Odd experience with voice recognition

Sly

Supreme [H]ardness
Just an observation

Been trying out the voice recognition on both my Galaxy Nexus and Ace. Both works great at first while we were in the kitchen. But then i moved to my computer room and it couldn't understand me at all.

Typical kitchen, stucco walls, padded chairs, wooden tables with tablecloth, one end to the kitchen the other to the livingroom. Computer room had tile floors, smooth sanded concrete walls, handleless closets (No drawers, just a ton of shelves behind closets).

I guess this is what they mean by room acoustics. I didn't think it would also apply to cellphones :confused:

Voice recognition is still awful, no matter what it is. It will still often misunderstand you.

Unless you really HAVE to have it, then just ignore it for now.

My iPhone can understand me while in a semiconductor clean room, which suprised me.

A clean room would be like standing in a room with 20 box fans running....lots of white noise.

Internet reception is good in the offending room? Siri, at least, is Internet based so if internet connection is flaky she won't work well.

are you using the ICS voice recognition? Jelly Bean's is much better, and can be used offline

My iPhone can understand me while in a semiconductor clean room, which suprised me.

A clean room would be like standing in a room with 20 box fans running....lots of white noise.

Internet reception is good in the offending room? Siri, at least, is Internet based so if internet connection is flaky she won't work well.

iPhone has a pretty exceptional noise cancelation chip. A lot of Samsung phones use a similar chip, but at least with the GN it's a different chip that's not in the same league. It's decent enough for a call but crap for recognition. If the AC is on in my car I have to turn it off to use it, that along with road noise kills it.

It's a nexus 4.0.4. Downloaded a sound analyzer and it seems i'll have to go with westrock. Maybe it's because i'm tuning them out, but the phones picking up quite a bit of noise even when it's supposed to be quiet. Sound is muffled in the other parts of the house, but carries pretty well in the computer room. I guess that also means everything else also gets amplified. (I need curtains?)

Ah well, i don't really use voice so it's not an issue.

Back