Old School: CRT monitor high pitch noise

Ang

Gawd
:confused: Not sure if this goes here :confused:

So I am at work.. and we have fairly old computers here.. and old displays.. but this kind of scared me.

I was sitting at my computer and I heard a high pitch whining noise.. Couldn't figure out what it was from, but later found out it was from the monitor, because when I turned it on and off it would stop accordingly.

It was very irritating, so I went to switch it with another CRT monitor, but before I switched it, I touched the back part of the monitor to make sure the cables were all plugged in and just the plastic housing of the monitor shocked the hell out of me, but then the noise went away. 5 minutes later, the noise started up again, and the monitor shocked me again, and the noise went away.

Now the noise has been gone for a long time, but should I be worried of like a capacitor blowing up or some crazy stuff happening? Or does this normally happen with CRTs?

@Ang, try different refresh rates and see if any of them eliminate (or greatly reduce) the noise. I used to have a CRT monitor that had a high pitch whine at 75 Hz but was quiet at 85 Hz.

Back