Old G3/G4 iBook

Mojo

[H]ard|Gawd
I have nothing to spend money on this summer, so I was thinking at the end of the summer I might pick up an old iBook off ebay for $300-$500 Canadian. There are quite a few ones in this price range, most are between G3 500mhz and G4 1ghz. I was wondering, how much ram would I need if I just want it for music, surfing, homework, chatting, all out fooling around. Nothing extreme, I might like to play Starcraft of something on it, but nothing intense.

What should I make sure it has? I want OSX FOR SURE! How much ram do I NEED to have? What video processor should I get? I was just wondering if you MAC guys can give me a few pointers on what is a necessity in the mac world. I realize the more ram the better, the faster CPU the better, etc. But what are the recommended specs to do what I listed above?

Also: If anyone is in Canada, is there any reliable places where I can buy a good used iBook around the said price?

I would recommend getting a G4 ibook or Powerbook, Iv'e heard fewer problems out of them then their were for the G3's. Also, your going to want at least 512MB of memory for OS X otherwise multitasking can get bogged down. OS X loves memory so even 1GB would bring you nice results. And of course, be careful what you buy - make sure the screen / keys are in good shape. One of the biggest problem Iv'e noticed with older ibooks is that the keys tend to ware off and it's not a whole lot of fun driving to an apple store (around here) just to get those replaced.

Back