Odd problem with new build

USMC_Grunt

Gawd
Ok so I just recieved all of my parts a few hours ago.

I have:
Core 2 Duo 6400
Asus P5N-E SLI
1 gig G.Skill DDR2-800
XClio Goodpower 500W
EVGA 7900GS
Centurion 5
etc... (It doens't matter right now)

Ok I put all of the above together including the HD and DVD-R, hit power, all fans spin for a half of a second, power led comes on and then nothing. I unhook absolutely everything I don't need and I am left with the list above. Same thing, half a second and then nothing. I try to eliminate things by pulling out the video card, reseating the ram, HSF and processor and still same result.

I am stuck so I am fooling around with the power and reset button in frustration. I hold down the reset button and hit the power button. Everything spins up and stays on as long as I hold that button. No video (of course) but its a first step. No POST beeps or anything either. As long as I hold down the reset button, the power button works like normal, ex. if I hold it down for 5 seconds it shuts down. I'm confused here (and tired). I'm using the ASUS Q-Connect so I doubt anything is wrong there.

Does anyone know why I'm having that reset/power button issue, why am I getting no video, and why won't my system post?

Thanks everyone.

try plugging the reset button into the power button terminals and hit it and see if it works? put the video card in too and see if it posts

If that doesnt help, howbout unplugging all front pannel connectors, then powering it up using a screwdriver? Also, make sure nothing is shorting out the board (I doubt anything is, but just double check; I think its a switch problem, though). You could also try another power cord.

I've tried every config with the front panel switches and plugged in just the power or reset button and nothing. I can try a different power cord to see if that does anything. I'll remove all uneccessary stuff from my case to make sure nothing is shorting it out too and post back when I get off of work.

I'm still confused as to why it won't POST also, because when I do hold the button to give it power, all the fans go on and the power LED lights up. I can hear the processor fan change speed as it gets hotter/cooler if I hold it long enough.

So far I'm figuring it can't be a PSU issue, I doubt its a memory issue. I also doubt it is a processor issue although I could be wrong (well on all of these I could be wrong). If anything I figure it to be a motherboard issue. However, I am mostly clueless.

Thanks for the replies so far. If anyone has had a similar issue or any other ideas, please let me know, thanks again.

Test it using NO switches, just a screwdriver (or anything metalic) to short the two power button leads.

Ok I got home from work minutes ago and quickly switched power cords, and used a screwdriver to make the connection, same result, half a second and then off.

This is upsetting, but I'm not giving up yet, as you can see I've been trying to make the comp in my sig last me and this is quite the upgrade. Anyone have any other suggestions?

It really sounds like a short or the CPU HSF isnt properly on. wiggle it a bit to make sure it isnt loose.

Yeah, make sure that the cpu and the heatsink are properly seated. I've had the same problem in the past. I took my computer to a lan, and when I returned home it wouldn't post because the heatsink was falling off of the motherboard... quite unfortunate.

That's my advice too. Re-seat everything and see if that solves it.

Also, you could try taking everything out of the case and see if it will boot on a non-conductive surface to rule out the possibility of a case short.

Double check you have your memory inserted into the correct slots for the speed and capacity you purchased.

Do you have all the power headers on the MoBo plugged in? What about the one on the Vid Card?

If you have another PSU lying around, I would try hooking it up to your system to see if that solves the problem.

Well I checked everything over and over and over again, reseated everything, put jumpers and switches in every possible configuration that they could be in and it turns out that there is a design flaw in the manual. The manual clearly does NOT state that there is a slight possiblility of me being a complete idiot. This is an issue that I will have to take up with Asus.

...sigh...

Well guys, its been a while since I've build a computer, and apparently in the last few years they invented this thing called the ATX12V power connector that plugs in right next to the processor. It just so happens that its required to supply everything with enough power. Who would have thought that.

Please don't think less of me...... I'm fragile.

Ahh... you can thank Intel for that little connector, which powers the CPU off of the +12V rail.

Back