Old JVC receiver and Audigy sound card?

PTRMAN

Limp Gawd
Trying to connect PC with old Creative Audigy sound card to even older JVC RX-1028V receiver and I can't figure out how to get 5.1 sound. The receiver is hooked to an equally old Bose 5.1 system.

Comcast DVR is hooked up via optical cable and works OK.

I've got a cable that plugs into the card the splits into a red and a white lead. Using the green output jack on the card and a TV Source input (right and left) I can get sound, but not the voice track.

I know this stuff is ancient, but anyone have any experience with this?

You are using a stereo lead which is for 2 speakers.
To get 6 speakers, you need 3 leads.

Trying to connect PC with old Creative Audigy sound card to even older JVC RX-1028V receiver and I can't figure out how to get 5.1 sound. The receiver is hooked to an equally old Bose 5.1 system.

Comcast DVR is hooked up via optical cable and works OK.

I've got a cable that plugs into the card the splits into a red and a white lead. Using the green output jack on the card and a TV Source input (right and left) I can get sound, but not the voice track.

I know this stuff is ancient, but anyone have any experience with this?

Make sure your audio driver's control panel is set to output 2 channel stereo sound.

He wants 5.1.

Op, I cant find the manual online so you need to provide info.
Does your receiver have 5.1 analogue inputs or does it have coax SPDIF input?

Dos the comcast box give 5.1?

Hey PTRMAN what is the model number on that audigy card as some have the spdif outputs which is the coaxial digital output cable that looks like a regular rca plug but just one cable. If you have one of these outputs (i think they were black on some models) then you can get a cable to hook t your receiver. If not then some cards have a header on them where you can get an adapter and mount that somewhere on the case externally and hook to your receiver as well. Also you might have a spdif port depending on your motherboard and could go that route as well.

Once you actually get a digital output from your computer to receiver then you really just need to mess with the windows sound output stuff.

I hope this helps.

I didn't see the part where he wanted 5.1... lol... whoops.

You've pretty much got two choices with your existing equipment:

As someone said above if the Audigy has an SPDIF output via 3.5mm you'll need to get an adapter to convert it to standard RCA and run it to one of the coaxial digital inputs on the receiver (usually orange in color).

Even then surround audio will only work in movies, and only then if you get the right player and bitstreaming setup correctly.

Surround audio for games will not work without Dolby Digital Live support which I don't think the Audigy does...

- OR -

I'm pretty sure that JVC RX-1028V has discrete 6 channel audio inputs on the back (aka '6 channel direct'). If so you can get two more of those 3.5mm to 2-channel RCA adapters (like the one you're already using) and use them to run the outputs from the Audigy to the discrete 6 channel direct inputs on the rear of your JVC RX-1028V. You're dealing with what amounts to 6 wires instead of a single digital line, but the advantage is you'll get full surround audio (even in games) with a lot less dicking around in software required.

Back