before replacing it to get an HDR monitor. No complaints, I loved the size, it worked well, I just wanted HDR because I love HDR gaming so I replaced it. If you don't care about HDR, then it is an option. If you do want HDR you could look at a cheap-ish MiniLED like an INNOCN 27M2V. I don't have any personal experience but it sounds like the cheap INNOCNs do an ok job and being an LCD with MiniLED, you aren't at the same burn-in risk you are with OLED.

Now, none of this is to shit on OLED if that's what you want. I have an OLED TV and love it, however you do need to be ready to replace it sooner than 10 years. If your financial situation is such that a monitor needs to last long term, I'd stay away since it does have known burn in issues and in general we don't have long term reliability data on QD-OLED as it is a new technology. If you are ok with the risk then go for it. While I am a MiniLED fan for the high brightness and such you get from a real high end unit, QD-OLED looks great and there's no fiddling around with things like dimming algorithims.

This is tough to say. I essentially quit gaming for a long time which is why my previous build was kept for so long. I was a big Battlefield player and last built for BF4. BF1 and BFV didn't grab me so I didn't bother building or upgrading. My 7970 died during the shutdown and shortages so I was left with the Intel 4770K iGPU. As I have more free time now, the itch finally got bad enough I knew it was time plus I have Gamepass Ultimate for 2 more years. I don't see myself going that long again. Until I get gaming again though, supposedly my 4080 Super will be here Tuesday, it is tough to say if it will stick. Money wasn't the issue and why I went overboard this time since I had been saving for a new build for 10 years lol. Now with that said the more I spend on the monitor the longer I expect it to last me. I went with the 4080 Super over the 4070 Super mainly because I felt for the extra $400 it would last me longer. I tend to do new builds over incremental upgrades, but that is just habit. Assuming I opt for the BB extended warranty, I would aim to get the full 4 years out of it unless something truly pushes me to upgrade.

It is also why part of me has been tempted to go with something like a $500 or so 24" or 27" 1440p IPS panel, like the LG 27GP83B-B.AUS, so I can then shift it to a second monitor in the next year or so and then go 4K OLED as the primary. This was more the plan when I was leaning towards the 4070 Super, but going 4080 Super it seems kind of foolish not to go 4K now.

It is also why part of me has been tempted to go with something like a $500 or so 24" or 27" 1440p IPS panel, like the LG 27GP83B-B.AUS, so I can then shift it to a second monitor in the next year or so and then go 4K OLED as the primary. This was more the plan when I was leaning towards the 4070 Super, but going 4080 Super it seems kind of foolish not to go 4K now.
I mean, that's a reasonable way to go if you like multiple monitors and are ok when they are different kinds and sizes of screens. Some people, like me, that drives mad but plenty of people are cool with it. So certainly it is a valid way to go to just get a nice 27" and see how you like that. One you could look at is the Dell UD2724D if you are just after a decent but not too expensive 27". 1440 120Hz for $350 which is nothing special, but uses a new "IPS Black" panel which gives better contrast ratio. Probably not what I'd recommend if you are going to only get one monitor, but if the idea is "get cheap but reasonable IPS monitor now, get OLED later," then it might be a good way to go in that it should give you a satisfying visual upgrade and be something worth keeping long term.

If you want to just go QD-OLED now that isn't a bad idea either, just so long as you are prepared that you might have to buy a new monitor later because of burn-in/fade. Burn in will depend on your usage, the most static desktop stuff you do, the more likely it is, and the brighter you set the display on that desktop the more likely it is, but it isn't something that will for sure happen. Long term, well we just don't know. The tech is new so we can't say how it'll hold up in 10 years. If those risks are ok then it does give a stellar image for gaming. I have a Samsung S95B which is 1st generation QD-OLED like the AW3423DWF and it is gorgeous in games. Only real complaint is that it can't handle high APL HDR scenes like my PG32UQX MiniLED monitor can, and it suffers from black crush. But in general both SDR and HDR content looks stellar.

Personally I did worry about burn-in, and also text clarity, and I don't like multiple monitors, so I ended up getting a high end MiniLED monitor which I don't regret at all, but the one I got blows your budget badly.

I mean, that's a reasonable way to go if you like multiple monitors and are ok when they are different kinds and sizes of screens. Some people, like me, that drives mad but plenty of people are cool with it. So certainly it is a valid way to go to just get a nice 27" and see how you like that. One you could look at is the Dell UD2724D if you are just after a decent but not too expensive 27". 1440 120Hz for $350 which is nothing special, but uses a new "IPS Black" panel which gives better contrast ratio. Probably not what I'd recommend if you are going to only get one monitor, but if the idea is "get cheap but reasonable IPS monitor now, get OLED later," then it might be a good way to go in that it should give you a satisfying visual upgrade and be something worth keeping long term.

