Official 300 Series Announcement

XFXSupport

XFX Representative
Hey Guys,

I made a promise that if I ever got word of any new product launches or dates, i would share them.

Official as of noon today, AMDradeon tweeted there will be new Desktop GPUs this quarter; The 300 Series.

Obviously, no big surprises here, a lot of people had speculated correctly. At least now we know its "for sure" and the date is sometime before July 1st. (end of 2nd quarter)

Source: https://twitter.com/AMDRadeon

UPDATE 6/4/2015 - 10:00AM PST.

AMD has an official video with what appears to be a launch date. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra4V_SUDrGw

Series Launch Date: 6.16.2015

edit- fixed date, thanks The_Mac

Last edited:
Thanks for the update XFX. Can't wait to see how many cards that AMD will release.

If what I'm reading is correct from the AMD forum, it's not a new architecture?

@XFXSupport my next card will be a XFX if the card you'll send Kyle Bennett and the crew passes their testing with flying colors. :)

So transparent now Prime1?
You do not even bother sugar coating your trolling.
You just go straight to the link.

This is going to be our first taste of HBM, so I'm excited to see what it can do. Maybe the key to unlocking performance at 4k/5k? :p

I sure hope they are not using that inadequate stock cooler again. Even if it is redesigned internally or just used for promotion in this slide, it just invokes bad vibes

I sure hope they are not using that inadequate stock cooler again. Even if it is redesigned internally or just used for promotion in this slide, it just invokes bad vibes
The reference design of the 390X is going to use an AIO water cooler. WCCFTech has a supposed picture of what it will look like. It's really closeup, but it gives a good perspective of the compact PCB that is possible with HBM.

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-fiji-xt-r9-390x-pictured-features-small-form-factor-water-cooling/

The 390X is sounding like a large Tonga chip overclocked to the max, so that it won't be able to be air cooled. The rest of the line up looks like rebadges. Everything is pointing to 2016 for a new architecture from AMD.

Tonga is GCN 1.2 and these cards are 1.3, so they definitely aren't Tongas.
Presumably, a fully-enabled Tonga with a heavy OC still wouldn't be fast enough to justify releasing as a flagship.

And when has AMD ever taken a 1 year old mid-range GPU and released the full version as their new flagship?

Tonga is GCN 1.2 and these cards are 1.3, so they definitely aren't Tongas.
Presumably, a fully-enabled Tonga with a heavy OC still wouldn't be fast enough to justify releasing as a flagship.

And when has AMD ever taken a 1 year old mid-range GPU and released the full version as their new flagship?

They are heavily based on the Tonga architecture.

From what I have heard everything under Fiji, its all rebrands, performance/price wise they will match up with nV's offerings, but its all about the power usage.

They are heavily based on the Tonga architecture.
And where is that info coming from?
The only people I see mentioning Tonga are forum users.

performance/price wise they will match up with nV's offerings, but its all about the power usage.
Why does everyone insist on weighing options in Nvidia's favor?
AMD's performance is better. AMD's price is better. But oh no, the power is worse... Better buy Nvidia. :rolleyes:

What if Nvidia had better performance, better price, but AMD had better power usage? Would you buy AMD in that case? Weird how it doesn't work both ways.

Think I was an OEM gpu release that everyone is using, especially the fearful. They haven't released much if any on the consumer gpu 300series yet.

The 200 oem cards line up with the retail cards.
But the OEM HD8000 series doesn't.
Most OEM cards don't. Heck there are some OEM and discrete GPU's with the same name but totally different GPU's.

It's like a ink blot test. People who don't like AMD will see a 300-series full of rebrands, everybody else will see crappy OEM cards that nobody cares about.
Today's a fun day. We get to see who hates AMD and/or has no idea what they're talking about, and who has a functioning brain.

And... go.

Found this on the R9 Graphics web page:

Frame Rate Target Control (FRTC)

Fine-tune your graphics with real-time frame rate control limiting the maximum frame rate during gameplay, reducing GPU power consumption.

Is this what AMD teased in December? Because it's not actually in the drivers yet as far as I know.

And where is that info coming from?
The only people I see mentioning Tonga are forum users.

