Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

I based it on the sRGB standard, which - if I'm reading it right - specifies a gamma of 2.2 and white point of 6500K (for all monitors, LCDs and CRTs). I've read that a gamma of 1.8 is traditionallly associated with Apple monitors in the CRT era.

This is a vendor-published whitepaper, but it looks like a good basic intro to the issue:
http://www.portrait.com/us/products/lc_lcd_whitepaper.pdf

Some other links:
http://www.pantone.com/Pages/Panton...ycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration.htm
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration_tools.htm
http://www.poynton.com/Poynton-color.html (very detailed, but dated)

- David

i set my crt to 2.2 also but after i calibrate the LCD with the spyder, the 1.83 looks much more natural than 2.2. if i bring the gamma up to 2.2, i start losing blacks, the whites freak out and the picture looks very unbalanced...
i've never heard of calibrating an LCD to 2.2, because of the lack of blacks in LCD's, you need a lower gamma so the blacks dont turn to dark greys.

maybe its just THIS monitor :confused:

Right now it's
2007/02/01 08:50 ?????? Still nothing...

2007/01/26 21:02 VANCOUVER, BC Shipping details electronically submitted
2007/01/26 16:46 RICHMOND, BC Item accepted and entered into sortation plant

Yours left the sortation plant the next day... mine has been there for almost a week.... this is making me really nervous (i didnt get insurance, i just got the big box)

You might want to try inquiring. I suppose it could be a weather-related delay, or maybe it'll cross the border at a different location, later in its journey. Best wishes with that.

- David

Update:

My order from NCIX was supposed to arrive on the 30th...

I checked the tracking on both the USPS and Canadian Post sites, and after the entire stating it had arrived in the destination country, the next entry says PACKAGE HAS LEFT THE UNITED STATES AND IS IN ROUTE TO CANADA

I talked to NCIX and they're putting a trace on the package, but if it's on its way back to Canada--after NEVER reaching my house--I don't know what to think... The guy even asked me if I missed it? WTF? Even if I did miss it (no notice. Mailbox or Door), why the hell would they send it back to CANADA?

Sorry... I'm a little urked right now...

Ridiculous.

i set my crt to 2.2 also but after i calibrate the LCD with the spyder, the 1.83 looks much more natural than 2.2. if i bring the gamma up to 2.2, i start losing blacks, the whites freak out and the picture looks very unbalanced...
i've never heard of calibrating an LCD to 2.2, because of the lack of blacks in LCD's, you need a lower gamma so the blacks dont turn to dark greys.

maybe its just THIS monitor :confused:

My first attempts color-calibrating the FP241W produced less-than stellar results, even though I used the color software exactly as instructed. The big thing I noticed was a strange blue/green color flaw in the brightest whites when I increased the contrast above 49 or 50. And, I had my brightness setting too low, in the non-optimal range. But now, my monitor looks really good and color-calibrates well.

My understanding of gamma is that the effects of changing it are most apparent on the midtones - not the extremes. So, by itself, it shouldn't affect whites or blacks.

A few things to try:
- Try keeping your contrast at 50 no matter what Spyder advises.
- Set your brightness no lower than 30, as lower brightness will cause the LCD pixels to dim and thus make color calibration more difficult.
- Give your eyes time to adjust to the new color space. The literature in this field states that eyes need time to adjust, and that a color state that looks very odd/unusual/unbalanced may start to look normal over a relatively short amount of time.

Of course, in the end, the most important issue is how good the monitor looks to you. If you get results at 1.8 that match your preferences, then stay with 1.8. I'm particular about the 2.2 because I wanted to adhere to the sRGB standard, which is useful in ensuring that colors look (at least to the colorimeter) exactly as they were intended by the graphic artist or photographer (assuming said graphic artist's or photographer's equipment was calibrated to sRGB).

- David

ATTENTION!
The FP241W could be had at www.directcanada.com for CAD833.99 CAD shipped. I do not have any idea if the monitors they carry have the latest firmware.

With regards to Costco.ca, I have placed an order from them for this monitor. Costco.ca would price match any online canadian store carrying the same item and I called and had them pricematch directcanada.com. The decision is up to costco's buying team and I am not sure if it will be approved...yet. As for the stock carried by Costco, I was told that they are shipped DIRECTLY from the vendor (manufacturer) and despite that, for some reasons, they do not carry the latest firmware. However, if you are in Toronto, you can save yourself some money to get the monitor from costco, bring it to get an update, and enjoy the lifetime return policy.

