Official PS5 Thread

Select YUV422 color format maybe?

You can’t select anything like that at all, that’s just what’s available via your hdmi cable/tv

im wondering if it’s just the PS5 dashboard that’s stuck to 60hz and when you launch a compatible game like Dirt 5 or whatever it automatically jumps to 120hz???

You can’t select anything like that at all, that’s just what’s available via your hdmi cable/tv

im wondering if it’s just the PS5 dashboard that’s stuck to 60hz and when you launch a compatible game like Dirt 5 or whatever it automatically jumps to 120hz???

I forget where I read it, but I think that's the case. It was a borderline clickbait article talking about "5 reasons why the Xbox is better" or something like that. The series X UI runs at whatever your max refresh rate is while the PS5 is currently set to 60Hz.

I forget where I read it, but I think that's the case. It was a borderline clickbait article talking about "5 reasons why the Xbox is better" or something like that. The series X UI runs at whatever your max refresh rate is while the PS5 is currently set to 60Hz.

Nice, ok that makes sense but i was legit about to lose my shit. Couldn't figure it out and it was really bugging me.

By the way guys, I’ve been tech junkie/gamer my entire life. Owned like every console, tons of gaming PCs.

Im 34. I just want to say that the Dual Sense PS5 controller is the real fucken deal!

This thing is fucking incredible, you have to experience it first hand. Play Astros play room. I was blown away. Something so simple yet complex. It is SOOOO SOOO GOOD. I can only imagine in the near future how amazing it’ll be once all the developers implement it into the latest games. It’s a big time game changer.

That for me already won the entire console war. Game. Set. Match. Sony.

By the way guys, I’ve been tech junkie/gamer my entire life. Owned like every console, tons of gaming PCs.

Im 34. I just want to say that the Dual Sense PS5 controller is the real fucken deal!

This thing is fucking incredible, you have to experience it first hand. Play Astros play room. I was blown away. Something so simple yet complex. It is SOOOO SOOO GOOD. I can only imagine in the near future how amazing it’ll be once all the developers implement it into the latest games. It’s a big time game changer.

That for me already won the entire console war. Game. Set. Match. Sony.

I second this. Holy shit. The adaptive triggers and feedback are incredible. I hope more games use these features because they really are a game changer.

I can only imagine in the near future how amazing it’ll be once all the developers implement it into the latest games. It’s a big time game changer.

the big question is if a lot of developers will implement it going forward...

What I think is really going on is some Sony tomfoolery. There's no way the disk drive costs anywhere near $100. I bet that's a $20 part. That means the markup is greater on the disk version. Given that both consoles are likely being sold at a loss... the disk version would be less of a loss. It's a phenomenal strategy... come out with both versions, so that they can say they have a $399 next gen console when the $499 one is the one they really want to sell. Manufacture at a 25/75 split (I'm guessing here), knowing every unit is going to sell instantly for months to come anyway. Brag about having the cheaper next gen console (ignoring the S), while delivering as few as you possibly can to say it actually exists. This is all speculation, but it's my honest guess as what's happening here.
There is no tomfoolery. They are willing to take a bigger cut on the digital version cause they get a bigger cut from digital downloads then physical. They would prefer if every console was digital.

I'm sure there are several levels of reasons for why this or that. But I think the most simple thing is this:

If you don't care about being able to play your existing, physical copy PS4 games on PS5. And also don't care about the possibility to buy used physical copies: you can get the digital version of the PS5, save $100, and not lose any of the core hardware specs.

If you do care about physical backwards compatibility and/or phyiscal used games, buy the version with the disc drive. It also doubles as a 4K blu-ray player so that's cool, too.

Target is finally shipping their pre-orders. Mine is supposed to show up Sunday via FedEx ground. The Amazon Prime ones are also scheduled for that day, although they might be quicker depending on where you live. The one I ordered is heading to the middle of nowhere. Nothing further out of Best Buy, but it seems like there are no complications with local pick-up next Friday.

