Official GTX 680 overclocking Thread!

This might sound crazy but try playing a heavy Physicx game and watch your temps rocket. I had a Trine 2 marathon over the weekend and the GPU was at 99% utility from start to finish. Never dipped once. I can play BF3 maxed out without breaking a sweat at 64-65C. I was hitting 68-69C in Trine 2 with ultra settings at 2560x1600.

Hint: The "secret method" is paying $99.95 for a EVBot. :D

But yeah, no idea. Probably some resistor shorting or something.

Wow, I thought I got a bad set, but after looking at some of the other OCs being reported here I guess my chips aren't that bad. I'm getting +140mhz core/+400mhz mem in SLI at 125% power.

Strange thing is I crash in benches anytime I go over 125% e.g., 132% power target. Games seem to do ok though...

The first impression I got is that the secret is how to do the hardware modding. In the next paragraph he talk about the Classified having unlocked voltage without needing to hardmod, which gives me the impression that they are talking about unlocking the voltage.

They just didn't want to release their method of modding it I guess.

Regardless, I really wished nVidia did not locked it in the first place.

The first impression I got is that the secret is how to do the hardware modding. In the next paragraph he talk about the Classified having unlocked voltage without needing to hardmod, which gives me the impression that they are talking about unlocking the voltage.

They just didn't want to release their method of modding it I guess.

Regardless, I really wished nVidia did not locked it in the first place.

If you read the rest of the thread supposedly no hard modding was done. How to on hard modding is already out.

So... I just got my Galaxy GTX 680 and I'm trying to use EVGA Precision X v3.0.2 but the Power Target slider is disabled.

What's going on?

It detects the GTX 680 and it shows GPU Clock Offset and Mem Clock Offset (both which are adjustable), but the Power Target is disabled (and doesn't show any value next to it).

I've tried drivers 301.10 and 301.24, and even re-installed Windows but nothing worked...

I also tried MSI Afterburner but that had the exact same problem...

Please help!

What tools are you using to verify a card overclock works? Just run a game? Thinking that I might want to OC mine when I set up my third screen next week.

Last edited:
What tools are you using to verify a card overclock works? Just run a game? Thinking that I might want to OC mine when I set up my third screen next week.

You can run OC scanner for a little while.

You can download it at EVGA's website.

Heaven is a quick test, if it passes that then just throw some games at it.

This card is memory bandwidth starved, big time. You get a nice performance boost with high memory clocks, especially with surround.

Not terribly great results here with a Galaxy 680.

Seems stable at +100 core / +200 memory. Anything above +110 crashes on Heaven after like 20 seconds, and at +110 I get artifacting (Is that core or memory? Not sure these days).

Core hits just shy of 1200 MHz, memory shows as ~3200 MHz or something. Any advice?

I picked up an asus 680 out of a gtx 580 rma that's been going on since feb 16th. Asus is the suck but they made up for it I guess... It only took 1 week shy of 3 months to get me a card LOL

Was it worth it? well this card does 1230 mhz so far in 3d without issue. Not really sure how that works I set card to 1100mhz by adding 94mhz gpu clock offset, boost ends up 1153 but it reads 1231 in game?

Stock card in game was 1137mhz with 132%

This card is memory bandwidth starved, big time. You get a nice performance boost with high memory clocks, especially with surround.

I'll have to mess with that next week. The 7970 gets up to 264GB/s while nVidia hits 192GB/s. That being said in the GTX 680 reviews there is speculation that nVidia must be more efficient with memory utilization (implying needing less memory to do the same work compared to AMD) so maybe they didn't need more than a 256-bit bus for 99% of users. I've got Crysis, Civ 5, ME1, ME2, and Skyrim that I can run through. In the meantime I'm going to go read that overclocking review again...

Yeah, some games really show improvements from overclocking the memory. The memory overclocks like crazy on my card too. I've been running a +502 offset for the ram recently. I think that +600 might be stable but I haven't really tried to push the memory clocks.

I picked up an asus 680 out of a gtx 580 rma that's been going on since feb 16th. Asus is the suck but they made up for it I guess... It only took 1 week shy of 3 months to get me a card LOL

Was it worth it? well this card does 1230 mhz so far in 3d without issue. Not really sure how that works I set card to 1100mhz by adding 94mhz gpu clock offset, boost ends up 1153 but it reads 1231 in game?

Stock card in game was 1137mhz with 132%

I believe in most cases, the card usually exceed its rated boost speed, unless you hit severe temperature which causes it to cut back on the clock speed during gaming.

Mine artifacted when the memory was too high.

