OLED: 2015 LG 65EG9600 4k + 4 Titan Xs

Pastuch

Gawd
This dude has the craziest gaming PC I've ever heard of. Super jealous.

4k Oled 55 inch curve with 4 Titan Xs.

From AVS forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...-lg-55eg9600-65eg9600-4k-13.html#post33313665

Member: amcquaid
PC Gaming
Chad Reviewed My set the other day. Before Chad came and we figured out how to make 4:4:4 work text was very blurry. After it was resolved text was an order of magnitude better. To make it work you need to use HDMI 1 or 2, enable super deep color, Change the name of the input to PC, and Change the ICON to that of a PC. At least that is what worked for me.

I am driving this display with 4 Titan X GPUs in Quad SLI. So far I can run any modern game at max settings as long as SLI isn't broken in the game (Watchdogs for example) or CPU limited (Attila Total War). Game play is smooth and the visuals are beyond anything I have experienced before. Response time doesn't feel that bad. I don't have a way to do a scientific measurement but I hooked up My ASUS PQ321Q 4K IGZO monitor and cloned the display. We than ran the timer test and took pictures. In game mode thre seemed to be next to no difference between input lag on the TV vs the Monitor. We had the TV on HDMI and the Monitor on DP 1.2.

Granted I am more of a single player gamer and don't do competitive online multiplayer FPS so i am not as sensitive to input lag as Pros would be. I played a couple of hours of the Battlefield Hard-line campaign and didn't notice any issues. I also had no issues in Dying Light. Both games looked epic. Same goes for AC unity and AC Rouge, both games looked awesome on this tv.

For general PC usage this works as a great monitor. Its huge but the text is sharp enough after you get 4:4:4 working that you should be able to use it for any productivity task you want to throw at it. I sit about 4 feed back from the TV and I can read text fine with scaling disabled in windows 8.1.

Native 4K video on Utube looks epic but anything that is not running at native resolution doesn't look that good. I would recommend this TV to those who are going to power it with a very powerful PC (Dual Titan X would be the minimum recommendation). I don't know that I would purchase this as a TV for consuming today's video content. I have a Pioneer Elite Plasma in the living room and I am happy with that for now. Until the industry catches up with 4K I think I will hold off replacing my main TV.

One issue that I haven't' been able to figure out is that the display seems to enter some sort of power saving mode where brightness is greatly reduced. It comes and goes and seems to correct itself without user intervention. If anybody has a pro tip for that please share.

Special thanks to Chad for all of his help and effort to get this display properly setup.

Amazing setup! :cool: Nice to finally get some gaming impressions for these 4K OLEDs as well. Definitely my next upgrade, hopefully in a few years once prices are more reasonable.

Reading this post to the end of the thread is pretty interesting. Highly impressive and I wish I had that kind of money to burn! Mad props to that dude!

How well OLED TV can substitute PC display? In terms of image quality/"clearness".

Yep, i think ima do that upgrade to x99... - waitadaminute!! :eek:

Threads like this make me want to scratch that upgrade itch i've been holding off for a good while now...

on bright side, people like me running EVGA's SR2 dual xeons setups still smile when they read X99 gamers being " CPU limited" in Attila Total War.

Makes me wonder how the Sr2 would behave with quad Titan X :confused:

Owner of the TV + quad Titan Xs had this to say about the necessity of quad Titans:

"I respectfully disagree with the above statement. I had Quad GTX 980 before I upgraded to Quad Titan X. With Quad GTX 980 I got crappy performance in AC Unity and Dying Light. After I upgraded to Titan X my problems in those games went away. AC Unity uses over 8GB of the Frame buffer and Dying Light uses the best part of 6GB. The 4GB frame buffer on the 980 is just not sufficient for the current crop of next gen titles. I only see this getting worse not better. I would imagine that the Witcher 3 will crush even my Quad Titan setup.

Bear in mind that I run my games with everything maxed including Ultra resolution texture packs where applicable. You may get decent performance with low settings but in my experience the 980 will not cut the mustard at 4K with in game settings maxed."

Seriously, this guy must not even know what the word "budget" means. Great information though!

Awesome. I plan to do something similar once the price of OLED drops to around the ~$2000 mark and we have cards that are fast enough in 4k with only 1-2 cards max.

Ha, riiight. That mole on Kate Uptons face keeps you from dating her, too I bet.

on bright side, people like me running EVGA's SR2 dual xeons setups still smile when they read X99 gamers being " CPU limited" in Attila Total War.

Makes me wonder how the Sr2 would behave with quad Titan X :confused:

Even years later i still would love to get my hands on a SR2 and go to town with a couple X5639/60/70s. Just not willing to drop $600+ for one, though. :eek:

How well OLED TV can substitute PC display? In terms of image quality/"clearness".

That's not even a contest. Even the best LCD/LED monitors look absolutely pathetic compared to OLED, and quite honestly, even plasma televisions. We were using OLEDs at my last job, but sadly, they have terrible image retention issues,

Anyway, I use a plasma (Pioneer Kuro) for couch gaming whenever possible until OLEDs come of age for gaming.

This is the television on with the lights off and PC output displaying a black screen. And honestly, it's picture quality looks miles better than my EIZO ColorEdge monitors. OLEDs look even better than this television.

http://i.imgur.com/3epwDuN.jpg

Now try taking a picture of your PC monitor with the lights off displaying a black screen. And no, that picture hasn't been modified at all.