Ok so I had my first PS5 crash. I wanted to try out remote play through the PS4 late last night. Got it working then I went and turned off the TV and Audio system in the living room. I went back to the other room and for some reason it was telling me to resetup the calibration. Not sure why I guess because I turned off the TV the PS5 was connected to. Though it did all the HDR calibrations, it really shouldn't have as the TV the PS4 is now connected to is just a 32" 1080p non HDR set and shouldn't really matter given it's not really connected to the PS5. Then I was playing Spider-man via remote play and it seemed to be going good, then all of a sudden I lost my connection as a cutscene started. I went back to the PS5 and it was off. I turned on the TV powered up the PS5, it did some rebuild for a second and I sent troubleshooting data to Sony. Everything seemed fine again, so not sure what happened there.

LOL. Amazon sent an email out at 6pm Eastern night last night saying they had these in. Between computer and phone my emails are seen very quickly. That email didn't make it through until...now. LOL. Not that it would have mattered. I'm sure if I had clicked on that link right at 6pm on the dot things would have been already gone.

This is a bad look for a lot of these companies not just Sony. This has been going on for several years. When people have to either get super lucky/feel lucky or get gouged to buy some product something isn't right. COVID just made it even worse. Too bad.

Last edited:
Ok so I had my first PS5 crash. I wanted to try out remote play through the PS4 late last night. Got it working then I went and turned off the TV and Audio system in the living room. I went back to the other room and for some reason it was telling me to resetup the calibration. Not sure why I guess because I turned off the TV the PS5 was connected to. Though it did all the HDR calibrations, it really shouldn't have as the TV the PS4 is now connected to is just a 32" 1080p non HDR set and shouldn't really matter given it's not really connected to the PS5. Then I was playing Spider-man via remote play and it seemed to be going good, then all of a sudden I lost my connection as a cutscene started. I went back to the PS5 and it was off. I turned on the TV powered up the PS5, it did some rebuild for a second and I sent troubleshooting data to Sony. Everything seemed fine again, so not sure what happened there.
Shit happens. They are still new and bugs are expected. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Anyone try out one of the controllers on their PC via Bluetooth yet?

My PS5 show-up yesterday never received a tracking number and Walmart is still showing my PS5 as delayed on my account. :rolleyes:

20201112_211650.jpg

Unfortunately, since my nephew Xbox series x has been delayed by Amazon and I have no idea if it will make it by Christmas day I am going to hold off and not open it. If the Xbox doesn't show up by Christmas eve I will just give him the PS5+ extra controller and the PS5 3 games I already purchase as his Christmas present. I'll try to see if I can get an AMD 6800XT for myself :ROFLMAO:

My PS5 show-up yesterday never received a tracking number and Walmart is still showing my PS5as delayed on my account.
Walmart is a shitshow for the next gen console orders. I cancelled my preorders with them 2-3 weeks before release and they still delivered them to me. Charged me for the XSX and XSS, haven't been charged for my PS5 (yet).

Ok so after digging about 30 minutes, through everything, here’s what I’ve got.

You can’t set the SONY UI to 120hz like you easily can on the Xbox Series X.

There just isn’t an option/toggle for it.

but when I launched COD BLACK OPS Cold War, I noticed in graphics settings that ray tracing is enabled by default and performance mode 120hz was disabled/grayed out.

WTF?

So after further digging and trying to figure out why I couldn’t turn it on when my tv/hdmi was 2.1 and enabled through settings on the tv, I figured it out.

In the PS5 system settings, there’s a menu called saved games/app settings. You go there and you have options on how you want your games to default. Either to performance mode / image quality ( I think )

As soon as I turned on the performance mode toggle and relaunched Cold War, it was already on 120hz mode in game. Man, what a difference especially for multiplayer, awesome stuff.

Performance mode does disable ray tracing though but I don’t care

But I just wanted to point out that these idiots made it hard to find. Should be it’s own menu and easily accessible.

the big question is if a lot of developers will implement it going forward...

I expect mostly first party titles to use the controller hardware. And that's all I really care about since that'll be mostly what I'll be playing on PS5. Apparently the new CoD utilizes the adaptive triggers for unique gun feeling though, so that's cool I guess, but I'll be playing it on PC still and only for the campaign really.