Having said that, I believe most stock in Canada, do not have the latest firmware and the only place to get an updated version is from Ncix (duh) or to get it updated from the service center in TO. For those who couldn't care less about costco's policy, you can still have ncix pricematch directcanada.

I also have a dell 2407 coming....I wonder if it'd be revision A04...there are already some on ebay

yikes, newegg raised it's price to $899.

buy.com has it for $899, but coupons should be easy to come by.

anyone know what build date buy.com has?

morecomputers.co.uk have confirmed to me that their new stock has the latest version of firmware.......so i bought one, £608 :D

let us know if you recieve a black/black model, tranq said that morecomputers were shipping those, which is to my knowledge the first to be publically sold with firmware update.

I've just unpacked mine. Nov edition without 1:1 :mad:

I'll receive the last components for my new computer tomorrow so I'm waiting with color calibrations until I've got it also set up.

Hopefully I'm able to get it upgraded next week, depending on who is right; benq's channel manager (who claims it's impossible or at least not doable in Scandinavia) or their helpdesk who says that there's a company about 15km away who can do it.

yikes, newegg raised it's price to $899.

buy.com has it for $899, but coupons should be easy to come by.

anyone know what build date buy.com has?

thats ridiculous, a week and a half ago, i ordered from them for $749, $50 off the "regular" price of $799 and it was a weekend special. :eek:

how can they fluctuate their prices like that?!?!?! *pissed*

thats a bunch of BS :mad:

Hi everyone. I just want to give folks a heads-up if you are planning on getting the monitor through NCIX and are an American paying through paypal. The paypal confirmed address (usually through your credit card) MUST match the shipping address otherwise NCIX will not send it to you (they will only ship to your confirmed address). For the vast majority of people, this is the case. However, since my permanent address is listed on paypal account and I'm away from that address, NCIX won't send it to where I am currently located. I now must wait about a week for paypal to send me snail mail to confirm my secondary address. Just thought I would let people know so they don't go through the same issue I am. Cheers!

Hopefully someone can give me a short response. I used to keep up with this thread but I haven't in a while. I read the two most recent pages, but didn't seem to get much out of them except that there are newer firmware versions out that now support 1:1? Can someone shed some light on this so I don't have to go scrolling through pages and pages? Or at least link me to the important posts. Thanks. :)

Hopefully someone can give me a short response. I used to keep up with this thread but I haven't in a while. I read the two most recent pages, but didn't seem to get much out of them except that there are newer firmware versions out that now support 1:1? Can someone shed some light on this so I don't have to go scrolling through pages and pages? Or at least link me to the important posts. Thanks. :)

monitors made after dec. of '06 will have the firmware update in place, if it was manufactured before that, it wont.
in order to get the update you have to send it back to benq so they can perform the upgrade :(

It's not made to show you the quality, since file is diVx compressed but rather colors and absence of any motion lag ;)

IMG_0280_resize.jpg

http://www.uploadline.com/en/file/8485/20080201143255-pq-avi.html

Hi all
Does anybody know if the manufacturing date is on the outside of the packaging?

To all Canucks, DirectCanada is also flashing all their FP241W and they are being sold for CAD833.99 free shipping. Regarding costco....they didn't accept my price match request and gave me a bunch of reasons lol.

I just got an E-Mail--UPS attempted delivery and couldn't. I left a note on my door to leave it with the Property Manager... I just called her and she was supervising a move-out so they left a note on HER door too. :(

I'm going to call UPS in a bit here and see if they can hold it for me at the facility so I can pick it up tonight. I've done this several times before with other packages so hopefully I'll have my Newegg-purchased 24" monitor this evening when I hit Level 70 in WoW! :)

$749 again at the egg

Yea, $749.99 + $16.73, which makes it $42.73 more expensive than before when it was at $723.99 free shipping and handling. And it doesn't even seem like the Newegg monitors have the 1:1 fix, so I'll keep waiting until the price drops back down to $724 or less and also has the 1:1. My guess is that when Newegg inventory finally is rid of "old" monitors and gets ones with 1:1, the price of the monitor will be around $650-675. But by then, I may no longer go with the BenQ as Viewsonic is coming out with their 24" and 28" in a few months.

