omg what happened to the memory prices ?

I believe the primary cause was the fire at the Hynix plant. At least, the primary excuse in any case.

Also they wanted to be sure they were making more money. Prices were too low for the memory cartel.

fire, competition and new kits to address rock bottom barely making cash to pay for the development are a few of the reasons. 8gb for $60 is still decent enough, as wasn't that many years ago that same 8gb would have been over $100 easy, and will not be that long before DDR4 and HMC launches and prices will be mountain high for many months as it was when DDR3, DDR2 first launched.

Do you folks think that the prices of memory will fall in time for black friday? Among other things i was hoping to grab another 16gb of Ballistix Sport

:rolleyes:except the hynix plant's fire had nothing to do with their RAM chips

Sick of hearing that as an excuse

They used fire @ 1 building as excuse to jack prices..That's ok..I'll just buy some used Hypers;They can bite me. :D
I can not buy RAM for 4 years..If the price isn't right, I'm not buying new;PS:The new MFRs which are in about everything SUCK.
So yeah..I'm not buying any overpriced,underperforming RAM until that changes.
Beware..If it's a 4GB stick..it's gonna be MFR single-sided.
You have to have 8gb sticks now..and it's still MFR :(

Last edited:
There are periods of over production / drop in demand causing prices to drop.
Manufacturing is throttled back and once the excess inventory clears, prices go back up.
Happens a lot.

As soon as the 8GB 1866Mhz kits hit $35 I was eating them up like all you can eat pancakes at Dennys. Bought about 8 sets, I learned from DDR2, wasn't going to make the same mistake with DDR3! I have had enough RAM to build plenty of spare PC's and some for friends and family at discounted prices.

:rolleyes:except the hynix plant's fire had nothing to do with their RAM chips

Sick of hearing that as an excuse

But that one plant was providing 15% of the worldwide RAM module production, which results in smaller supply trying to match the same demand as before - and that results in increased prices. Welcome to capitalism.

Soon, and I think it's happening already, every dummy that read Corsair's announcement will be offloading their <2400MHz memory into the used market.

I got my G.Skill 1866 16GB for $59 last year during a crazy Newegg sale, LOL. Quite the difference today. When DDR4 hits, we'll think this is cheap.

Yea the 2400+ mhz kits will be selling like hot cakes now.

I will tell you the real reason it went up. Reefa_Madness bought all the ram up. I think he has a small warehouse full of it now.

Soon, and I think it's happening already, every dummy that read Corsair's announcement will be offloading their <2400MHz memory into the used market.

I got my G.Skill 1866 16GB for $59 last year during a crazy Newegg sale, LOL. Quite the difference today. When DDR4 hits, we'll think this is cheap.

The cycle will just continue when DDR4 hits.

Every RAM Cycle

DDR2 Released
Year 1-3 - 200% Cost
Year 4-6 - 100%
Year 6-8 - 50%
Year 9+ - 150%
DDR3 Released
Year 1 - 200%
etc.. etc..

Same thing that caused the HDD prices to skyrocket a while back and the same thing that causes gas/energy prices to skyrocket.

One manufacturer or whatever will be hit with some accident and that in turns causes every other manufacturer to claim major impact from that event as a reason to raise their prices. It's a huge boost to their income since it takes so long for prices to level back out.

It sticks out as something pretty fishy. HDD prices were at an all time low, and then wham, prices quadruple in a week due to one plant being flooded or whatever, and take a year to come back down to what they used to be.

Memory prices all time low, and then wham, prices quadruple and will prolly be another year before they are back to what they were.

Gas profits get too low for the investors. Oops, one refinery had a fire, better raise gas prices around the country for month's even though the refinery is back online in a week.

Energy profits get too low for the investors because people are smarter and applicances/lightbulbs are getting more efficient. Better raise our rates to compensate, so not only are they able to get by with less output from the plants, they get to charge us more to boot...

Oh how I love the economy....

Markets like this with a huge barrier to entry and relatively few manufacturers are prone to artificial price movements and lack of competitive pricing pressure.

You don't need to guess about why ram prices went up, the information has been public knowledge for a while...instead of risking getting sued for "price fixing", the main reason is that the major ram producers started reducing their output, putting out public statements that they were switching production to more profitable products, such as flash memory and ECC ram for the server market, hence they "created" a shortage of the ICs used for desktop and laptop memories...which resulted in an uptick in the prices of the raw materials for the likes of Corsair, GSkill, Mushkin, etc. That increase in raw material prices reflects itself in the increased prices of the retail products. They learned from their prior mistakes and by doing it this way, including the announcing of their reallocation of production resources they avoid the risk of government intervention and Justice Department lawsuits.

The second reason for the price increase, an equally as significant, has to do with supply and demand and is directly related to this:

KILLER_K said:
I will tell you the real reason it went up. Reefa_Madness bought all the ram up. I think he has a small warehouse full of it now.

Funny guy...perhaps a career as a stand-up comedian is in his future???

That is a good way to get out of monopoly. Go through the loop hole or create one in their case.....

