Old Computer Parts to ZFS NAS?

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently do not own a home NAS solution. I use a combination of what free cloud storage I have between Google/OneDrive and a local cheap solution of using Microsoft SyncToy to replicate data to a USB drive.

Not ideal.

In fact, every time I've thought about building a home NAS solution I can't help but think how much more efficient a cloud solution is. I've lived through a house fire and lost everything but the shirt on my back.. I know that off prem backup is the best. So I have the upmost important data of mine in the cloud, but I feel I can safely backup the rest at home without reoccurring costs. So .. here I am, back to considering a home NAS solution.

Prices for store bought/pre built NAS's seem excessive and since I have spare parts laying around I thought I'd put them to use and build a NAS. I've done a bit of research regarding FreeNAS, ZFS and memory caching etc.. but I'm trying to keep this build affordable and try to simply use what I have without having to buy more .. if possible.

Thinking of building a FreeNAS (ZFS) based solution with...

• Q6600
  • 4GB RAM
  • Onboard Video
  • 4x2TB Drives

I have the motherboard as well, but I need a new PSU, a cheap case and a cheap USB drive for FreeNAS. Because I'm trying to cut costs and because I'm going to use onboard video, I"m thinking I can get away with a 350W PSU. Any thoughts on that? Also, any ideas for a cheap ATX case for this purpose?

Lastly, my biggest and only real concern is with the memory. I've read that FreeNAS recommends a 1GB to 1TB RAM to disk ratio when using ZFS. Also ECC memory. I should point out that I'm not incredibly concerned about cache or write performance. This isn't some enterprise grade requirement and I don't need high IOPS. I need cheap disk, and a solid NAS solution with a 'can do' attitude. My memory is DDR2, so I'd like to avoid buying more of that at an elevated price if possible.

Is using 4GB in this solution going to be unstable or will I be ok? Thanks for any input.

You really don't need that much ram if you're going to just serve up files to hosts on your lan. 4GB is probably fine...

You really don't need that much ram if you're going to just serve up files to hosts on your lan. 4GB is probably fine...

Good to know, I didn't think much about presenting the data out as well.

I have 3 ZoL servers at here work with only 4GB of ram. None of these 3 has ECC. Although they are lesser used systems.

On the power supply front, I was running an E3 system with 6x3TB drives off a 400W PSU with no issues. You're probably only looking at a 30W difference between my system and yours. I'd think you'd be fine.

Awesome, thanks for the input guys. I think I"m going to baseline with just getting the parts I need to complete the build then tinker around.

I ran freenas on similar equipment for 2 years or so without issues. I only had 3x1TB drives but it worked flawless. You will be fine for what you want to do. Be prepared to fall down the rabbit hole though and in a couple years really expanding it.

I have since upgraded to 6x2TB in raidz2 so I upgraded some of the equipment.

Back