Old power supply just exploded

sniper991122

Supreme [H]ardness
So I was attempting to get my computer to work one last time and I plugged the cord into the outlet and then into the power supply and it immediately made 2 popping noises and then i immediately unplugged it...

my question is what just happened? Obviously the power supply is probably dead now but what happened and are the rest of the components in the computer okay? (I have no way of testing them since this is the only power supply i have that will work for this computer) There was also a faint smell of something burning or fried...

Sounds like you blew a cap (capacitor). While you probably could fix it with all of the power stored in a PSU best to just leave it be and buy a new one unless you really know what you are doing.

Why - cheap/bad manufacture and or just old

well my computer quit working a month ago and I had suspected it was the power supply.. its a 2 year old dell power supply (the problem right there) and giving it that one last go caused that to explode...

my last and most important question... did it harm anything else in the computer? What are the chances? :confused: :(

sniper991122 said:
well my computer quit working a month ago and I had suspected it was the power supply.. its a 2 year old dell power supply (the problem right there) and giving it that one last go caused that to explode...

my last and most important question... did it harm anything else in the computer? What are the chances? :confused: :(
Your other hardware is probobly safe...unless you go pluging a normal PSU into that Dell motherboard.

Dell uses a non-standard pin-out on their PSU's, if you were to plug in a normal PSU it would blow out your motherboard. You'll have to look up the pin layout and rewire the ATX connector on your new PSU before you can test it (or hook it up to a non-Dell motherboard).

thats a big relief... Im about to order a new motherboard, cpu, case and power supply so that should finally get me out of the properitary shit hole that dell has established...

I just needed the graphics card, memory and hard drives from this computer... glad to know those are safe

Back