Outside of the memory interface they haven't changed much of the architecture, they didn't have time to. Simple understanding of how long it takes from design to manufacture GPU's tells you that.

Why does everyone insist on weighing options in Nvidia's favor?
AMD's performance is better. AMD's price is better. But oh no, the power is worse... Better buy Nvidia. :rolleyes:

What if Nvidia had better performance, better price, but AMD had better power usage? Would you buy AMD in that case? Weird how it doesn't work both ways.
Similar performance to nV's offerings, within a few % points either way, power usage is very very high though with competitive parts.

power consumption should be the last factor while deciding to purchase a gpu for the average user.
Better power consumption is a nice thing to have but when i see people saying that they can save on their electricity bills coz of a nvidia card over a 295x2, THAT IS JUST PURE BS.

power consumption should be the last factor while deciding to purchase a gpu for the average user.
Better power consumption is a nice thing to have but when i see people saying that they can save on their electricity bills coz of a nvidia card over a 295x2, THAT IS JUST PURE BS.
The "saving money" part goes in hand with the extra heat produced by higher power requirements. I don't know about anyone else, but I like to play on my PC in a cool room. Living in South Florida, this means a longer and harder running A/C, which does have a significant effect on the power bill.

The "saving money" part goes in hand with the extra heat produced by higher power requirements. I don't know about anyone else, but I like to play on my PC in a cool room. Living in South Florida, this means a longer and harder running A/C, which does have a significant effect on the power bill.

A/Cs have a much bigger impact on power bill as opposed to a 150w difference on a GFX Card,
that would be like $15 / Year which is a nice thing to have, but the what kind of person will take that into consideration while buying a graphics card over raw performance per $?

A/Cs have a much bigger impact on power bill as opposed to a 150w difference on a GFX Card,
that would be like $15 / Year which is a nice thing to have, but the what kind of person will take that into consideration while buying a graphics card over raw performance per $?
You're missing the point. I'm saying that it could be a consideration for people living in warmer climates because the extra heat generated by more power hungry hardware is going to affect their power bill in a significant way. It doesn't bother me because I am accustomed to it, but the difference could be enough to sway your decision.

In my case, my power bill is around $150/month during the summer during occasions when I'm not home a lot and not using my PC. Last month, though, I had my PC going at least 6 hours a day for gaming and the power bill nearly doubled to $300 for the month of April due to the extra work my A/C had to do because of the heat my PC was dumping into the room. We're already averaging low 90F degrees during the day. It was already 82F outside when I woke up at 7:00 this morning.

You're missing the point. I'm saying that it could be a consideration for people living in warmer climates because the extra heat generated by more power hungry hardware is going to affect their power bill in a significant way. It doesn't bother me because I am accustomed to it, but the difference could be enough to sway your decision.

In my case, my power bill is around $150/month during the summer during occasions when I'm not home a lot and not using my PC. Last month, though, I had my PC going at least 6 hours a day for gaming and the power bill nearly doubled to $300 for the month of April due to the extra work my A/C had to do because of the heat my PC was dumping into the room. We're already averaging low 90F degrees during the day. It was already 82F outside when I woke up at 7:00 this morning.

By that logic AMD cards should save people in the north on their energy bills during the winter months. Maybe someone should make a graph to see Nvidia/AMD marketshare based on climate ;)

By that logic AMD cards should save people in the north on their energy bills during the winter months. Maybe someone should make a graph to see Nvidia/AMD marketshare based on climate ;)

I am in Chicago with a 290x and I can confirm that when it was -17F this winter I was glad I had an amd card. It's biting me in the ass now though cause my central air just died ;)

power consumption should be the last factor while deciding to purchase a gpu for the average user..

Actually it should be one of the first factors, if it means they have to buy a new PSU.

Suddenly buying the cheaper video card is not so cheap. If you have to add in the cost of a new power supply, extra case fan or even a new case entirely.

^^ yeah that part makes total sense, same thing happened to me while choosing between a realllllly cheap 290 and a gtx 970 with a 500w psu.

but i got the 290 and will kill my PSU soon hopefully..
But yeah in these cases power can be a strong factor

The 290 peaks around 250W gaming.
What kind of monster rig must you be running to even come close to 500W?

Back