OK for fan cable to come into contact with HS?

Citizen Snips

Limp Gawd
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm a complete n00b and want to make sure I didn't screw anything up in my first build. I have a core i7 920 and a Prolimatech Megahalems cooler. Is it OK if the wire from the fan mounted on the HS comes into contact with the HS itself, or do I need to find a way to route the fan cable so that it doesn't touch the HS? My concern is that the heat coming off the heatsink could melt the fan cable, although I don't know how hot the HS itself gets (as opposed to the CPU core).

Is that a valid concern or is that not a problem?

Touch your HSF, it'll most likely be cool to the touch near the top parts. If it's not hot, you're fine.

I have always routed my cpu cooler's fan wiring around the base area of the heatsink in all my builds to facilitate "creative cable management", never an issue.

Same here, the fan wire for my Thermalright XP-90 (old A64/s939 rig) is wrapped around/between the heatpipes between the base and the fins and I've never had an issue. If you wanna be certain just do what others said and touch it, unless it's uncomfortably warm it won't melt anything.

Back