You don't need to guess about why ram prices went up, the information has been public knowledge for a while...instead of risking getting sued for "price fixing", the main reason is that the major ram producers started reducing their output, putting out public statements that they were switching production to more profitable products, such as flash memory and ECC ram for the server market, hence they "created" a shortage of the ICs used for desktop and laptop memories..

The second reason for the price increase, an equally as significant, has to do with supply and demand and is directly related to this:

Funny guy...perhaps a career as a stand-up comedian is in his future???

I wished as I need another job to keep up with all this new tech coming out. But it is nice to sit back and watch everyone get something nice and post their comments and reviews on it.

Reefa madness nailed this issue on the head. Just to add these prices will never come down again; period. Just like HDDs, where now the going rate for a 1 TB is $65, while a couple years ago before the floods it was more like $45. Ram prices are gonna slightly decrease and then stabilize for good (and not for us DIYers good). I cant imagine the prices the DDR4 chips are going to launch. Im speculating low hundreds ($100-109).

Markets like this with a huge barrier to entry and relatively few manufacturers are prone to artificial price movements and lack of competitive pricing pressure.

I understand this market is really low, but I think we have seen this same type of behavior before in Processors, but AMD starting to balk the trend and really aggressively go after the budget crowd. I see none of the mfgs in RAM or even HDD for that matter start competitively pricing. If a mfg really wants to become #1, a simple AMD maneuver would be amazing as most consumers flock in the hundreds to that mfg.

Who knows, I`m no economist so lol

Strange that it's continuing to go up, a few weeks ago I got 8GB for $75 now it's $90 (Canadian $)

Just like the HDD fiasco, with 2TB for $39 and then 8GB ram for $30 something had to give.

Heh. I guess I bought memory at the right time then. I guess my other computers are sticking with 8 and 4GB kits... I'm glad hard drives finally came down because I was running out of space quick.

^They came down, but not till the point pre-price increases. Currently the 1TB is about 60, while before we were talking about $30

It's the timing of unloading your high spec DDR3 on Ebay when supplies have dried up 4 years into DDR4's reign thats important.

All those $40 kits then going for $140.

"Next year" (referring to article Majinsnake provided) is soon and I want to say I think we've seen the highest it will go.

Shameless plug I have a set of 2133Mhz 2x4GB G.Skill Ares in the F/S forum.

If DDR3 Prices dont fall in the next year or so, DDR4 prices will be equivalent to a low end i3

I am pretty sure reefa maddness is responsible for 50% of this... every thread with descent ram in it next to the ram listing says " sold to Reefa-Madness. and I am on 3 different sites!
Honestly a little annoyed that one guy is buying ALL the ram. I mean why does he need it?
I am sure there are alot of people who would have benefited from the ram he's bought.

That HDD is a good reference..
And AMD is not trying to do the cheap route anymore. you can't pretend the 9370s didn't happen.. they only clocked to 5ghz and cost 800-900$
How is that trying to be a cheaper alternative to intel?
I pray no one in the ram ndustry pulls an AMD. shelling out cheaper products that don't perform as well as their competitions counterparts...
I spent 200$ on 16gb of 2500MHZ 1T ram and I am not that upset about it. It is funny to see the kits of memory I got for free with my RIVE that MSRPd at 30-40$ going for 80-90 though went they are poorly clocking cas 9 1600 mhz sticks

The way ram prices are going it will be cheaper to bin your own ICs before too long

Hey Reefa............I know you got's an 8gb kit of Samsung Ram waiting for me to buy. PM me with a reasonable price !

Last edited:
This post was pretty funny. I wasn't attacking him. I know him very well and was just making a random post picking at him. Perhaps he bought some ram that you was interested in? Sometimes you got to be fast to get something in the forums. He might sale you some ram if you ask him though.

I am pretty sure reefa maddness is responsible for 50% of this... every thread with descent ram in it next to the ram listing says " sold to Reefa-Madness. and I am on 3 different sites!
Honestly a little annoyed that one guy is buying ALL the ram. I mean why does he need it?
I am sure there are alot of people who would have benefited from the ram he's bought.

That HDD is a good reference..
And AMD is not trying to do the cheap route anymore. you can't pretend the 9370s didn't happen.. they only clocked to 5ghz and cost 800-900$
How is that trying to be a cheaper alternative to intel?
I pray no one in the ram ndustry pulls an AMD. shelling out cheaper products that don't perform as well as their competitions counterparts...
I spent 200$ on 16gb of 2500MHZ 1T ram and I am not that upset about it. It is funny to see the kits of memory I got for free with my RIVE that MSRPd at 30-40$ going for 80-90 though went they are poorly clocking cas 9 1600 mhz sticks

The way ram prices are going it will be cheaper to bin your own ICs before too long

tatm Mrk.RIVE said:

...if you only visit 3 sites then you've missed out on a bunch of my other ram purchases. I'm not settling for just 50% responsibility / credit...I'm shooting to corner the market, one kit at a time. :)

Hey Rifa............I know you got's an 8gb kit of Samsung Ram waiting for me to buy. PM me with a reasonable price !

That same kit you sold me..., well it entered the Reefa_Madness Black Hole...once stuff goes in it never makes it out. :D

Just when I'm ready to build a new computer too......Even no-name brand ram is expensive. What a gut blow.

Back