Some 27" are coming out too, which should drive the price of the 24" monitors down even more. But, in my experience, 24" is way too small and I may opt for one of the new big monitors (26-28"). 30" would be ideal, but they have too much resolution, making the pixel pitch too small. I want to be able to read text at native resolution from my bed 10-15 feet away, which is impossible with the 24" monitors.

Right now it's
2007/02/01 08:50 ?????? Still nothing...

2007/01/26 21:02 VANCOUVER, BC Shipping details electronically submitted
2007/01/26 16:46 RICHMOND, BC Item accepted and entered into sortation plant

Yours left the sortation plant the next day... mine has been there for almost a week.... this is making me really nervous (i didnt get insurance, i just got the big box)

Yeah, mine is like yours, other than my date is 1/29. Maybe they were smuggling WMDs in the box or something. No, I know what it is. Damn canucks are going to use our displays for some HD Super Bowl action, then send then off next week. :( Oh well, good to know that I should expect some kind of updated info on the CP site when it's moving along. I was afraid they were going to be as incompetent as USPS and pretty much have no tracking.

Yea, $749.99 + $16.73, which makes it $42.73 more expensive than before when it was at $723.99 free shipping and handling. And it doesn't even seem like the Newegg monitors have the 1:1 fix, so I'll keep waiting until the price drops back down to $724 or less and also has the 1:1. My guess is that when Newegg inventory finally is rid of "old" monitors and gets ones with 1:1, the price of the monitor will be around $650-675. But by then, I may no longer go with the BenQ as Viewsonic is coming out with their 24" and 28" in a few months.

Some 27" are coming out too, which should drive the price of the 24" monitors down even more. But, in my experience, 24" is way too small and I may opt for one of the new big monitors (26-28"). 30" would be ideal, but they have too much resolution, making the pixel pitch too small. I want to be able to read text at native resolution from my bed 10-15 feet away, which is impossible with the 24" monitors.

Before receiving the 24" from BenQ I considered waiting for the 28" viewsonic as well, but decided not to. The pixel pitch is not too great as the monitors get larger. I sit at about 2 feet from my monitor. I was thinking of getting a 26" HDTV, but then I put myself 2 feet away from that and it was ugly. I'm glad I stuck with getting a 24" pc monitor.

I'm going to call UPS in a bit here and see if they can hold it for me at the facility so I can pick it up tonight. I've done this several times before with other packages so hopefully I'll have my Newegg-purchased 24" monitor this evening when I hit Level 70 in WoW! :)

As soon as you get it please post:

-when you ordered from newegg
-manufacture date
-whether your unit has the 1:1 firmware

Why was it ugly sitting two feet away from a 26" HDTV? I have a 27" Olevia HDTV (but the resolution is on the low end, no where near 1080p, more like 720p) and from two feet away, it doesn't look ugly, but it doesn't have the res I want.

I thought 24" would be big enough, but I checked them out in person and they simply aren't as big as I thought. I would like to read text from about 10 feet away. I can ALMOST do it with a 24", but not quite.

Pixel pitch on a 26" HDTV isn't that great. Nothing like on a PC monitor. If you're reading text from 10' away you're definitely not looking for a 24" monitor. I'm sure the 28" viewsonic coming out doesn't have the same pixel density as the BenQ.

Okay, maybe I'm not understanding some terms here.

Pixel density
Resolution
Pixel pitch

If the 28" Viewsonic has a resolution of 1920x1200 - and I'm pretty sure it will - (same as the 24" BenQ), then the text should be physically bigger than the text on the BenQ), which would make it easier to read from farther away.

I can make text out on a 24" monitor (1920x1200) from about 5-6 feet away. I hope to increase that reading distance to 10 or more feet, and I'm guessing that 28" will do the trick.

received mine from NCIX today, ordered it on Tuesday with zero dead pixel warranty and air shipping, excellent monitor so far.

As soon as you get it please post:

-when you ordered from newegg
-manufacture date
-whether your unit has the 1:1 firmware

Ordered: 01/30/2007; Received: 02/01/2007
Manufacture Date: November 2006
1:1.... nope, but I don't care.