Looks very nice but the input lag would annoy me on that OLED!

He said he ran a camera test along with his PG321Q and the time was pretty much the same - so about 30 ms. Not good, but definitely not bad either. 20 ms isn't too high a price to pay for infinite contrast.

That's not even a contest. Even the best LCD/LED monitors look absolutely pathetic compared to OLED, and quite honestly, even plasma televisions. We were using OLEDs at my last job, but sadly, they have terrible image retention issues,

Anyway, I use a plasma (Pioneer Kuro) for couch gaming whenever possible until OLEDs come of age for gaming.

This is the television on with the lights off and PC output displaying a black screen. And honestly, it's picture quality looks miles better than my EIZO ColorEdge monitors. OLEDs look even better than this television.

http://i.imgur.com/3epwDuN.jpg

Now try taking a picture of your PC monitor with the lights off displaying a black screen. And no, that picture hasn't been modified at all.

I use my LG OLED for gaming (EC9300) and I haven't had any IR issues at all. I would be wary of using it for general desktop usage though since static elements will stay on the screen for much longer.

He said he ran a camera test along with his PG321Q and the time was pretty much the same - so about 30 ms. Not good, but definitely not bad either. 20 ms isn't too high a price to pay for infinite contrast.

Ah 30ms is not too bad my TV is around that and is OK for everything except some FPS games, I thought it was about 50-60ms. Damn I want one of those 4k OLED's maybe I could sell some organs!

Ah 30ms is not too bad my TV is around that and is OK for everything except some FPS games, I thought it was about 50-60ms. Damn I want one of those 4k OLED's maybe I could sell some organs!

Seeing how fast OLED has dropped in price since the $15,000 2013 model that was only 1080p, I'm sure in 3-4 more years most of us here will start rocking OLED sets :D

This dude has the craziest gaming PC I've ever heard of. Super jealous.

4k Oled 55 inch curve with 4 Titan Xs.

From AVS forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...-lg-55eg9600-65eg9600-4k-13.html#post33313665

Member: amcquaid
PC Gaming
Chad Reviewed My set the other day. Before Chad came and we figured out how to make 4:4:4 work text was very blurry. After it was resolved text was an order of magnitude better. To make it work you need to use HDMI 1 or 2, enable super deep color, Change the name of the input to PC, and Change the ICON to that of a PC. At least that is what worked for me.

I am driving this display with 4 Titan X GPUs in Quad SLI. So far I can run any modern game at max settings as long as SLI isn't broken in the game (Watchdogs for example) or CPU limited (Attila Total War). Game play is smooth and the visuals are beyond anything I have experienced before. Response time doesn't feel that bad. I don't have a way to do a scientific measurement but I hooked up My ASUS PQ321Q 4K IGZO monitor and cloned the display. We than ran the timer test and took pictures. In game mode thre seemed to be next to no difference between input lag on the TV vs the Monitor. We had the TV on HDMI and the Monitor on DP 1.2.

Granted I am more of a single player gamer and don't do competitive online multiplayer FPS so i am not as sensitive to input lag as Pros would be. I played a couple of hours of the Battlefield Hard-line campaign and didn't notice any issues. I also had no issues in Dying Light. Both games looked epic. Same goes for AC unity and AC Rouge, both games looked awesome on this tv.

For general PC usage this works as a great monitor. Its huge but the text is sharp enough after you get 4:4:4 working that you should be able to use it for any productivity task you want to throw at it. I sit about 4 feed back from the TV and I can read text fine with scaling disabled in windows 8.1.

Native 4K video on Utube looks epic but anything that is not running at native resolution doesn't look that good. I would recommend this TV to those who are going to power it with a very powerful PC (Dual Titan X would be the minimum recommendation). I don't know that I would purchase this as a TV for consuming today's video content. I have a Pioneer Elite Plasma in the living room and I am happy with that for now. Until the industry catches up with 4K I think I will hold off replacing my main TV.

One issue that I haven't' been able to figure out is that the display seems to enter some sort of power saving mode where brightness is greatly reduced. It comes and goes and seems to correct itself without user intervention. If anybody has a pro tip for that please share.

Special thanks to Chad for all of his help and effort to get this display properly setup.

Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

I actually considered this monitor but then read that the samsung JS9000 had better input lag. Can anyone confirm which setup is better? I just got the JS9000 55"

I actually considered this monitor but then read that the samsung JS9000 had better input lag. Can anyone confirm which setup is better? I just got the JS9000 55"

JS9000 is supposed to have 20 ms input lag, so 10 ms and nearly a frame faster than the LG at ~30 ms. I doubt anyone can actually confirm with both setups on hand, though.

The EG9600 has around 50-55ms input lag, I don't have a link but an owner over at AVS tested it awhile back. However, that was at 1080P upscaled to 4K.

And for what it's worth the Samsung sets seem to have higher input lag in native 4K (52 ms.), see the quote at the end of this post:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041581606&postcount=2554

I always thought input lag would be lower due to no upscaling but that doesn't seem to be the case. Anyway, that would put it around the same as the LG, but I don't know if the LG's input lag is even higher in native 4K.

More input lag testing should be done at native 4K on these displays, most everyone is going off 1080P numbers.

Last edited:
Back