Target is finally shipping their pre-orders. Mine is supposed to show up Sunday via FedEx ground. The Amazon Prime ones are also scheduled for that day, although they might be quicker depending on where you live. The one I ordered is heading to the middle of nowhere. Nothing further out of Best Buy, but it seems like there are no complications with local pick-up next Friday.
My Target order is supposed to be here today, but I did also preorder within the first week of announcements.

that PS5 bundle at AntOnline (currently out of stock) looks really impressive- PS5, 2 DualSense controllers plus 4 games- Last of Us 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Miles Morales Ultimate Edition and Demon's Souls...a bit expensive at $840 but I haven't seen anyone else offering 4 games (3 great games and Black Ops)...anyone buy that bundle?

I expect mostly first party titles to use the controller hardware. And that's all I really care about since that'll be mostly what I'll be playing on PS5. Apparently the new CoD utilizes the adaptive triggers for unique gun feeling though, so that's cool I guess, but I'll be playing it on PC still and only for the campaign really.

I can confirm it does on Black Ops Cold War, and its awesome. I think most will utilize it, its too fucking awesome not too.

There is no tomfoolery. They are willing to take a bigger cut on the digital version cause they get a bigger cut from digital downloads then physical. They would prefer if every console was digital.

I’m going to use some fast and loose math here, so call this all a guess, not a fact...

The average (first hand sale) games per PS4 is roughly 10. Let’s say that, factoring sales, price drops, indie games, etc the average purchase price is $40 per game, or $400 in software sales per console. I believe I read Sony makes a 20% higher cut for digital sales. By that math, on an all digital console they’d make $80 more per console, less than the difference in cost between the two.

Long term, I’d agree with you. When Sony refines their manufacturing so that they are not loosing money on consoles, the digital console is the better sell. But at launch, where their losing money on the systems and there aren’t many games to sell, I could see the appeal of moving more of the system that loses less money.

If not that, then why does it seem that there are significantly more disk consoles? Why would they make more of the one they want to sell less of?

Ps5 showed up today. First impression: it’s fucking hideous. I didn’t like how it looked when they unveiled it, and I didn’t like it when I heard how big it was, but I wasn’t prepared for the combination of the two. It’s so intrusively ugly under my otherwise extremely clean entertainment center. Even my wife, seeing it for the first time, went “what the fuck is that?” — it’s seriously the worst looking game console I’ve ever seen and it’s bewildering Sony though this 1960s prediction of 2060 space toy looking thing was a good look. I’m going to have to find a way to obscure it, I hate looking at it (especially since it’s lit up at all times).

thankfully, my negative opinion ends there. With getting both the series x and PS5 this week, the later feels more exciting. The Xbox is very good, but it’s more of the same. Better, for sure, but nothing new. It feels like a GPU upgrade. The games look better. The frame rates are higher. The experience is otherwise unchanged.

The star of the show this generation is the PS5 controller. I’m not normally taken in by stuff like that and wrote off the haptics as a gimmick. But feeling them first hand, it’s truly special. The rumble feels like the whole controller is made of nothing but vibration motors, and the triggers are incredibly cool. Firing up Astro’s playground was nothing but “wow” moments. The series x had no wow moments, because I already knew what it was capable of.

im really hoping that we some day see PS5 controller support, with all the haptics, on pc. Likewise, if MS were paying attention, I hope they are hard at work on a new pad with these features, because they are seriously cool.

im really hoping that we some day see PS5 controller support, with all the haptics, on pc some day. Likewise, if MS were paying attention, I hope they are hard at work on a new pad with these features, because they are seriously cool.
I'll be curious to see how the haptics improves Demon's Souls.

Didnt get it. I’ve never gotten into the souls games. I don’t have the patients for them. I don’t find punishing games rewarding.

