office max law suit

bpimmerman

[H]ard|Gawd
this is taken from : http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=387&e=1&u=/ibsys/20050114/lo_wews/2537897

Attorney General Files Suit Against OfficeMax

Ohio's Attorney General Jim Petro has filed suit against Office Max, Inc. for allegedly failing to honor rebates and failing to provide rain checks.

Petro said he received more than 100 complaints in the past two years about OfficeMax, which also has an unsatisfactory rating with the Better Business Bureau.

The lawsuit asks that OfficeMax stops any further business practices that violate the Consumer Sales Practices Act. This would include not honoring rebate or providing rain checks.

The suit also asks that OfficeMax pay damages to consumers who have not received rebates.

Just thought you guys would like to know

OfficeMax and Office Depot are so expensive. They're only worth buying from when they have deals. Staples is usually decent.

Ive actually gotten them to give me rain checks on stuff, but they never honor them, probably just gave me one to shut me up. I quit shopping there, bunch of scum.

Great balls of fire! Good to see the lawyers sockin it to the OD and OM Man! Dont let them tread on us brothers! Unjustly and indiscreminantly stealing from us all!

Sock it to them brothers and sisters! Right on! Dig it!

I don't think stores are required to provide rainchecks if it's specifically stated it's their policy not to. Staples doesn't give rainchecks either.

Glad to see OfficeMax going down. I worked for them for over a year and quit right after my "yearly review." They told me i had the most sales in the electronics dept. and had one of the few areas that had no theft. This stellar peformance allowed me a huge raise...from $6.50 to $6.75 /hr. Fuck those fuckers.

live in ohio.

an office max near me just closed down. last christmas i got screwed out of a 80$ rebate on a hdd.

though i love office depot. the people at our local one know about the stuff they are selling.

this past black friday, i bought alotof rebate stuff from them and got like over 10 emails so far saying the postmark date was invalid, glad i aslways make copies of it before hand to proove them wrong, those bastards..

OM denied my 40 rebate. i am angry and they suck. glad someone is stickin out for us little ppl.

unreal said:
this past black friday, i bought alotof rebate stuff from them and got like over 10 emails so far saying the postmark date was invalid, glad i aslways make copies of it before hand to proove them wrong, those bastards..

how do you prove the postmark was right?

my friend has a business at home and a postage machine and copier, i postmark the envelope and address it, then make a copy of everything inside along with the envelope. staple put in file, done, now i have a folder tracking my rebates...

unreal said:
my friend has a business at home and a postage machine and copier, i postmark the envelope and address it, then make a copy of everything inside along with the envelope. staple put in file, done, now i have a folder tracking my rebates...

That is an awesome idea Unreal. Now if only I had, or knew someone that had one of those machines.

edit: However, I've recieved all of my OfficeMax rebates

I have received all my OM rebates; usually its staples that fails to honor them.
Still, maybe this lawsuit will make all the others doing rebates to wake up and start honoring them.

There's only one OfficeMax I know of around here, and it's too far away to bother with (another one closed down about two years ago.) Anymore, Staples is the only one I go to (there's 2 of them nearby, and I've never had a problem with them honoring rebates, and in fact they tend to be very quick with them.

VERY glad to see this happening! :D

OfficeMax has screwed me on several rebates. I have had several those missing or invalid information cards sent back to me when I made copies of everything. The worst ones were on Khypermedia and Mad Dog products I bought from them.

I proably should have stayed away from Officemax when it took forever to get the rebate check for the Prime Peripherals 200 pack of CD-R's I bought back in 2001. A lot of people got shafted on that deal.

Officemax is in big trouble - thier retail division president quit last week, and thier chief financial officer just quit after two months on the job, and they are closing more stores.
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/dccd7b9c-64ee-11d9-9f8b-00000e2511c8.html

also see http://comments.fuckedcompany.com/phpcomments/index.php?newsid=105883&page=1&parentid=0&crapfilter=1

It makes you wonder now, will they now honor the rebates and the rainchecks. But yes lately items have been expensive at either officemax or officedepot. I have recieved my rebate from officemax just the other day, regarding my belkin 54g wireless router.

Gosh and I signed up for the office depot advantage rewards card, each time I go into a store, the prices are crazy. I have never used this card, because their stuff costs too much.

ScubaSteve said:
how do you prove the postmark was right?

Use priority mail. It is 3 day guarenteed, will cost only a couple of bucks for a letter, and comes with tracking. I love when a company calls my business asking where payment was for X invoice and telling them it was delivered to them last week, want the tracking number?

hold up people. Remember the last big lawsuit against paypal in which all the money went to the lawyers, hardly any to the users? This may be different since it is brought on by the state, but lets be weary

Usually a state's attorney general gets better deals for ripped off consumers than a class action would. The Atty General gets paid a salary with Taxpayer money, unlike a litigator who gets paid by the hour or the lions share of the settlement.

Office Depot and Office Max are both good places if you buy on deals. If you buy at regular prices they are OK. But no place except for online sites like Newegg or Monarch are priced fairly.

Office Depot will sometimes give rainchecks and I know that if it's been past the time that you were suppose to recieve a rebate in the mail, you can go into the store and demand they pay you the rebate money and they will. I've seen it first hand.

I am also glad about this lawsuit. I got screwed by officemax's complicated rebate "book" because I selected the wrong spindle of CD-Rs nevermind their vague descriptions. Why can't you just give me the right fucking rebate form for the right item instead of handing every customer a book? I also had them try to deny one of my rebates because they said it wasn't bought on the right day. Good thing I made a copy of the receipt.

they denied my rebate becuz they said i had to register online for this particular rebate. but how can i register online when it never told me to? it didn't say it on the rebate nor did they tell me when they printed out my rebate. i hate them. that was the piece of information they said i was missing which was when i checked the rebate when they sent me my email bout it.

Back