odd behavior after installing Radeon 4850 x2

gigglebyte

2[H]4U
I just got my Saphire Radeon 4850's and am just freakin amazed at the performance boost over my old Geforce 8800GTS but I have an odd issue that has cropped up. When I boot the system, rather than going to my hard drive to boot, it is trying to access my DVD drive (no disk was in the drive). It will hit it 5 times and then boot normal.

Yes I have checked and the boot order is HD then CD but I have even pulled the CD out of the boot order and ONLY had my HD and it still does this (it didn't do it with the old video card)

I am running Windows 7 on an Asus P5N-E SLI with an E6550, 4 gig of RAM.

something else I noticed this morning since I still had the side of my case open was there appears to be an LED on the back of the card and I would see it flash red once, flash red again and then the DVD drive would try to access.

Any ideas as to what the hell is going on here?

sigh...I think I fucked up here. I was under the impression that crossfire and SLI were the same thing and after some more digging it looks like they aren't which really pisses me off. sigh...now what to do...return the cards and get nVidia replacements or replace the mobo (which I REALLY don't want to do)

What are you talking about? Crossfire and SLI are approximately the same thing. Explain what exactly you want to do and maybe someone can help you...

Do u have an intel/Nvidia board or just an intel board? Cause it should work on an intel board but not intel/nvidia.

I have thought about getting a new mobo but then you are looking at a money pit. My system is a little over 2 years old but I am limited in what I can upgrade my CPU to because of the mobo and even if I could get a faster chip in, it isn't going to be THAT much faster unless I go with an i5 or i7 and to do that I need a new mobo anyway.

I tinkered last night and after pulling the second card my boot issue went away so I do know that was where the issue was. I will probably be returning one of the cards as there is a noticeable improvement performance wise and that is what I was looking for.

Last edited:
Unless your mobo is compatible for SLI/Crossfire, you're going to have problems even using the xfire bridge. Further, SLI and Xfire are completely different so a board that runs NVIDIA in SLI won't (necessarily) run ATI in Xfire.

Back