Overall: fantastic monitor, zero dead pixels.... I immediately lowered the brightness to 35 and the contrast went down a bit, too (I think I'm at 40 ATM). I'll have to calibrate it at some time, but for now I'm just happy with what I've got! :)

Yeah, mine is like yours, other than my date is 1/29. Maybe they were smuggling WMDs in the box or something. No, I know what it is. Damn canucks are going to use our displays for some HD Super Bowl action, then send then off next week. :( Oh well, good to know that I should expect some kind of updated info on the CP site when it's moving along. I was afraid they were going to be as incompetent as USPS and pretty much have no tracking.

i was hoping to have it last friday, but i dont think i'll even have it for this friday. *sigh*

also, supposedly although they have tracking.. it's not accurate like it is for fedex or ups. Most people get their packages before the tracking updates that it's even in the country. In another case, the guy's tracking didnt update until the package was returned.

hi guy,s i,m new here but like a few others been folowing this post from day 1 looks like a nice monitor but i need to ask a question is this monitor better for gaming than crt i have a iiyama vision mast pro 514 21" really get a little eye strain with my crt will the benq be easier on my eyes for gaming and all round use ????? is it good in widescreen as they say for gaming ? hope someone can help cheers all

me again one more question can i hook the benq up to a freeview digi box in the uk ? cheers :confused:

Anyone care to answer my question about odd resolutions? Say you want to game in 1280x1024 (because your graphics card is not up to 1960x1024 for a particular game), how will it look?

In the mean time, here is some info from Benq UK on their dead pixel policy:

http://www.benq.co.uk/support/downl...3.61.96.30/warranties/display/pixelpolicy.pdf

1960x1280 monitor, 2.3 million pixels
5 black/white pixels, or 12 "other errors" (like stuck colours). 0 black/white clusters (so 2 or more next/near to each other?) or 5 "other error" clusters.

hi guy,s i,m new here but like a few others been folowing this post from day 1 looks like a nice monitor but i need to ask a question is this monitor better for gaming than crt i have a iiyama vision mast pro 514 21" really get a little eye strain with my crt will the benq be easier on my eyes for gaming and all round use ????? is it good in widescreen as they say for gaming ? hope someone can help cheers all

its OK for gaming, but you have to remember NO LCD even with no input lag, 0 response time, etc. is better than a CRT for gaming...
LCD's are just too slow still, and if you play any FPS's online and actually care about how you do in them, you're going to be disappointed using an LCD, no matter what LCD/brand it is.

Anyone care to answer my question about odd resolutions? Say you want to game in 1280x1024 (because your graphics card is not up to 1960x1024 for a particular game), how will it look?

stretched, if you dont have the 1:1 pixel mapping update

so you are saying all lcd,s are rubbish ? what about a digi box in the uk can i use one with the benq 24" ? cheers

Okay, maybe I'm not understanding some terms here.

Pixel density
Resolution
Pixel pitch

If the 28" Viewsonic has a resolution of 1920x1200 - and I'm pretty sure it will - (same as the 24" BenQ), then the text should be physically bigger than the text on the BenQ), which would make it easier to read from farther away.

I can make text out on a 24" monitor (1920x1200) from about 5-6 feet away. I hope to increase that reading distance to 10 or more feet, and I'm guessing that 28" will do the trick.

Agreed. 28" will probably do the trick at 10 feet. But pixel density is the number of pixels/inch. Just like the PSP has a high pixel density for such a small screen. For folks like me who sit closer to their screens and live in small spaces it's better to have a greater pixel density. The Xbox 360 stretched from 1280 x 720 on VGA looks a teeny bit blurry, so on a 28" (again in my case) it would be worse. To remedy that I would have to sit further back as well.

so you are saying all lcd,s are rubbish ? what about a digi box in the uk can i use one with the benq 24" ? cheers

no not at all, but they cant beat a crt for gaming, period. a CRT has none of the hangups associated with LCD's as far as input lag, response time, etc...
just dont try to use one in a FPS tourney, its not a good idea :(

as far as the other question goes, i dont have a clue :confused:

No one is saying all LCDs are rubbish, just that currently they aren't as responsive as CRTs.

Back