Oddly enough, if I leave the core at +100 I can get the memory up to +300 or possibly even more with no artifacts. Once the core goes +110 or higher I either get weird artifacts flashing once every 20 seconds or so, or a complete driver crash.

Temps are about ~32C idle, ~75-80C full load with ~50% fan speed (automatic).

Running a single card setup, what is the highest clocks you can jump to right out of the gate? I don't have much experience with overclocking GPU's.

Specs: EVGA GTX 680 SC+, i7 920 @4ghz, 6gb OCZ 1600 DDR3, 750TX Corsair PSU

Running a single card setup, what is the highest clocks you can jump to right out of the gate? I don't have much experience with overclocking GPU's.

For me it was about +100 core, +300 memory or so. Might be able to go higher on memory but from what I've read, anything above +350 or so is kinda useless. Anything above +100 core for me crashes the drivers rather quickly.

General question: Does forcing the voltage to max make any difference? Because when my card clocks up it seems to jump to the max of 1.175 or whatever it is anyway. I'm using max Power Target as well, obviously.

Yeah, some games really show improvements from overclocking the memory. The memory overclocks like crazy on my card too. I've been running a +502 offset for the ram recently. I think that +600 might be stable but I haven't really tried to push the memory clocks.

Damn fine mem oc'r, nice draw of the straw.

I can tip you on a couple things. First, you have an SC+, so you likely won't be able to apply the offsets ppl with vanillas are, however, you won't need to as your stock clocks already should be higher than vanillas. Second, throwing huge clocks right out of the gate isn't what you want to do. Start with small increments on the core, and run a stress bench/app for a period of time, keep going up until it crashes, then back off a step. With the core back at stock, do the same to mem oc and treat artifacts like a crash and back off a step when you see them. Then you can find the balance of mem and core oc, by first deciding which one is more important. Don't be surprised that applying the highest mem and core oc you've found by themselves causes a crash, it can be expected and you'll have to back off the clock that is least important to you. If they work together without a crash, great card.

General question: Does forcing the voltage to max make any difference? Because when my card clocks up it seems to jump to the max of 1.175 or whatever it is anyway. I'm using max Power Target as well, obviously.

I've read several user statements and tested myself that it does not.

Supposedly that is just the minimum voltage (so it won't downvolt below that). Could help if you were crashing at idle, and I've heard it might help with memory overclocks, but it didn't seem to do anything for mine.

I can tip you on a couple things. First, you have an SC+, so you likely won't be able to apply the offsets ppl with vanillas are, however, you won't need to as your stock clocks already should be higher than vanillas. Second, throwing huge clocks right out of the gate isn't what you want to do. Start with small increments on the core, and run a stress bench/app for a period of time, keep going up until it crashes, then back off a step. With the core back at stock, do the same to mem oc and treat artifacts like a crash and back off a step when you see them. Then you can find the balance of mem and core oc, by first deciding which one is more important. Don't be surprised that applying the highest mem and core oc you've found by themselves causes a crash, it can be expected and you'll have to back off the clock that is least important to you. If they work together without a crash, great card.

Thanks for the information.

I will post my results.

Gigabyte GTX 680, regular cooler (1 fan.)
Max voltage. 3600mhz memory. +200 or so mhz on core clock to about 1270mhz.

Increased avg. FPS in Batman AC to 51fps avg. with FXAA High and Extreme settings, all DX11 features at high, etc.

Last edited:
So does the OVP kick in at around 1300mhz?
this card is a beast I have not seen one artifact or issue but if I push to 1310 it shuts down EVERYTHING LOL
I have set it to +155 and in Bf3 it goes up to 1292mhz without a hiccup @ 64c

So does the OVP kick in at around 1300mhz?
this card is a beast I have not seen one artifact or issue but if I push to 1310 it shuts down EVERYTHING LOL
I have set it to +155 and in Bf3 it goes up to 1292mhz without a hiccup @ 64c

Damn, you got a good one @ 1292. Shut down everything -- mine too, one notch too much, instant black screen, PC is dead, no driver recovery ever (thought at a much lower 1240).

Mine seems to stop at 1310. Small steps after that don't seem to do anything, and big ones artifact.

Offset I used was +200 on the core and +400 on memory.

Not that any of this matters, as I'm going to run it stock! :)

Using Heaven benchmark I got my core clock up +65 with the Mem clock at +225 stable.

That is giving me a total of 1254 on the GPU and 3330 on the Mem. I didn't push the memory anymore past +225 yet so I will work on it a bit. I just wanna play BF3 now :p.

Back