*** Official Catalyst 4.9 Thread ***

heh
gonna install these when I reboot

whats so bad about the new cp?

can i install the old cp and new drivers or?

For some strange reason after installing the new drivers, fast-writes was turned on. I was told that only 9600 somethings should use that, and all others should turn it off. I completely uninstalled 4.8 via UninstallAll and then installed the newest. FastWrites never were turned on, so I am just curious if I should leave it.

I've always had fw turned on.

Unfortunately I still have that bug where 2 CLIE.exe' are running and I have to restart runtime in order to get the ccc running. :(

i have had a wierd issue. with the new CC and the 4.9s my refrest rate override didnt work. when running certain games (read: HL mods) it defaults back to 60hz, even with the "Force..." feature enabled for 85hz.

once i uninstalled the CC and kept the 4.9s, the refresh rate override worked just dandy ... i think i like my old control panel better anyway lol ! :D

Anyone run any performance comparisons with UT2004 for the official 4.7s and official 4.9s (1280x1024)?

Greets W1z. I think there is something wrong with the CAT49 soft mod. After I manually install and reboot, the display settings default to 640x480, 4 bit color. It will not allow me to change these settings. I tried reinstalling 3 times but the same thing happened each time. Reinstalled the CAT48 soft mod and things work properly again. Could you please recheck the patched ati2mtag.sys for the current version? I appreciate your work.

EDIT: W1z, I think I found the problem. The link for the patched CAT49 ati2mtag.sys file on your site is actually for the CAT48 version. The file size is 394KB (CAT48) instead of 404KB (CAT49). Please upload the correct file at your earliest convenience. Thanks, AMD

All is fine initially, but now I got two hard-locks in an hour! That would be a first for my new system. And its not like the games were pushing my system, I was running True Crime and then Kill Switch. Hardly memory hogs. Anyone else experiencing this?

has anyone tried the 4.9s?

i want to get some benchmark results before i upgrade.

Thanks to W1z for quickly responding to and handling the soft mod problem. The ATI community can always depend on you. Cheers.

The official 49 performs the same as the beta 49 and outperforms 48 in 3DM1 significantly. 3DM3 improvement is insignificant or within the margin of error. For the D3 Timedemo, the 37 OGL outperforms both 48/49 OGLs. The latest OGLs are not optimized for old-gen cards like mine.

Abit AN7
XP-M 2400 2.65GHz, 230FSB
3x256 PC3500 11,2,2,2
9500 -> 9700 423/315

CAT48
3DM1 20,3xx
3DM3 6,40x

CAT49
3DM1 20,5xx
3DM3 6,43x

D3 Timedemo 1280x1024, High Quality, no AA/AF

CAT37 atioglxx.dll

CAT49 atioglxx.dll

i installed the new cats 4.9, then rebooted and got a BSOD. so i uninstalled 4.9 and went back to 4.8 and it work perfect.

I BSOD'ed when i changed my AA also. Its totally reproducable so im sending an email. ill go back to 4.8's soon.

Do you guys use radlinker or radclocker? If so older versions of the software might be causing the bsod's

gsboriqua said:
I've always had fw turned on.

Unfortunately I still have that bug where 2 CLIE.exe' are running and I have to restart runtime in order to get the ccc running. :(

.NET 1.1 installed?

Loaded the drivers last night, UT2k4 runs 20% faster on my machine now, Far cry seems to run a ton better as well.

Way to go ATI :)

scorpy said:
For some strange reason after installing the new drivers, fast-writes was turned on. I was told that only 9600 somethings should use that, and all others should turn it off. I completely uninstalled 4.8 via UninstallAll and then installed the newest. FastWrites never were turned on, so I am just curious if I should leave it.
Why would you turn something off when it can help performance?

Why would you turn something off when it can help performance?

I have heard that fast writes have caused issues with several games, and only the 9600 series needed it. I have never had it on, and hadn't had any issues beforehand. Am I completely wrong here? But my two hard-locks make me think this might be the issue. If anyone knows more about this, I would love to hear.

i dont see a option to enable v-sync with the new control panel, anyone know how to access vsync settings?

scorpy said:
I have heard that fast writes have caused issues with several games, and only the 9600 series needed it. I have never had it on, and hadn't had any issues beforehand. Am I completely wrong here? But my two hard-locks make me think this might be the issue. If anyone knows more about this, I would love to hear.
Try turning it on and leaving it on for a while. I have had my fast writes on from the beginning. Not one issue either. Its laways worth a try and you can always turn it back off if it screws something up while on.

i find these drivers to be fine thus far, but i can't say im a fan of the catalyst control center :(

next time i'll have to remember to get the package without the control center.

Performance drop in Aquamark 3 (loss of like 2000 marks)
Performance Increase in DOOM 3 but has wierd display problems (+6fps, went all black when i went outside)
Performance drop in Counter-Strike Source(-2fps)

going back to 4.8s

I have been using the 4.9's and no complaints here. However, I don't like the new Control Center, I find it hard to use and still has lots o' bugs in it. I prefer having more control with the regular control panels

Sonique said:
Performance Increase in DOOM 3 but has wierd display problems (+6fps, went all black when i went outside)

Same thing happened here (all black outside Mars City). It turned out that CAT49 didn't agree with my mem OC.

Seems like 4.9s slaughtered my Halo performance... Used to run VERY smooth at 800x600 and now it is a slideshow :mad: Going back to 4.8s as we speak...

lately i had issues with texture corruption in call of duty and doom 3; and nfsu ran very bright and jerky/choppy. i uninstalled them and put the 4.8's back on which fixed nfsu, but doom 3 and call of duty still seem to have problems. i'm guessing uininstalling drivers with ati's 'uninstall utility' isn't quite good enough ;)

hmm from what i have read so far there is no point in getting the 4.8s they seem kinda crap and the CP is fux0rd, I think I will stick with the 4.8s I have no performance or IQ issues anyways so it would be cats curiosity only.

They won't even run properly on my computer. Everything is a slideshow even the desktop after I install them. However the CS:S patches seem to be fixing my texture flickering and frame rates. 4.8's rock!

I am using the Omega 4.8's with my X800XT PE. I saw a nice improvement in 3dMark2003 scores. Tried the Catalyst 4.9's and my score dropped. This has nothing to do with real game performance, however.

i downlaoded the new 4.9's with the new cp, when i try to open the new cc it just doesnt open. i watch the processes it will open then close again. and if i goto desktop props then to adv to get to the video settings it shows old cp. How do i get the new ones to open? i tried restart runtime. Still doesnt work the wizard has a thing come up but says failed with ok button.

ComputerBox34 said:
Any word on the 5.0's? Is it going to have new stuff in it?

It will be 4.10, 4.11, 4.12...

The 4 is for the year (2004), and the decimal is for the month(9 = September)...

I installed the Catalyst 4.9 drivers and now my windows display is behaving weird. All the icons that normally have nice drop shadows on them now have just black (or whatever color the desktop is set to) shadows with no alpha-processing. Has anyone seen this? I tried reverting to the 4.8 drivers but it didn't seem to fix anything. What's even more confusing is that it's only happening on one logon account, not the others.

I installed them just to see if they would work ok and of course they didnt.

If yoy right click>properties>settings>advanced... it BSODs, noticed some slight artifacts in games that had none before, so feck theres im going back to the 4.8s :rolleyes:

Yep, the 5.0s will be released for a very brief moment at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve. ;)

That new control center takes forever to load on my system. I am going to reinstall the 4.9s without it.

Back