If you want to just go QD-OLED now that isn't a bad idea either, just so long as you are prepared that you might have to buy a new monitor later because of burn-in/fade. Burn in will depend on your usage, the most static desktop stuff you do, the more likely it is, and the brighter you set the display on that desktop the more likely it is, but it isn't something that will for sure happen. Long term, well we just don't know. The tech is new so we can't say how it'll hold up in 10 years. If those risks are ok then it does give a stellar image for gaming. I have a Samsung S95B which is 1st generation QD-OLED like the AW3423DWF and it is gorgeous in games. Only real complaint is that it can't handle high APL HDR scenes like my PG32UQX MiniLED monitor can, and it suffers from black crush. But in general both SDR and HDR content looks stellar.

Personally I did worry about burn-in, and also text clarity, and I don't like multiple monitors, so I ended up getting a high end MiniLED monitor which I don't regret at all, but the one I got blows your budget badly.

Using one monitor right now is rough so I know I am a two monitor guy. The 24" is definitely too small to do side by side, but maybe it won't be as bad with the 21:9. If I went 49" Ultrawide it would be my only monitor.

My previous setup had an old Dell 21" I got for free next to the 24" so I am ok with minor size difference. I tend to sit straight on the main monitor with the second off to the side angled towards me. If this was my true work setup, I would stick with both the same size sitting more center of the two monitors.

Yeah I would have a difficult time justifying 2k after dropping all of this on a new build, and it wouldn't work for my setup either. With where I sit, during regular use when not gaming, I lower the monitor all the way down which lets me see my TV over the monitor. If I raise it so I am center screen for gaming, I can't see the majority of my TV. I checked the height and it is around 19" when center screen or 15" when bottomed out. This is why I think 27" is about my max. If I had the usual setup where I was against a wall allowing wall mounts rather than center of a room, it would be different.

Well if dual monitors are your thing and 27" is where you want to max out, maybe look at once decent LCD monitor and a nice OLED 27". The 27s are WOLED not QD-OLED but they are still going to be good.

27” is only the max in 16:9. A 34” 21”9 or 49” 32:9 will work also since they are essentially the same height at least going by posts online and displaywars.

https://www.displaywars.com/34-inch-21x9-vs-27-inch-16x9

http://www.displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-49-inch-d{32x9}

If I go 27” 16:9 first, adding a 34” 21:9 later would mean the screens should be comparable at least height wise. The side monitor though could potentially even be in portrait orientation since it would be off to the left side where it wouldn’t interfere with viewing the TV. I don’t know if It would bother me or cause issues running a 1440p and 4k side by side though. I can’t imagine it would.

You are correct 34" 21:9 are basically a 27" 16:9 that has been stretched horizontally.

I have added a couple monitors to option 2 and option 3. Some of this is just me trying to organize my thoughts and put everything in a way to reference. Maybe someone might find it useful, but who knows. It is 3AM so I might read this later and go what was I thinking.

Option 2 I keep leaning more and more to a 34" 1440p ips monitor and later add a 4K 34" OLED.
BenQ MOBIUZ EX3415R - Amazon $699 - Light on the reviews out there so sites like Rtings never covered it.
LG 34GN850-B - Amazon $689 G-Sync compatible or LG 34GP950G-B $799 G-Sync Ultimate - RTings comparison - and LG 34GP950G-B gets their best 1440p 144hz monitor
LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B - Amazon $546 - Rtings finds it mostly comparable to the two LG panels above. VS LG34GN850-B and Vs LG 34GN950G-B Also gets best mid-range 1440p gaming monitor

Option 3 I go with a 27" 1440p 16:9
Alienware AW2723DF - Amazon $499 - Rtings review and makes best mid-range 240hz monitor up until 2/1/2024 it was also on the best mid range 14409 gaming monitor but the LG 34GP83A-B replaced it for consistency per Rtings notes.
Asus PG27AQN - Amazon $886 - Rtings review and comparison with the AW2723DF

The big disadvantage with option 2 is will I really want two 34" side by side. It will fit my desk since my main desk is 60" wide plus 20" for the side desk assuming I put the Torrent on a cart. Even with the Torrent on the desk adjacent to the kitchen bar top I still have about 10" so a total of 70" wide. Speaker placement might be an issue then also unless I go with something I can lay on its side like the Edifier S351DB I saw in another thread. Speakers are a later upgrade also since I just have a cheap 2.1 Logitech setup, guessing it is an old z313 or similar.

The big disadvantage of option 3 is I don't get to experience 21:9 which means it is potentially a gamble when I do consider it later. I don't think I will dislike it, unlike the 49" 32:9 which would be a huge jump. The 4080 Super should be able to take advantage of the 360hz of the Asus PG27AQN though depending on the game. I know first up I am going to be playing games like BF2042 which with the 7800x3D people have been reporting pretty high framerates in 4K with lower GPUs since BF is always CPU heavy.

I was in a similar situation and opted for the Samsung 49 OLED but at the last minute went with the LG Ultra gear 45" OLED and I am over the moon. The lower dot pitch is not an issue for me and as far as i am concerned , a talking point that tragically results in this beautiful monitor not being considered. The extra height over the 49' s combined with the aggressive 800 r curve makes for a level of emersion that I cannot overstate. Note: Pics taken right after taking it out of the box and and frankly, do not do this thing justice.