Didnt get it. I’ve never gotten into the souls games. I don’t have the patients for them. I don’t find punishing games rewarding.
I felt like that once, getting annoyed when I first played the intro area of Dark Souls 1 and getting one-shotted by the first boss and kept dying.. but once I beat him I was hooked, something clicked. Now FROM is my favorite developer.

The hook isn't so much "getting punished and liking it"; it's that the game world is daunting and has consequences, and so your actions and approach feels like it means more, and when you figure out a solution it's rewarding. But I have my limits too - certain bosses I will hit a sanity limit and move on with summoned help because my free time's also valuable.

Last edited:
Put in a 2TB 5400 RPM 3.5" drive and D/Led a bunch of PS4 games to it and you really feel that slowness compared to the internal drive. I loaded up The Last Guardian and wow that took so long to load lol. When playing Spider-man PS5 and Demon's Souls you kind of forget that it's loading nearly instantly and the switch when say they zone to an indoor area or cut scene. You will be reminded very quickly if you put in a USB HDD and load up a PS4 game from it. :) It's really good that they let you basically have a switch to put all the PS4 games and saves by default onto the external storage. Now they just need to have a "backup" option for PS5 games, that should still be faster than a 1gbps network connection.

Interestingly though I own the Digital copy of Spider-man gold on PS4 but since I bought the ultimate edition of Spider-man MM PS5, I don't see the PS4 version listed in my library for download. I was going to try to install it and do an A/B test but oh well.

It doesn't use it I think. It does use the speaker a little but I think it's just a simple rumble being used. But yeah after playing Astro I was really impressed. I love how you can stiffen the L2 R2 analog triggers. You could really use that to reinforce the feeling of cutting through something hard or even actually lock when you run out of ammo in a clip in shooting games. The haptics are really neat in Astro, the best way to describe it is like a mono speaker system (rumble) vs a full surround sound speaker system (dual sense haptics).

Steam just added official support for the PS5 controllers via a beta update. Just the basic functionality for now. I don't have massive expectations, but it would be neat if cross-platform games could get haptic and controller audio support on the PC as well. Never happened on for the DS4, but I can hope.

With Demon's Souls, I'm looking forward to all of the world interactions there are sure to be over the next few months. Whenever a new Souls game launches, there is stuff all over the ground to either help, amuse, or screw you. The audience falls off over time so you can't really replicate that experience down the line.

I'm using the PS5 controller on my PC currently and I can see why people are pretty much dazzled by it. I can't wait to see what it can do with its full feature set when I finally get the friggin' console.

Steam just added official support for the PS5 controllers via a beta update. Just the basic functionality for now. I don't have massive expectations, but it would be neat if cross-platform games could get haptic and controller audio support on the PC as well. Never happened on for the DS4, but I can hope.

With Demon's Souls, I'm looking forward to all of the world interactions there are sure to be over the next few months. Whenever a new Souls game launches, there is stuff all over the ground to either help, amuse, or screw you. The audience falls off over time so you can't really replicate that experience down the line.
I'm using the PS5 controller on my PC currently and I can see why people are pretty much dazzled by it. I can't wait to see what it can do with its full feature set when I finally get the friggin' console.

How do you download whats required to run the Dual Sense PS5 controller on PC?

How do you download whats required to run the Dual Sense PS5 controller on PC?

Make sure you enrolled for Steam Beta updates. It should automatically take. It will be seen as a PS4 controller but it works. All of the features on the Dual Sense do not work yet but the fundamentals do.

Make sure you enrolled for Steam Beta updates. It should automatically take. It will be seen as a PS4 controller but it works. All of the features on the Dual Sense do not work yet but the fundamentals do.

Thanks bud

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
The disc drive sure is noisy when installing games. So far that’s the only audible noise I’ve heard from my PS5 so far. Rather happy with the system. Burned through Spidy remastered, as I didn’t beat it on release, and about to head to Miles. God damn does Spidy remastered feel good in 60fps.

I'm not the best photographer, and also need a new phone, as it took forever to get a somewhat clear picture.

Nice! Any issues with it sideways? Such as more noise or anything? Mine is hopefully coming after thanksgiving so needing to figure out placement until then.

Back