1706967005980.png
1706966823376.png

Attachments

• 20240128_141246.jpg
    20240128_141246.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I was in a similar situation and opted for the Samsung 49 OLED but at the last minute went with the LG Ultra gear 45" OLED and I am over the moon. The lower dot pitch is not an issue for me and as far as i am concerned , a talking point that tragically results in this beautiful monitor not being considered. The extra height over the 49' s combined with the aggressive 800 r curve makes for a level of emersion that I cannot overstate. Note: Pics taken right after taking it out of the box and and frankly, do not do this thing justice.

View attachment 632475View attachment 632474

45 might be the perfect size for a gaming monitor. Actually, it is imo. Now I personally prefer a standard 16.9 widescreen but I can see the ultra wide screen as a good other option also. The curve is fantastic too. I agree with your decision to go with the extra height. Much better choice. That is a sweet gaming display and the perfect size congrats on your new purchase.

I think I am leaning towards the Asus Rog Strix xg349c which didn't even make my list above. It looks to be the Asus version of the LG 34GP950G-B I was looking at above and they are both $799. The LG looks like it might be discontinued so is getting harder to find. Also only has 1 year warranty where Asus has 3. I have heard horror stories of warranty support from both though.

45 might be the perfect size for a gaming monitor. Actually, it is imo. Now I personally prefer a standard 16.9 widescreen but I can see the ultra wide screen as a good other option also. The curve is fantastic too. I agree with your decision to go with the extra height. Much better choice. That is a sweet gaming display and the perfect size congrats on your new purchase.

I could see how 45" would be great and I know a lot of people have also said 38" 21:9 is the best though it seems that size has died. It seems a lot of people loved the discontinued LG 38GN950-B. Unfortunately for my setup, I would hate being cut off from the rest of the room especially the TV and the attachment shows why it wouldn't work for me. If I was in a dedicated space up against a wall, like my bedroom, I could see it being something I would consider. I don't have a room I can readily turn into a dedicated space for it. I always start to look after browsing people's setups since it always looks so much cleaner tucked up against a wall or in a corner. I just don't have a dedicated office space I can use.

Figured I would update this and close it out.

I ended up with the Asus XG349c which is the 34" 21:9 IPS panel.

At first this thing looked like it was going to be huge out of the box, but I pretty quickly adapted. It is a bit too tall for TV use even bottomed out, but it works. I couldn't imagine going back to a 16:9, but I think this is the perfect size for me. I do find I have to move my head to read some things, and still trying to decide on zoom and text size for browsing. I think Rocket Racing is about the only thing I have played that stretched the edges when playing, but admittedly Stable Diffusion has taken a large part of my free time. I hopped on my old PC which has the 27" and it felt so small lol.

I think I am leaning towards the Asus Rog Strix xg349c which didn't even make my list above. It looks to be the Asus version of the LG 34GP950G-B I was looking at above and they are both $799. The LG looks like it might be discontinued so is getting harder to find. Also only has 1 year warranty where Asus has 3. I have heard horror stories of warranty support from both though.

I could see how 45" would be great and I know a lot of people have also said 38" 21:9 is the best though it seems that size has died. It seems a lot of people loved the discontinued LG 38GN950-B. Unfortunately for my setup, I would hate being cut off from the rest of the room especially the TV and the attachment shows why it wouldn't work for me. If I was in a dedicated space up against a wall, like my bedroom, I could see it being something I would consider. I don't have a room I can readily turn into a dedicated space for it. I always start to look after browsing people's setups since it always looks so much cleaner tucked up against a wall or in a corner. I just don't have a dedicated office space I can use.
Yeh, I had the Alienware version 2560x 1600. It was an awesome monitor. The vertical real-estate was there but I just wanted more curve and size. Well 90 days in and I am still over the moon. Low light wide angle shot. It was the only way to get it in the frame. Note the Dell 32 IPS in portrait. You can really see the difference in color and the backlight glow, even in the low light shot.
20240330_234632.jpg
20240305_151658b.jpg

Attachments

• 20240305_151658b.jpg
    20240305_151658b.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 0
Right! You can't compare 57 & modern gpu with ancient triple monitor old gpu setup!

Firstly, triple wide way to long And secondly the 57" kicks ass!

Yeh, I had the Alienware version 2560x 1600. It was an awesome monitor. The vertical real-estate was there but I just wanted more curve and size. Well 90 days in and I am still over the moon. Low light wide angle shot. It was the only way to get it in the frame. Note the Dell 32 IPS in portrait. You can really see the difference in color and the backlight glow, even in the low light shot.
View attachment 646096View attachment 646098
The monitor arms combined with how the desk manages the cables is so nice. Also noticed the decorated plaques on the wall, if you don't mind me asking what are those achievements for? Nice cozy man PC room bro such a nice personal space tastefully setup.

Thanks, They are just some awards from back in the day when I played a prominent role in developing the cellular retain business model that much of cellular retail subscribed to up until the past 5-8 years where it began to change. The other stuff is just education and certifications. I know it is trendy but I just love the wood slats with sound deading that you can get and plan on taking down the awards and such and replacing them with those. https://www.thewoodveneerhub.com/pr...ZM3FNWkK82Qo8jQYcMvvrsf7UvrpgPAMaAnYkEALw_wcB

Back